Tyrod Taylor's Highlights

cover1

Teams do this all the time. It's called due dilligence.

Ya'll thinking that TT and his agent had no clue what his value on the open market would be are insane.

He definitely had a clue, and it wasn't nearly as bad or good as some here are making it out to be. He likes Buffalo, the fans, and his teammates a lot though.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He definitely had a clue, and it wasn't nearly as bad or good as some here are making it out to be. He likes Buffalo, the fans, and his teammates a lot though.

I don't think think TT was getting McCown type contracts, I just think he would get close to what Buffalo gave him. I'm sure teammates and stuff played a factor, just not a $10M factor.

You're talking out both sides of your mouth. If teams are willing to break tampering rules, risking fines and draft picks, just to NEGOTIATE with Taylor... he must be one of the most highly sought QBs in the league. Or do you really think teams cheat on tampering with every single player who's already on contract? Come on. You're filling in the blanks as you want to but the truth is no one knows anything. It makes no sense that teams would break tampering rules to offer LESS MONEY than he was already getting. How does that make any sense?

Thank you Shaw for coming to this forum. I was a little on the fence about this discussion but now I am firmly decided that he can't have been secretly talking to teams, it makes no sense.

Agents talk to teams constantly. You're being naive if you don't think Tyrod's agent didn't get a good sense of his market value before restructuring the contract. Is that not something Tyrod would want to know?

Agents talk to teams constantly. You're being naive if you don't think Tyrod's agent didn't get a good sense of his market value before restructuring the contract. Is that not something Tyrod would want to know?

There's no use. You're arguing with people living in a dream world.

Again... not a fact.

And those 3 other teams being dumpster fires could have also played a role.

So then, why do we see guys going to bad teams for a bigger paycheck?

Or is that my opinion as well?

Please transplant, show me proof that Taylor would have been kept in Buffalo had he not renegotiated his extension into yet again another bridge deal.

In favor of Tyrod = report

Not in favor of Tyrod = speculation

:thumbsup:

Teams do this all the time. It's called due dilligence.

Ya'll thinking that TT and his agent had no clue what his value on the open market would be are insane.

Of course he had a clue. But there's a narrative you've built that has his agent slyly talking with other agents, getting exact hypothetical contract details, and then going back to Tyrod to let him know the Bills are as good as it gets. That narrative is nonsense. Teams are not constantly negotiating with players under contract with other teams, I refuse to believe that is happening. The NFL does punish it. My guess is Tyrod believed he wasn't going to get any more than the Bills we're offering and decided to bet on himself another year. Again - if Tyrod plays well this year HE wins the restructure, not the Bills. If he had played well under the old contract they would have had him on the cheap.

There were "4" teams willing to pay TT, as per transplant. It wasn't just Cleveland.

If TT snaps his leg by some fat DT and has lingering damage, he comes out the loser of this restructure and probably his career. Which is why players who haven't already made their money generally don't leave $10M on the table.

Cleveland, JETS, SF and some "claim" Denver (which I posted a link refuting the claim)

High risk/high reward vs. low risk/low reward.

Do you think it is possible that TT would risk $10mil to be a starter?

And, do you think it is possible that TT saw Buffalo as his best chance at being a starter?

Again, see those listed above.

You're being naive if you think teams will risk draft picks on talking to the agent of a player still under contract, when that player isn't even in their plans. Why would an agent even casually have a conversation with another agent? It's not just the team but the agent himself that can be punished, right? Yeah there are some skeevy ones out there but they're gonna choose their battles. I don't believe for a second there's some underground network of agents constantly talking to each other about their clients under contract. Not to say you don't put feelers out there, of course you do. But the Bills and Tyrod both were in the same boat, they had guesses about what the market would look like and nothing more.

Of course he had a clue. But there's a narrative you've built that has his agent slyly talking with other agents, getting exact hypothetical contract details, and then going back to Tyrod to let him know the Bills are as good as it gets. That narrative is nonsense. Teams are not constantly negotiating with players under contract with other teams, I refuse to believe that is happening. The NFL does punish it. My guess is Tyrod believed he wasn't going to get any more than the Bills we're offering and decided to bet on himself another year. Again - if Tyrod plays well this year HE wins the restructure, not the Bills. If he had played well under the old contract they would have had him on the cheap.

Here's where you straw man. "Exact hypothetical contract details?" Let's try to be a little less disingenuous, please.

My guess is Tyrod believed he wasn't going to get any more than the Bills we're offering

Lol, I said this exact statement.

