Are we ramping up to war with North Korea?

When's the last time we deployed three carriers in the same theater without using them?

It happens, and sometimes it's just schedule coincidence.

To answer your question directly, in 2007 three carrier battle groups were in the Pacific and didn't get "used."

The explanation is quite simple. Carrier schedules are planned well in advance, more than a year,

Occasionally, one will be on the way home and one on the way out.

That is exactly what is happening now, but the media prefers the suggestion that it is something other than that.

1. Reagan is in Busan, South Korea on a port call. It is based in Japan and almost always part of the 7th fleet, the fleet responsible for that area. Named fleets are responsible for specific geographic areas.

2. Roosevelt just left the US on a scheduled deployment. Ships "in-chop" to the 7th fleet shortly after leaving Hawaii.

3, Nimitz is on it's way home from the Persian Gulf, and left the 5th fleet, entering the 7th fleet area on the 23rd. Simply transiting on its way home.

So, you have three carriers in the 7th fleet because one is permanently based there, one is transiting on its deployment, and one is transiting home.

Another case of the media overlooking the obvious for a suggestive headline, and people always bite.

Edited by sherpa

To answer your question directly, in 2007 three carrier battle groups were in the Pacific and didn't get "used."

The explanation is quite simple. Carrier schedules are planned well in advance, more than a year,

That is exactly what is happening now, but the media prefers the suggestion that it is something other than that.

1. Reagan is in Busan, South Korea on a port call. It is based in Japan and almost always part of the 7th fleet, the fleet responsible for that area. Named fleets are responsible for specific geographic areas.

2. Roosevelt just left the US on a scheduled deployment. Ships "in-chop" to the 7th fleet shortly after leaving Hawaii.

3, Nimitz is on it's way home from the Persian Gulf, and left the 5th fleet, entering the 7th fleet area on the 23rd. Simply transiting on its way home.

So, you have three carriers in the 7th fleet because one is permanently based there, one is transiting on its deployment, and one is transiting home.

Another case of the media overlooking the obvious for a suggestive headline, and people always bite.

And 7th Fleet has a wide AOR, as well - the whole Western Pacific, and I believe parts of the Indian Ocean as well. I wouldn't necessarily call that a "theater," not when it encompasses Korea, the Taiwan Straits, and the South China Sea (all of which are potential and distinct theaters.)

Yeah schedule coincidence.....

It happens all the time. When ships transit a fleet's AOR, they fall under that fleets command.

It could conceivably happen that a UCC can take advantage of that coincidental scheduling to have multiple carriers available for combat...but these sailing schedules are planed out years in advance according to maintenance cycles, and not changed arbitrarily.

:beer:

I don't play message board games.

If there's something somebody has to add to what I have posted, have at it.

Not understanding carrier transitioning fleet geographic boundaries is not an argument.

I really want to be a smartass and reply to something about your post and ending it with how it works in my bath tub. But I have a few things going on. A brunette with blue eyes is one of them

I'm always confused when situations like we have in N. Korea come along.

Can anyone explain why someone doesn't just shoot Kim Jong-Un in the head, throw his body in the Taedong River, and then go have lunch?

That's how many criminal Roman emperors met their fate, more or less, when those around them got fed up with their bull ****.

No need for wars, nuclear warheads, millions of deaths, and so on.

I'm always confused when situations like we have in N. Korea come along.

Can anyone explain why someone doesn't just shoot Kim Jong-Un in the head, throw his body in the Taedong River, and then go have lunch?

That's how many criminal Roman emperors met their fate, more or less, when those around them got fed up with their bull ****.

No need for wars, nuclear warheads, millions of deaths, and so on.

Not saying it couldn't happen but it is a pseudo worship thing with his whole family and even those around him don't have many alternatives to compare.

It's not wholly unlike a kid under 18 who is a Colts fan if you imply there could be a quarterback to replace Andrew Luck. Despite the results, Luck is still seen as a savior. He doesn't have the nickname Kim Jung QB for nothing.

the collapse at the Punggye-ri test site on Oct. 10.

3 weeks later and the Spy agencies didn't hear of this?

Underground doesn't show up very well on spy satellite photos.

Most of our intel about NK, we probably get from the South Koreans anyway.