Are we ramping up to war with North Korea?

North Korea's new Hwasong-15 missile: What the photos show

North Korea has test-fired a brand new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), which experts said shows a major advance in technology and threat.

"This isn't just a big missile for North Korea this is a big missile in general," Michael Duitsman, also research associate at CNS, told CNN. "There are not a lot of countries who could build a missile this big and have it work."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/29/asia/north-korea-hwasong-15-missile/index.html

2 hours ago, ALF said:

North Korea's new Hwasong-15 missile: What the photos show

North Korea has test-fired a brand new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), which experts said shows a major advance in technology and threat.

"This isn't just a big missile for North Korea this is a big missile in general," Michael Duitsman, also research associate at CNS, told CNN. "There are not a lot of countries who could build a missile this big and have it work."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/29/asia/north-korea-hwasong-15-missile/index.html

I wonder how much of that is Iran's doing.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, sherpa said:

And as the frog sits, the water gets warmer.

We don't have many realistic approaches with them as the United States. The rest of the world is on their laurels and not interested. They're dealing with their own issues they aren't worried about because Best Korea isn't targeting them. China doesn't care, Japan may care, so might WK. But BK is in a win/win situation. 

That little pea body dictator has everyone where he wants them. 

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

We don't have many realistic approaches with them as the United States. The rest of the world is on their laurels and not interested. They're dealing with their own issues they aren't worried about because Best Korea isn't targeting them. China doesn't care, Japan may care, so might WK. But BK is in a win/win situation. 

That little pea body dictator has everyone where he wants them. 

China cares.  And Japan REALLY cares.  You think Japan's debating military expeditionary forces and building aircraft carriers again just for the hell of it?

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Quite a bit, I'd imagine. 

But I'd also like to investigate a few others who would benefit from the acceleration of the DPRK nuclear program. 

Image result for hyangsan hotel

Hyangsan Hotel, NK... 

A Georgi meme would have been the perfect response, and you missed it.

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I don't think aliens built the Hyangsan Hotel, even if it is pyramidal.

:lol:

I don't either. 

(Fun exercise to make Tom call me an idiot: How many floors are there in the hotel? Why is that number significant? What other image was this hotel modeled after? Why is that important to this conversation?)

Edited by Deranged Rhino

6 hours ago, ALF said:

Just for fun... 

... Outside of support from Iran and Russia (which is highly probable) and other traditional nation states, are there other groups in existence with the technology to help accelerate the DPRK's rocket program? 

Image result for elon musk

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

http://www.weeklystandard.com/elon-musk-wants-to-end-government-subsidies/article/2009014

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/economy-budget/345338-can-we-wean-elon-musk-off-government-support-already

Edited by Deranged Rhino

42 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

China cares.  And Japan REALLY cares.  You think Japan's debating military expeditionary forces and building aircraft carriers again just for the hell of it?

I don't see any country putting boots on the ground as an offensive. best Korea is too unstable 

Different question, what is protocol for US jets or other nations needing to crash land/mayday on to a carrier not of their countrys origin?

11 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I don't see any country putting boots on the ground as an offensive. best Korea is too unstable 

Different question, what is protocol for US jets or other nations needing to crash land/mayday on to a carrier not of their countrys origin?

That's a weird question, but I have significant carrier experience.

The answer is that you would never "crash land,"  intentionally, on any carrier, your's or otherwise.

You would get close by and eject, and let the search and rescue forces pluck you out of the water.

You don't, one day, land on a carrier. Most planes aren't equipped for it, and unless trained extensively, it isn't possible.

That includes the US Air Force.

Simply not possible, and the damage would far exceed a simple "give it back to the taxpayer" ejection.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The protocol is: eject.

Nobody crash lands on a carrier if they can avoid it...and they can generally avoid it unless they're already committed to landing.

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

So, has Best Korea even addressed the reentry vehicle yet or are we still kvetching over bull ****?

The ICBM does not have to land,  exploding  above ground would knock out the electrical grid.