You're being naive if you think teams will risk draft picks on talking to the agent of a player still under contract, when that player isn't even in their plans. Why would an agent even casually have a conversation with another agent? It's not just the team but the agent himself that can be punished, right? Yeah there are some skeevy ones out there but they're gonna choose their battles. I don't believe for a second there's some underground network of agents constantly talking to each other about their clients under contract. Not to say you don't put feelers out there, of course you do. But the Bills and Tyrod both were in the same boat, they had guesses about what the market would look like and nothing more.

Oh, right because those teams that lost draft picks didn't risk it. :lol: :lol:

You and transplant are apparently in your own little worlds

With so much tampering, NFL will struggle to police it all

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT

AP

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell acknowledged the obvious on Wednesday when he said at the league meeting that multiple teams had dealings before the start of free agency that may have violated the letter of the law.

We want to make sure no teams are gaining an advantage as it relates to free agency and the opportunity to get free agents, Goodell said. There are several teams and several issues that were looking at.

The most-discussed case has been the Jets signing of Darrelle Revis after owner Woody Johnson publicly talked about Revis while he was still under contract to the Patriots. But some of the biggest deals signed in free agency including Ndamukong Suh to Miami and Julius Thomas to Jacksonville were widely believed to be done deals even before it was legal for NFL teams to get deals done with free agents from other teams.

And that points to why its going to be so difficult for the NFL to police tampering: It has become widely acknowledged around the league that its commonplace, and although everyone else is doing it too might not be an air-tight legal defense, it does raise the question of whether its really fair for the NFL to punish some teams for doing things that other teams were surely doing as well.

Maybe Goodell will decide to send a message, make an example of one team, and impose harsh discipline for tampering. Or maybe Goodell will decide that in the grand scheme of things, tampering really isnt that big a problem, and the league would be better off letting it go.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/26/with-so-much-tampering-nfl-will-struggle-to-police-it-all/

Key word "free agents." Everyone knows free agents are negotiating before the terms of their contracts are up, teams have a vested interest in looking the other way. It's a different situation when they're under contract.

Here's where you straw man. "Exact hypothetical contract details?" Let's try to be a little less disingenuous, please.

My guess is Tyrod believed he wasn't going to get any more than the Bills we're offering

Lol, I said this exact statement.

Oh, right because those teams that lost draft picks didn't risk it. :lol: :lol:

I don't think both sides disagree too much, all I'm saying is no one knows. And that Tyrod could win this restructure, and it's certainly a reasonable belief that both sides thought they were getting a good deal with the restructure. It's a pointless conversation anyways. Let's say you're right. Is it illuminating to me that the Bears and Browns weren't willing to pay Tyrod more than he paid the Bills? Not at all. Teams make dumb mistakes all the time so it's not like other teams' opinions of Tyrod has any material impact on his level of play. I for one thought the Bears would be going after Tyrod, but Glennon changed that which IMO is a big mistake. So we'll see.

Key word "free agents." Everyone knows free agents are negotiating before the terms of their contracts are up, teams have a vested interest in looking the other way. It's a different situation when they're under contract.

Revis, in the article as an example was still playing with the Pats....very much under contact.

Revis, in the article as an example was still playing with the Pats....very much under contact.

True but the team was fined... And that was just for the owner making a comment, it wasn't actual tampering like we're talking about. All he said was "I would love for Revis to come back." There was no evidence of agent tampering. If it had been discovered that Revis's agent had been talking to the Jets there would have been a much bigger problem. And sure teams might even be willing to tamper for someone like Revis, but Tyrod? Not even I think teams see him as some savior for their franchise.

This is all complete speculation, and I think a lot it stems from the late season reports that Tyrod was not in our future plans. Well a lot of these late season reports were contradictory and a bunch turned out to be bogus. The truth is we don't know what the Bills plans were and we don't know what kind of discussions they had with Tyrod. We also don't know if his agent was tampering, although I think there is good evidence to believe he wasn't.

And it is still true, I'm saying this for a 3rd time, that Tyrod wins the restructure if he improves this year. I haven't seen anything to suggest I'm wrong on that. That doesn't strike me as a scenario where the Bills had Tyrod cornered, it sounds like a negotiation in good faith where both sides thought a redo on the one-year tryout made sense.

True but the team was fined... And that was just for the owner making a comment, it wasn't actual tampering like we're talking about. All he said was "I would love for Revis to come back." There was no evidence of agent tampering. If it had been discovered that Revis's agent had been talking to the Jets there would have been a much bigger problem. And sure teams might even be willing to tamper for someone like Revis, but Tyrod? Not even I think teams see him as some savior for their franchise.

