Tyrod Taylor's Highlights

cover1

Of course I do. You read what KC got fined for tampering with Maclin. Do you think all the other teams and agents are talking? Don't you think KC would be raising holy hell? Jets got fined just for the owner saying he'd like to have Revis come back. $100,000 for nothing more than that.

Most people in the civilized world play by the rules most of the time. The overwhelming majority, the overwhelming amount of the time. That's true if there are penalties and they are enforced.

Are there cases here and there where someone says something to someone and someone says something back? Probably. But not many.

If you're a GM and you know that the Chiefs got fined in six figures AND lost two draft picks for talking to Maclin, are you really going to talk to Taylor?. In that case Maclin was going to become a free agent, but they talked before the so-called tampering period began. In this case, Taylor had NO RIGHT to be a free agent, so it would have been tampering with a player under contract. Moreover, I believe every GM was pretty sure the Bills would keep Taylor, because they know as well as most people that you don't cut a decent starting QB when you have NO ONE even remotely able to play as well as Taylor. So why would your risk draft picks and fines to talk to a player who most likely was NOT going to become a free agent anyway?

It makes no sense that any GM would be talking to Taylor's agent under those circumstances. Remember, the Maclin case was finally decided only a year ago. Two draft picks for talking to someone early. The penalty for talking to someone who isn't even scheduled to become a free agent has to be worse.

Shaw, rules are broken all the time....all the time. You can't think that an industry of rule breakers are all of a sudden become rule followers because of new rules.

I really think you're being naive Shaw...like excessively naive.

How many schools go on probation for recruiting violations? They see the penalties yet they still violate.

Why did the Chiefs illegally tamper when they saw what happened to the Jets?

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/29/mike-mayock-says-illegal-tampering-goes-on-every-year-at-the-scouting-combine/

Mike Mayock says "illegal tampering" goes on every year at scouting combine

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/26/with-so-much-tampering-nfl-will-struggle-to-police-it-all/

The most-discussed case has been the Jets signing of Darrelle Revis after owner Woody Johnson publicly talked about Revis while he was still under contract to the Patriots. But some of the biggest deals signed in free agency including Ndamukong Suh to Miami and Julius Thomas to Jacksonville were widely believed to be done deals even before it was legal for NFL teams to get deals done with free agents from other teams.

And that points to why its going to be so difficult for the NFL to police tampering: It has become widely acknowledged around the league that its commonplace, and although everyone else is doing it too might not be an air-tight legal defense, it does raise the question of whether its really fair for the NFL to punish some teams for doing things that other teams were surely doing as well.

Maybe Goodell will decide to send a message, make an example of one team, and impose harsh discipline for tampering. Or maybe Goodell will decide that in the grand scheme of things, tampering really isnt that big a problem, and the league would be better off letting it go.

Edited by Teeflebees

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So imagine the penalty for talking to Tyrod while still under contract, not even an impending free agent, with no definite plans for him to be gone. How would the Bills feel if they found out that had happened? That would absolutely destroy any standing they had in negotiations. You guys really think this stuff just happens all the time and teams don't care? Who's being naive here?

FC this is what I was trying to talk about. As discussed, your narrative is that TT sucks and the rest of the teams in the league think so too. If that is the case why would they risk financial penalty or loss of draft picks to talk contract details with him or his agent? I could certainly see your side if he was an impending FA but he was under contract (albeit an option). I would have to imagine the penalties would be more severe than they were in the Maclin or Revis situation since he wasn't an upcoming UFA.

hmm the first with Kaep as an example would fit the idea of tampering while still under contract unlike the others listed. Did Kaep have the opt out option last year too?

FC this is what I was trying to talk about. As discussed, your narrative is that TT sucks and the rest of the teams in the league think so too. If that is the case why would they risk financial penalty or loss of draft picks to talk contract details with him or his agent? I could certainly see your side if he was an impending FA but he was under contract (albeit an option). I would have to imagine the penalties would be more severe than they were in the Maclin or Revis situation since he wasn't an upcoming UFA.

hmm the first with Kaep as an example would fit the idea of tampering while still under contract unlike the others listed. Did Kaep have the opt out option last year too?

You keep making statements like this, which renders a conversation with you impossible.

You keep making statements like this, which renders a conversation with you impossible.

Do you not think that?

edit: and after the Kaep link I may be changing my tune on the possibility of it going down as you suppose. Which is why I am wondering if he had the player opt out last year as well.

Edited by section122

i know you didn't just crawl out from under a rock. so there has to be another explanation for the naivete here.

Shaw is giving us his perspective from a legal standpoint and the point is the penalties should be severe enough to eliminate the problem.

Why would you expect anything different?

I respect Shaws opinion on this...

Edited by Figster

Shaw, rules are broken all the time....all the time. You can't think that an industry of rule breakers are all of a sudden become rule followers because of new rules.

I really think you're being naive Shaw...like excessively naive.

How many schools go on probation for recruiting violations? They see the penalties yet they still violate.

Why did the Chiefs illegally tamper when they saw what happened to the Jets?

