Tyrod Taylor's Highlights

cover1

Who knows? Nobody does. Right

Name an instance when a 8? year professional athlete whom is yet to make any serious money at his craft left MILLIONS on the table so he could remain with a perennial loser..all while being in the prime of his career.

Informed speculation is always more worthy of a discussion than just throwing out misleading comparisons.

Shaw made a great point a couple pages back and no one bothered to respond back. Tyrod took less money to come to Buffalo in the first place. It is entirely reasonable to believe he did the same thing again, to bet on himself to show the league that he deserves more. It is still true that Tyrod wins the restructure if he improves this year.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Thurm -

Thanks.

I think you have to look at what's guaranteed and then what's likely. Guaranteed was $40, and what's likely now is $30. Why is it likely? Because there's no upside to the Bills cutting him after 2017, because the cap hit is almost as bad as keeping him. So unless he becomes a public relations problem, the Bills will always keep him for 2018. Even if they've found another starter, he's a better backup than they could find anywhere else.

So I'm pretty sure Taylor looked at it as giving up $10 million.

However, if you review what's been said and and the contract history, I think the conclusion that these negotiations are a lot less about the money and a lot more about the option to terminate the contract. That is, it's always been about Taylor's freedom to make a new deal and who has the option to set him free.

He left Baltimore and wanted to go someplace where he could start. He didn't seem to spend any time or energy on getting a lot of money; he wanted to go somewhere where he had a good chance to start and where he would have a short contract. He signed a three year deal with Buffalo, but a major part of the deal for Tyrod was that he could opt out after two years.

So what happened? He played well his first year and the Bills were unhappy about the fact that Taylor could leave after year two. That meant that if Taylor had a good year two, the Bills would have to give him something like five years at $20 million per to keep him, and the Bills knew that they weren't going to be willing to commit that much to him after year two. They wanted to see him for at least three years.

So they go to Taylor and suggest renegotiating, so the Bills could have a full three years and then cut him without penalty if they wanted to. Taylor said no, because the option at the end of year two was what he wanted. He wasn't going to give up the option for nothing. He asked for a long-term deal with big money. Bills said no to the money, yes to the long-term IF the option to end it all without penalty at the end of year two came back to the Bills. Taylor said ok, he'll give up the option to get out because he has guaranteed money.

Year two happens and Taylor underperforms, in comparison to year one and also in terms of what's good enough to win in the NFL. Now the Bills are on the hotseat. They have the option to end the deal and avoid the guarantees, but they aren't sure about Taylor. If Taylor is the year-one QB, the contract is a bargain. If he's the year-two QB, they're overpaying and they may want to move on.

Meanwhile, Taylor doesn't have the same doubts. He's started for two years, he knows he can play in the league. His seasons are nothing like the seasons Manuel and most young QBs have in the league. He's seen guys bounce around the league. He knows for the next seven years he can get FItzpatrick-McCown money all day long. He's better than they are, and someone will always pay him to play or to be a quality backup on a contending team. That's his cushion. He knows that he's always going to be able to make the money he's guaranteed under his current contract. What he wants is to get the option back. He wants the leverage to be able to say in a year or two that he wants more money, more than he'd get locked up with the Bills through 2021 or whenever.

So I think Taylor looked at it and said, "I'm guaranteed $40. Under the two-year deal we're talking about, I'm almost certainly going to get $30. I'm almost certainly going to get the additional $10 in the next one or two years after that. So the guarantee of $40 doesn't mean a lot; I'm going to get the $40 either way. But under the new deal, my upside in 2019, 2020 and 2021 is much higher. The salary cap is going up. If I play well, I can get over $20 a year, maybe even $25 a year." I think Taylor listened to that, has confidence in his abilities and his future, and said "this is easy - I'll get the $40 either way, and the new deal gives me options."

Bills, likewise, liked the deal because THEY got the option to terminate without major pain after 2018. What the Bills gave up is the opportunity to have Taylor on the cheap if he turns out to be good.

I think what very well could happen is that in 2017 Taylor has a good year - say a passer rating around 94, which is his average. That would be at or around top 10. Bills win 9-10 games. And next February or March, Taylor and the Bills are renegotiating AGAIN. Why? Because at that point the Bills don't want to go into 2018 with Taylor playing on a one-year deal. If he has another good season, his price tag will go WAY up - as I said, in the low- to mid-20s. So they'll be talking about a new deal, 4-5-6 years, just like the last one, worth more than the deal the Bills just got away from, and with more than half of it guaranteed.

If Taylor has another mediocre season, Bills go looking for a new QB, keep Taylor for 2018 and then negotiate or let him walk.

What happened is that Taylor gave up some money to get out from under a long term deal. The Bills gave up the bargain price for a starting QB in order to get out from under the long-term future. They're both betting on what Taylor does in the next two seasons.

If Taylor didn't want to make that bet, he would have refused to renegotiate and called the Bills' bluff.

Let me bump this again if its ok with everyone.

Shaw made a great point a couple pages back and no one bothered to respond back. Tyrod took less money to come to Buffalo in the first place. It is entirely reasonable to believe he did the same thing again, to bet on himself to show the league that he deserves more. It is still true that Tyrod wins the restructure if he improves this year.

I truly believe this as well, because he understands the importance of winning. With winning, he will obtain greater value in future endeavors than accepting a contract that limits the teams ability to win and succeed. Nobody will be working harder towards that goal this year then Tyrod Taylor, first one in and last one out.

Tyrod probably thinks he is a much, much better NFL QB than you obviously think he is.