This is all complete speculation, and I think a lot it stems from the late season reports that Tyrod was not in our future plans. Well a lot of these late season reports were contradictory and a bunch turned out to be bogus. The truth is we don't know what the Bills plans were and we don't know what kind of discussions they had with Tyrod. We also don't know if his agent was tampering, although I think there is good evidence to believe he wasn't.

And it is still true, I'm saying this for a 3rd time, that Tyrod wins the restructure if he improves this year. I haven't seen anything to suggest I'm wrong on that. That doesn't strike me as a scenario where the Bills had Tyrod cornered, it sounds like a negotiation in good faith where both sides thought a redo on the one-year tryout made sense.

If TT plays to 2015 form, you think he gets more than 5 years, $100M?

Edited by FireChan

I think tampering happens all the time with free agents and non-free agents. I don't think that there's an under ground system in place, I just think in any large business....ethics are easily bypassed. Especially in a competitive industry like the NFL.

Everyone knows the penalties if caught but yet they still do them in major sports. It's something that agents and others in the industry will figure out creatively how to bypass.

If TT plays to 2015 form, you think he gets more than 5 years, $100M?

On the old contract he would have made no more than about $14 million annually through 2021. I fully expect him to make much more than that if he returns to 2015 levels, yes. He gave up guaranteed money but also opened up the possibility of a better future contract. It's a very simple trade off in my view.

Right now: Tyrod is right around the 20th best qb in the league imo. He is exciting while running with the ball but needs to improve as a passer. He does a great job taking care of the football but takes too many sacks when he could just throw the ball out and save a few yards. He throws a good deep ball but bails from pockets sometimes and misfires on some throws he should make. Their is good and bad with him as a player but the offense ran very well under him. The last 2 years the team has had an offense that scored a bunch of points was the best we've seen in many years.

Going forward: I'm excited to see what he can be. I care more about the 29 starts than the previous years sitting on the bench in regards to his development. If the Bills drafted a qb that went for 47 tds and 12 ints after 2 years in the league we would all be ecstatic. The last time we saw him on the field he put on a show. Whatever you have to say about the Dolphins he showed he can do that to an NFL defense. He also put on a show on mnf. In a place vaunted as one of the toughest to play in, on primetime, against a great defense he again played excellent. That shows me he can do it. The question becomes can he do it consistently. I'd like to find out the answer to that question while he is in a Bills uniform.

It's not talking out of both sides of my mouth you just think he has peaked and I don't. All of the back and forth in all of these threads boils down to that one difference.

I could run a poll and tell you fire chan, Ryan l, you, jeffismagic, old-school, etc... all think that he is done developing and is what he is and won't improve in your opinions. jfh, bobonators, transplant, myself, "the cot" if you will, don't think he is at his ceiling. You guys have all made it clear you think he is at his ceiling and have made up your mind. We haven't made up ours yet.

I accidentally put this in the Rodgers thread but since this thread won't die I figured I'd move it here. It was posted in response to xcrushx saying TT fans talked out of both sides of their mouth...

70 pages really just boils down to this....

I think tampering happens all the time with free agents and non-free agents. I don't think that there's an under ground system in place, I just think in any large business....ethics are easily bypassed. Especially in a competitive industry like the NFL.

Everyone knows the penalties if caught but yet they still do them in major sports. It's something that agents and others in the industry will figure out creatively how to bypass.

l've listened to both sides of this argument with interest and I'm inclined to agree with Tee/FC

Teams by and large take advantage of anything they can get away with IMO,

and I'll use the Patriots as an example.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

That's what he's talking about, and while you can't prove absolutely and without a doubt anything much about why people do things ... that's why he's here.

Because he took a major pay cut. He might have gotten more elsewhere but he was convinced the Bills weren't going to keep him without the pay cut. And he was right.

As critical historically as you are of people who spew opinion as fact, I'm surprised you've been doing it so much lately.

Again, your educated guess is roughtly as good as my or Shaw's educated guess...

feel free to keep trying to convince yourself that stating opinions as fact will somehow validate your argument, though :thumbsup:

They didn't negotiate Osweiler's contract. They are paying him because they got a second rounder.

Details though.

Yes... I'm sure that 2nd rounder was worth what they're paying Brock Osweiler...

Are you guys serious with this? Sure, it played a role, but not even remotely close to whatever kind of role you're insinuating...