Report: Seahawks Open to Trading Richard Sherman

It doesn't say the Bills would do that. It talks about why Seattle would be open to a trade

Oh, I get that part: He's past his prime and they think they can replace him with a cheaper, younger option. (They are probably sick of his act, too, although they won't say it publicly.) I just don't know why a team like the Bills would give up a prime pick for him at this point in his career.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I get that part: He's past his prime and they think they can replace him with a cheaper, younger option. (They are probably sick of his act, too, although they won't say it publicly.) I just don't know why a team like the Bills would give up a prime pick for him at this point in his career.

That was what I talked about earlier in the thread. (Why they would)

Anyone who wants to trade a high draft choice for Sherman needs to be able answer these questions:

Why would Seattle, a very smart team that knows Sherman best, be willing to let him go and potentially replace him with a rookie from this year's draft? Do you think you know more than Schneider? What makes Sherman more valuable to the Bills than to the Seahawks?

I just don't see it. This guy is 29 years old and is unquestionably past his prime, even if he's still very good. Oh, and he's a jackass.

The Seahawks are willing to trade him for the same reason that the Patriots traded Richard Seymour or Chandler Jones. They ARE about to run into MAJOR cap issues over the next couple of years. Some of these guys won't be back. You try to get back assets to replace them instead of letting them walk (a la Gilmore) with nothing to show. Teams make moves like this when the return will be greater than any compensatory pick that they could possibly receive. This is a problem that only really good (and deep) teams have. Most teams can allocate their cap dollars to their 5-10 best players. When you have 12-15 guys in that mix though it changes things.

Ok, we'll just agree to agree then....😆

nah we disagree, I was trying to not have to copy and paste my post from an hour ago in this thread so I was referring you to that. Here it is

He would be a huge lift to this team, imo moreso than a rookie CB drafted in the 2nd round. CB is one of the toughest positions to transition to the NFL as a rookie. I would still draft one to develop, but looking at the next couple years he would immediately make the defense much better because he knows the cover 3 so well and has played at a high level vs NFL WRs. You do not know what you are going to get from a rookie corner, nor do we know how Darby and Seymour are going to perform in this defense.

Something like this would give the opportunity to perhaps take that kid who tore his Achilles later, because you don't need him right away.

If the team is "rebuilding" they don't bother with this (like the Browns). If the team thinks it is close, then they do. Imo

Edited by YoloinOhio

Anyone who wants to trade a high draft choice for Sherman needs to be able answer these questions:

Why would Seattle, a very smart team that knows Sherman best, be willing to let him go and potentially replace him with a rookie from this year's draft? Do you think you know more than Schneider? What makes Sherman more valuable to the Bills than to the Seahawks?

I just don't see it. This guy is 29 years old and is unquestionably past his prime, even if he's still very good. Oh, and he's a jackass.

Why would Seattle, a very smart team that knows Sherman best, be willing to let him go and potentially replace him with a rookie from this year's draft? Because 10 aging core players command 60% of their cap allotment. And none of them play offensive line. If I recall correctly, Seattle had the lowest paid OL in the NFL last year and paid the price. To stay relevant, and spend appropriately by position, they need to jettison some big contracts.

Do you think you know more than Schneider? Nope. I think he knows a thousand times more than me and the average fan. But situations dictate decisions. Trading Sherman away might make sense for the 'Hawks. If Schneider was GM of the Bills he'd probably be trying to acquire Sherman. Different situation.

What makes Sherman more valuable to the Bills than to the Seahawks? He's not necessarily. It's all about opportunity cost and cost-benefit analysis. It might be a bit easier for the Bills to bear the cost of Sherman's contact than it is for the 'Hawks who would get a much cheaper rookie (draft pick) in return.

Why would Seattle, a very smart team that knows Sherman best, be willing to let him go and potentially replace him with a rookie from this year's draft? Because 10 aging core players command 60% of their cap allotment. And none of them play offensive line. If I recall correctly, Seattle had the lowest paid OL in the NFL last year and paid the price. To stay relevant, and spend appropriately by position, they need to jettison some big contracts.