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/29/mike-mayock-says-illegal-tampering-goes-on-every-year-at-the-scouting-combine/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/26/with-so-much-tampering-nfl-will-struggle-to-police-it-all/

I'm not entirely following what Mayock is saying there to be honest. Is he saying agents at the combine are casually asking GMs if they have an interest in their players? He kind of just throws out the phrase "illegal tampering" and doesn't elaborate. I am curious what he means and how far these casual discussions go.

I'm not entirely following what Mayock is saying there to be honest. Is he saying agents at the combine are casually asking GMs if they have an interest in their players? He kind of just throws out the phrase "illegal tampering" and doesn't elaborate. I am curious what he means and how far these casual discussions go.

It means they are violating NFL rules. I don't think there needs to be elaboration especially when it's basically throwing his employer under the bus.

Of course I do. You read what KC got fined for tampering with Maclin. Do you think all the other teams and agents are talking? Don't you think KC would be raising holy hell? Jets got fined just for the owner saying he'd like to have Revis come back. $100,000 for nothing more than that.

Most people in the civilized world play by the rules most of the time. The overwhelming majority, the overwhelming amount of the time. That's true if there are penalties and they are enforced.

Are there cases here and there where someone says something to someone and someone says something back? Probably. But not many.

If you're a GM and you know that the Chiefs got fined in six figures AND lost two draft picks for talking to Maclin, are you really going to talk to Taylor?. In that case Maclin was going to become a free agent, but they talked before the so-called tampering period began. In this case, Taylor had NO RIGHT to be a free agent, so it would have been tampering with a player under contract. Moreover, I believe every GM was pretty sure the Bills would keep Taylor, because they know as well as most people that you don't cut a decent starting QB when you have NO ONE even remotely able to play as well as Taylor. So why would your risk draft picks and fines to talk to a player who most likely was NOT going to become a free agent anyway?

It makes no sense that any GM would be talking to Taylor's agent under those circumstances. Remember, the Maclin case was finally decided only a year ago. Two draft picks for talking to someone early. The penalty for talking to someone who isn't even scheduled to become a free agent has to be worse.

yep, a team getting caught tampering illegally is proof that noone does it.

where is the freaking logic?

Shaw is giving us his perspective from a legal standpoint and the point is the penalties should be severe enough to eliminate the problem.

Why would you expect anything different?

I respect Shaws opinion on this...

legal standpoint or not, the logic is kind of bizarre. you list a case of a team getting caught tampering illegally and that is justification that noone else is doing it? is this bizarro world?

there are all kinds of ways to maneuver around the illegalities. these are what is known as loopholes. they have been around since the dawn of time and they will continue to be exploited until the end of time.

legal standpoint or not, the logic is kind of bizarre. you list a case of a team getting caught tampering illegally and that is justification that noone else is doing it? is this bizarro world?

there are all kinds of ways to maneuver around the illegalities. these are what is known as loopholes. they have been around since the dawn of time and they will continue to be exploited until the end of time.

I'm not saying you can't find ways around something ,

but If their going to cut off your head when you get caught would you still do it?

I'm just saying...

but If their going to cut off your head when you get caught would you still do it?

I'm just saying...

People don't learn from their mistakes or simply don't think they'll get caught. Saying no one does it anymore because another team got caught is historically stupid.

Who stated noone does it?

I read shaw state thst noone is doing it for a Tyrod. With a very good set of circumstances making it very plausible that noone did illegally tamper with him. Drop the pitch fork and think about it for a minute.

The rights for Taylor belonged to the Bills and noone else.

If another team stated they were going to pay something for him and his agent attempted to use that as leverage, do you really think the Bills would pit up with that?

People don't learn from their mistakes or simply don't think they'll get caught. Saying no one does it anymore because another team got caught is historically stupid.

no need really.

we set records for that every week it seems. so how about we refrain from that word and insult Bangarang

I'm just saying...

I think college football is a perfect example of they are willing to risk it. Getting caught violating NCAA rules really hurts a program in a lot of cases yet 43% of FBS schools committed major violations in the last 10 years. These schools lose scholarships, bowl game eligibility etc....multiple schools guilty more than once. Why are they still committing major violations when they have seen multiple schools go on probation? In fact, only 17 of the 100+ FBS schools have never been caught.

Here's a report the NFL violating drug laws for years

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/03/10/nfl-teams-violated-prescription-drug-laws/99029142/

Here's more violations....tampering included.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/04/if-the-patriots-cheated-theyre-hardly-alone/

Here's Matt Bowen, an ex-Bill talking about cheating in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2356743-how-do-nfl-teams-really-cheat

Edited by Teeflebees

I think college football is a perfect example of they are willing to risk it. Getting caught violating NCAA rules really hurts a program in a lot of cases yet 43% of FBS schools committed major violations in the last 10 years. These schools lose scholarships, bowl game eligibility etc....multiple schools guilty more than once. Why are they still committing major violations when they have seen multiple schools go on probation? In fact, only 17 of the 100+ FBS schools have never been caught.

Here's a report the NFL violating drug laws for years

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/03/10/nfl-teams-violated-prescription-drug-laws/99029142/

Here's more violations....tampering included.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/04/if-the-patriots-cheated-theyre-hardly-alone/

Here's Matt Bowen, an ex-Bill talking about cheating in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2356743-how-do-nfl-teams-really-cheat

Point well taken :thumbsup: