Jealous people

Ice bowl 67

Had a similar reaction at a previous place I worked; I used to keep picture postcards (the type where you are in the picture) at work and each one had a date on it. I was asked by one coworker if I was independently wealthy and I told him no. He did not believe me and said it was impossible to manage rent, car payments, college loan payments and vacations too. I told I pay no rent and my house is actually paid off, have no car payments and paid off all student loans within 5 years of graduating. He came to me one day with his spreadsheet with all of his bills, etc. He was paying more for rent than my mortgage payment was when I had one, was paying almost $500 a month for his car payments AND was paying for monthly parking, and was paying minimum payment on high interest credit cards maxed. His spending was out of control.

Saving first and spending later is become "old fashioned".

And Exiled very much understand shift work sacrifices - I work a 12 on Saturday, 2 9's or 10's on Monday and Tuesday with remaining hours split as needed on Wednesday and Thursday. Very hard to keep any schedule but it is what you do to ensure you are getting a paycheck coming in.

Edited by Koolaid

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These people you speak of, do you like them anyway? I mean feeling heard is always nice but I wouldn't think too much of it especially if it's not peeps of your ilk.

What are you, special with the italics? We can't all do italics around here, man! Keep em to your hoity toity italic self.

Now... I can see some resentment if the company is not treating all fairly. Like having multiple tiers for enployees that are basically doing the same job.

Do they earn the same bennys as you IceBowl? And don't factor in just time in, that's important of course!

Did the company "move the goal posts" for certain workers?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Unfortunately there have always been, and will always be, people who are raised to believe the world is unfair in that all people don't get all things equally. Most of these people rely on others in positions of power and authority to make things fair for them because they are simply stumped as to how to do it themselves.

These are the jealous. These are the discontent.

There are two things I can tell you for certain: (1) if you both keep doing what you're doing, they will be in your rear view mirror soon enough and (2) use what you see to remind yourself that being jealous and discontent is ugly and irrational, so as you move forward and are surrounded by people who have more than you, that you -- yourself -- do not exhibit jealousy or discontentment, but rather appreciation, while also seeking guidance from those you would otherwise be jealous of.

It's the difference between "How could you possibly go on that vacation on your own dime?" versus "Can you show me how you did that?"

Exactly.

Caution: Old Guy rant ahead...

I have been going @ it for almost 30 years (on swing shift too) and have another good 20 left. We all pissed and moaned when we were young and they abused us for our labor... Every generation complains about the previous/next... But pay Your dues! We have the younger 30/20 year old crowd that doesn't want to... Or they seem not to want to. They want it all now and burn their leave as fast as they get it. Then they wonder why they have no leave in "the bank"... No "insurance policy" when they get old. Everybody gets old. I keep the max 240 hours vacation leave on books carry-over every year and have almost 2,000 hours sick leave. 2,080 is one full year. I only burn my what I earn now, 208 hours is "use or lose." It took 15 years to get to max leave earned and it took many years of not using leave.

The Youngins burn it as fast as they get it... Then complain. Some know that they can ask for sick leave donations too! WTF!

I understand everybody has bad luck... Legit cases for leave donations, which I routinely give my odd vacation hours at end of year away (can only donate annual/vacation leave, NOT sick leave).

Some don't understand that it takes a lifetime of not so pleasant choices... For 3 owdecades I have been working shift work, missing holidays, Christmas mornings, family events with closest friends and family over 500 miles away.

Everybody makes choices... Simply don't begrudge and live your own life as best as you can.

we have a 2 tier pay system I am a D rate and the new hires T rates (2010) and up get $10 less per hour. $20-38 an hour is still not bad.

First year I started I got no vacation. 2nd year 1 week 3rd year 2 weeks Now have 6 weeks and 1 week personal time.

New hires get 2 weeks to start. Times have changed.

Edited by mead107

we have a 2 tier pay system I am a D rate and the new hires T rates (2010) and up get $10 less per hour. $20-38 an hour is still not bad.

First year I started I got no vacation. 2nd year 1 week 3rd year 2 weeks Now have 6 weeks and 1 week personal time.

New hires get 2 weeks to start. Times have changed.

Does it create animosity if people are doing same jobs?

Yes. They all knew what they were getting into when hired. We now have about 750 t rates and only about 500 d rates. still do not understand why they don't work overtime and have the nuts to sY to management, if you gave us the same money as the D rates, we would do more work. Bull crap.

Edited by mead107

Unfortunately there have always been, and will always be, people who are raised to believe the world is unfair in that all people don't get all things equally. Most of these people rely on others in positions of power and authority to make things fair for them because they are simply stumped as to how to do it themselves.

These are the jealous. These are the discontent.

There are two things I can tell you for certain: (1) if you both keep doing what you're doing, they will be in your rear view mirror soon enough and (2) use what you see to remind yourself that being jealous and discontent is ugly and irrational, so as you move forward and are surrounded by people who have more than you, that you -- yourself -- do not exhibit jealousy or discontentment, but rather appreciation, while also seeking guidance from those you would otherwise be jealous of.

It's the difference between "How could you possibly go on that vacation on your own dime?" versus "Can you show me how you did that?"

This is like gospel. This is the logical attitude. It is a hard truth because it isn't the easy way. In your first part of your post you say they are "stumped" . And that is true for some but I think most are just to lazy.

People are like Sneetches:

"The Plain-Belly Sneetches had none upon thars. Those stars weren't so big. They were really so small you might think such a thing wouldn't matter at all. But, because they had stars, all the Star-Belly Sneetches would brag, "We're the best kind of Sneetch on the Beaches."

sneetch.jpg

I have to vent. I really shouldn't let this stuff bother me but does anyone else get people that are jealous of you after you go on vacation somewhere? I just went to Arizona on vacation and my first day back at work I had a few coworkers that didn't ask about my vacation or would give me the cold shoulder. One in particular said where do you get all the money to go there. She asked me did your parents pay for it and I responded I haven't had someone pay my way since 2009 going on vacation. I know she is in debt and has to work 2 jobs because of it so I responded I cant help it that your in debt lol and walked away. She tells me you must live at home then and I was like nope its called saving your money from working! I just hate Jealous people that try to diminish your accomplishments. This is the exact reason I got off of Facebook is it seems like people are in competiton with each other trying to brag about their accomplishments. I went to the gym yesterday too and people are real quiet toward you after you go on vacation. This behavior makes me want to get back on a plane and go back on vacation and I wouldn't miss any of these people one bit. You guys have any Jealous coworkers or friends?

I think you might be looking at it the wrong way, ice. Its probably just your horrible personality, and has nothing to do with Arizona.

Youve changed since you got back from the dessert, man.

I've got to agree with Quint. Since you've gotten back its been all "In Arizona, the sidewalks are cleaner" and "you've never had real Mexican food until you've been to Chilis in Tucson". Its insufferable. Traveling is fine, but coming back and telling us all how you found yourself in Flagstaff gets old. Its not like you spent a month living among the indigenous peoples of the Amazon. You went to f@#$ing Arizona. And aren't you from New Mexico originally? And who the hell goes to Arizona for a vacation? The Grand Canyon???? How original. Honestly, most of wish you had stayed.

What are you, special with the italics? We can't all do italics around here, man! Keep em to your hoity toity italic self.

Seriously. Take that italicized crap back to Arizona.

When someone is unhappy in the work place for whatever reason it can make others unhappy around them in what would normally be an upbeat place of work.

Myself personally, where a coworker goes for vacation is not something most people would get jealous about.

Walking around in a bad mood all day everyday would get old quick for everyone around you in my humble opinion OP.

I have to vent. I really shouldn't let this stuff bother me but does anyone else get people that are jealous of you after you go on vacation somewhere? I just went to Arizona on vacation and my first day back at work I had a few coworkers that didn't ask about my vacation or would give me the cold shoulder. One in particular said where do you get all the money to go there. She asked me did your parents pay for it and I responded I haven't had someone pay my way since 2009 going on vacation. I know she is in debt and has to work 2 jobs because of it so I responded I cant help it that your in debt lol and walked away. She tells me you must live at home then and I was like nope its called saving your money from working! I just hate Jealous people that try to diminish your accomplishments. This is the exact reason I got off of Facebook is it seems like people are in competiton with each other trying to brag about their accomplishments. I went to the gym yesterday too and people are real quiet toward you after you go on vacation. This behavior makes me want to get back on a plane and go back on vacation and I wouldn't miss any of these people one bit. You guys have any Jealous coworkers or friends?

From the snide debt & saving your money comment you sound like a real prick. So you went away for a week to Arizona. Big deal, get over yourself, people that have been freezing their asses up north the last month don't want to hear about it. Hell I don't even know you & I don't want to hear about it, I could just imagine how your coworkers feel.

Edited by Gordio

When I first started at my company 8 years ago, my mother worked at teh buffalo office and she told me to put in for the job and she would put in a good word and I got the job (Based on my own merits and how well i scored on the test they gave) I have since move to the Atlanta office.

Fast forward 8 years and now I am in a position that travels the country. I always get a must pay to know someone that has worked here for 20 years. and must be nice to get the company to pay for all of your travel. What they don't see is the constant work that goes into these places I go to and how little time i actually get to spend exploring the area.

It normally does not bother me, but on occasional it will get to me. yes I am younger, 29, and i get lumped in to this new generation that wants everything handed to me (Thats what pisses me off the most). I take pride in how I got here, busting my butt, teaching myself computer languages, giving up countless nights and weekends to go to classes to gain valuable knowledge.

When I first started at my company 8 years ago, my mother worked at teh buffalo office and she told me to put in for the job and she would put in a good word and I got the job (Based on my own merits and how well i scored on the test they gave) I have since move to the Atlanta office.

Fast forward 8 years and now I am in a position that travels the country. I always get a must pay to know someone that has worked here for 20 years. and must be nice to get the company to pay for all of your travel. What they don't see is the constant work that goes into these places I go to and how little time i actually get to spend exploring the area.

It normally does not bother me, but on occasional it will get to me. yes I am younger, 29, and i get lumped in to this new generation that wants everything handed to me (Thats what pisses me off the most). I take pride in how I got here, busting my butt, teaching myself computer languages, giving up countless nights and weekends to go to classes to gain valuable knowledge.

Sounds like you'd fit in just great in Arizona.