Do you think you know more than Schneider? Nope. I think he knows a thousand times more than me and the average fan. But situations dictate decisions. Trading Sherman away might make sense for the 'Hawks. If Schneider was GM of the Bills he'd probably be trying to acquire Sherman. Different situation.

What makes Sherman more valuable to the Bills than to the Seahawks? He's not necessarily. It's all about opportunity cost and cost-benefit analysis. It might be a bit easier for the Bills to bear the cost of Sherman's contact than it is for the 'Hawks who would get a much cheaper rookie (draft pick) in return.

All good points, but I'm still suspicious. Why jettison Sherman instead of some of the other big contracts? And why be so public about it? I think the Seahawks view Sherman as being on the downside of his career and I think they are tired of his act. I hope he doesn't end up in Buffalo unless he can be had for a third round pick or less, which seems unlikely.

All good points, but I'm still suspicious. Why jettison Sherman instead of some of the other big contracts? And why be so public about it? I think the Seahawks view Sherman as being on the downside of his career and I think they are tired of his act. I hope he doesn't end up in Buffalo unless he can be had for a third round pick or less, which seems unlikely.

He will bring a big return (for one). They are being so public because they are trying to drive the price up. They don't want to quietly take 1 call. They want multiple teams involved so that they have options.

I was all about trading Gilmore last year and got flamed pretty good for it. This is what good teams do. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't see any difference in trading a player in his last contract year vs a player with 2 more years? There's no comparison to you wanting to trade Gilmore last year and what the Seahawks are exploring - and certainly no reason to say this is what good teams do.

Apparently the Raiders are in on this now too.

of course they are. He went to college nearby.

They are desperate to try to reel their fan base back in. The Lynch thing is like if the Bills convinced Gronk to come out of retirement for a year and play in Buffalo the week after they announced they were moving to Toronto.

They have a pretty good team that they know can be impacted by the upcoming relo if the fans don't show up and they don't have support.a lot of their energy at that dump they play in now comes from their diehard fans. That may or may not be there this year. Bringing in these two would be as much of a PR move imo as it would be to bolster the roster.

Edited by YoloinOhio

of course they are. He went to college nearby.

They are desperate to try to reel their fan base back in. The Lynch thing is like if the Bills convinced Gronk to come out of retirement for a year and play in Buffalo the week after they announced they were moving to Toronto.

They have a pretty good team that they know can be impacted by the upcoming relo if the fans don't show up and they don't have support.a lot of their energy at that dump they play in now comes from their diehard fans. That may or may not be there this year. Bringing in these two would be as much of a PR move imo as it would be to bolster the roster.

I really think the Raider's moving t sin city is gonna be a disaster

Apparently the Raiders are in on this now too.

Yeah he'd be a good fit acquisition for the Raiders.....CB is a need......he's a local college product......and of course Mark Davis been cash-poor relative to the rest of the league so getting a player like that without the up front $ of signing a free agent would be a big plus for them.

The Seahawks are willing to trade him for the same reason that the Patriots traded Richard Seymour or Chandler Jones. They ARE about to run into MAJOR cap issues over the next couple of years. Some of these guys won't be back. You try to get back assets to replace them instead of letting them walk (a la Gilmore) with nothing to show. Teams make moves like this when the return will be greater than any compensatory pick that they could possibly receive. This is a problem that only really good (and deep) teams have. Most teams can allocate their cap dollars to their 5-10 best players. When you have 12-15 guys in that mix though it changes things.

yup, cap issues. they paid some of their guys too much money after the initial superbowls. now they got no cap to keep decent O line. I hear Pats would be interested if Butler is sent to NO.

yup, cap issues. they paid some of their guys too much money after the initial superbowls. now they got no cap to keep decent O line. I hear Pats would be interested if Butler is sent to NO.

That makes me wonder if New Orleans would just be better off sending that 32nd pick to Seattle instead of back to New England. New Orleans and Seattle have struck a big deal recently too (Graham for Unger and a pick).