Best Generals of all Time

Some consideration for:

Erich von Manstein: Perhaps the "best" overall general in 20th Century warfare.

1) Vo Nguyen Giap: Outlasts the Japanese, beats the French and United States over three decades in Vietnam.

Ferdinand Foch: French General, World War I - he saves the Allied bacon three times - at both battles at Marne and the one at Somme.

2) Ulysses Grant: Terrible President, but he saves the Union from certain battlefield defeat but IMO, his most important battle was at Petersburg

1) Hard to disagree with this, but some might say he used up his men, but what else could he do?

2) Yes I think Grant was a great general who kept his cool and understood the flow of events during a battle. The Vicksburg campaign stands out to me as his best. He got along well with people and especially the navy in that instance. If Lee had his Pickett's charge, Grant had his Cold Harbor. His whole overland campaign was well done though. Kept the pressure on and locked Lee down tight while Sherman marched to the sea and up the coast again.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1) Hard to disagree with this, but some might say he used up his men, but what else could he do?

2) Yes I think Grant was a great general who kept his cool and understood the flow of events during a battle. The Vicksburg campaign stands out to me as his best. He got along well with people and especially the navy in that instance. If Lee had his Pickett's charge, Grant had his Cold Harbor. His whole overland campaign was well done though. Kept the pressure on and locked Lee down tight while Sherman marched to the sea and up the coast again.

Giap made my list because there aren't many battlefield commanders with his resume - outlasting or beating back three world powers in three different decades with essentially the same peasant army with small arms. His adversaries, regardless of decade, had fancier hardware, more of it and it got deadlier with each adversary. He was also smart enough to know Vietnam was enough.

Agreed on Grant. I picked Petersburg because that was the decisive battle for Richmond, and thus the war. So long as Richmond survived, the war would continue.

Guderian was a good subject for a University paper decades ago.

Led Panzer invasions of Poland and France, twice retired for directly refusing to carry out orders from his boss (didn't know that was something that was allowed especially a second time), surrendered to the US and deemed not to be charged with war crimes, visited Britain later in life to discuss the battles with his opponents.

Another German tank man gets all the glory for some reason, as much as we feel we are allowed to hand out from the winning side...

Guderian was a good subject for a University paper decades ago.

Led Panzer invasions of Poland and France, twice retired for directly refusing to carry out orders from his boss (didn't know that was something that was allowed especially a second time), surrendered to the US and deemed not to be charged with war crimes, visited Britain later in life to discuss the battles with his opponents.

Another German tank man gets all the glory for some reason, as much as we feel we are allowed to hand out from the winning side...

They got all the glory because they were our only source for information on the Eastern Front. Most of them were interviewed by the US and Britain post-war less out of historical interest than for the practical reason of answering the question "How do we fight the Russians?" Since there were no Russians to contradict their stories, they could make up any old bull **** they wanted, which is why their stories are almost universally "We're all geniuses, and we would have won if it wasn't for friggin' Hitler."

Since they got to write the history of the war unchallenged, it's also why you've never heard of the better junior Wehrmacht generals like Balck, Strachwitz, or Hube (who was called "Der Mensch" by Landsers in 1 Panzer Army - he wasn't "the old man," like most generals. He was just "The Man.") They never had the chance to write or publish their memoirs like Guderian or Manstein (although Balck's were published last year, and I do have them on my bookshelf, as well as Erhard Raus's.)

It's also why you never hear of generals like Rokossovskiy (likely the best general of the war), Pliev, or Malinovsky. The Russians basically treated the entire war as top secret, so we heard nothing but the German point of view in the West for 50 or so years.

Edited by DC Tom

How about Charles Martel? The first European leader to stop the spread of Islam in the 9th century. Or William the Conqeror? If they call you "the Conqueror " you're probably boss. Shaka Zulu maybe?

William the Conqueror was also known as William the Bastard, which is much less flattering. Plus...have you ever read about the battle of Hastings? The Normans won practically by accident, when Harold Godwinson died and the Saxons fell apart.

Shaka, I have high regards for, but can't consider him one of the greatest generals. I'm always amused at how he established the Zulu military legend: before him, Zulu warfare was highly ritualized. Impi would line up across from each other and sing, a couple of big swinging dicks would challenge each other in single combat between the lines, and at the end of the day they'd decide who won and everyone would go home. Then one day, Shaka says to himself "I have ten thousand guys with spears, why the !@#$ are we singing?..."

Harold really had no chance at Hastings. Williams army was based upon mounted cavalry, barbed steeds. Harold was on foot, basically immobile. Think about the difference, Harold might even have lacked command and control, let alone mobility. William was a modern army fighting an ancient army. They had fought together and William learned how backwards the Brits were and understood his army was easily superior to Harolds. That's why he sailed across the channel to bring battle.