So, if he compares himself to the other free agents and qb's coming out in the draft, I would bet HE THINKS Buffalo is his best opportunity to start and win.

In that scenario it totally makes sense he would make "doing whatever he has to do to stay in Buffalo for this year" his top priority. And that meant taking a big pay cut. Makes total sense to me.

Dude, professional athletes don't turn away $10 million per year just because. Come back to reality.

Didn't Brady play for a lesser contract in order to gain better pieces around him and give him a better chance to win? Seems like a crazy idea, huh?

It is widely believed that Brady is getting his money because Kraft is funneling money through his "business".

Under the table money doesn't count towards the salary cap.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-patriots-pay-a-brady-owned-company-run-by-suspect-partner/

Would it really shock you if the Pats are cheating the system?

It is widely believed that Brady is getting his money because Kraft is funneling money through his "business".

Under the table money doesn't count towards the salary cap.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-patriots-pay-a-brady-owned-company-run-by-suspect-partner/

Would it really shock you if the Pats are cheating the system?

I think Kraft and Brady have a handshake deal that will pay Brady millions for being a team ambassador after he retires.

Totally different scenario now for him. Apples and oranges.

Dude, professional athletes don't turn away $10 million per year just because. Come back to reality.

David West has done it for two years in a row in the NBA. He's a professional athlete. $10 million this season, $10 million last season.

From Tyrod's perspective, it's possible that staying on the old contract was giving up FUTURE money. He would have been making like $14 million in 2020 when he could potentially be making $25 million - and if you think that's nuts look at how many QB contracts will be up in that time and keep in mind the salary cap goes up every year. If Tyrod thinks he is a top 15 QB - and we have every indication to believe he does think that - the new contract is better for him. That's what you're ignoring. It's the same reason he gave up more money from Denver to come here.

When you start pointing at Brady's sacrifices to justify why Taylor did what he did then you are trolling. The only thing worth mentioning is that they played the same positions.

Nothing else is close, including the contractual details. Brady has been paid well for years, Taylor is a bench dweller in the prime of his career who just lost millions in order to keep a door open for himself. Hopefully he can earn those millions back otherwise he is nothing more than a place holder and soon to be the next in a long line of Bills QB fails.

Nah, that's not trolling. It's just reaching. Really, really far reaching.

But, if Taylor is a "bench dweller," then so are at least a third of the starting QBs in this league.

Tyrod took less money because we were his best chance at becoming a starting QB. If that same reason is why he re-structures then what does that tell us?

Edited by Bangarang

From Tyrod's perspective, it's possible that staying on the old contract was giving up FUTURE money. He would have been making like $14 million in 2020 when he could potentially be making $25 million - and if you think that's nuts look at how many QB contracts will be up in that time and keep in mind the salary cap goes up every year. If Tyrod thinks he is a top 15 QB - and we have every indication to believe he does think that - the new contract is better for him. That's what you're ignoring. It's the same reason he gave up more money from Denver to come here.

Then why did he sign the extension in the first place?

The gymnastics are making my head spin.

Edited by FireChan

Then why did he sign the extension in the first place?

The gymnastics are making my head spin.

Try to keep up.

Why did he sign the six-year deal? Because his contract at the time was worth $1 million or something like that for 2016, but under the contract he signed he got $6 million. So he got a guaranteed increase in compensation of $5 million for 2016. And he got a guaranteed $40 million after that. He gave up his freedom, but he got, in total $45 million guaranteed.

A year later, he had the $6 million and he had about $40 million guaranteed coming. By renegotiating, he gave up $10 million guaranteed but he got his freedom back so that, as Happy says, he can cash in on his contract beginning in 2019.

Through 2015, Taylor had been playing football for NFL chump change. Then in 2016 he made $6 million. Call it $3 million after tax. If he's smart, and I think he is, he banked $2 million. He was looking at an offer of $30 million for two years, essentially guaranteed. After tax, $15 million, he'll bank $10 million. So at age 30 he'll have $12 million in the bank, which will pay him $400.000 for life. So he's all set. Now he gets to play for two years with a chance to cash in on a big contract, over $100 million. He's positioned himself well.

I'm telling you: If he has a 94 passer rating in 2017, the Bills will be negotiating with him in a year, and they'll be in the $100 million range. Taylor is likely to be the winner. He didn't take a pay cut.

Try to keep up.

Why did he sign the six-year deal? Because his contract at the time was worth $1 million or something like that for 2016, but under the contract he signed he got $6 million. So he got a guaranteed increase in compensation of $5 million for 2016. And he got a guaranteed $40 million after that. He gave up his freedom, but he got, in total $45 million guaranteed.

A year later, he had the $6 million and he had about $40 million guaranteed coming. By renegotiating, he gave up $10 million guaranteed but he got his freedom back so that, as Happy says, he can cash in on his contract beginning in 2019.

Through 2015, Taylor had been playing football for NFL chump change. Then in 2016 he made $6 million. Call it $3 million after tax. If he's smart, and I think he is, he banked $2 million. He was looking at an offer of $30 million for two years, essentially guaranteed. After tax, $15 million, he'll bank $10 million. So at age 30 he'll have $12 million in the bank, which will pay him $400.000 for life. So he's all set. Now he gets to play for two years with a chance to cash in on a big contract, over $100 million. He's positioned himself well.

I'm telling you: If he has a 94 passer rating in 2017, the Bills will be negotiating with him in a year, and they'll be in the $100 million range. Taylor is likely to be the winner. He didn't take a pay cut.

That's where he already was.

So TT bet on himself, then gave up and took the money, played worse, and then bet on himself again and gave up $10M?

Edited by FireChan