Has any team contacted EJ Manuel about a tryout?

HOUSE

Serious question: every time some once-celebrated QB fizzles out in the NFL, people will make jokes about how he should be able to find a new job .... in the CFL. Yet this never seems to happen. Why not? I don't live along the Canadian border anymore (not for a long, long time) so I don't pay much attention to the CFL. (Does anyone?) My question: why wouldn't a mobile QB, good athlete who succeeded in a more wide open CFL style college offense get a shot to reboot his career up north? Is it a restriction on non-Canadian players? If not, why does this never seem to happen?

For starters the pay is Canada is nothing compared to the NFL. Nothing. A lot of players who havent met the minimum for the pension are looking to get back on NFL teams to count toward years of service. Thus, players are better off staying in shape and waiting for injuries to happen and roster spots to open up and sign late in the off-season or even mid season.

Also, if a player goes North and struggles (for any number of reasons) then it looks bad to future employers as "they should have dominated CFL" while if they get thrown into the fire midseason in the NFL, then poor performance seems to be "more understandable" because of the circumstances.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's weird because he was the best QB in that draft and the best backup QB in the NFL, and now nothing? A Russian conspiracy is the only explanation I have.

I think it's more likely a Russian, Chinese, Iranian, North Korean, and Illuminati conspiracy!

EJ is clearly the hottest FA QB this offseason, and those insidious bastards are keeping the poor man down!

Serious question: every time some once-celebrated QB fizzles out in the NFL, people will make jokes about how he should be able to find a new job .... in the CFL. Yet this never seems to happen. Why not? I don't live along the Canadian border anymore (not for a long, long time) so I don't pay much attention to the CFL. (Does anyone?) My question: why wouldn't a mobile QB, good athlete who succeeded in a more wide open CFL style college offense get a shot to reboot his career up north? Is it a restriction on non-Canadian players? If not, why does this never seem to happen?

The pay scale is so much lower it is hard for many players who were making high salaries to adjust IMO. I think only if you have the real desire to play or not have better prospects you go to Canada. For a player like EJ he should be (and should have been during off seasons) seeking private help since according to many posters on this board the coaching staff could be replaced better by some posters or high school coaches.

I think it's more likely a Russian, Chinese, Iranian, North Korean, and Illuminati conspiracy!

EJ is clearly the hottest FA QB this offseason, and those insidious bastards are keeping the poor man down!

insidious indeed.

Hottest FA Back up qb

since Manziel got sober...ish

...yet he's garnered nine pages and 168 posts right here right now....go figure..............

So many wrong people. They have zero clue what they are looking at and rationalize it a) because hes on the team, b) hes a likesble guy, and c) it must be good because Whaley did it.

Im not wrong everyone spoke about ditka and he had a job at espn for years.

Everyone spoke about Oj and he had 15 tv shows.

Everyone makes fun of Kanya and he is still doing his thing. You wont find many successful overly sensitive to criticism people.

All good points I wasnt specific enough.

Let me re-phrase: in the MUSIC industry when people slander you before you really get "in" and signed and successful, it makes people not want to work with you because of what they hear about you even if its not true. Seen it happen with my own eyes. Im in a band and this **** happens all the time from labels all the way down to promoters booking certain gigs and bands, its madd political at certain level with certain people. Once you have a big enough name and fan base like Kanye you can destroy all black ball attempts because at that point you have power and your own troops on your side of things

All good points I wasnt specific enough.

Let me re-phrase: in the MUSIC industry when people slander you before you really get "in" and signed and successful, it makes people not want to work with you because of what they hear about you even if its not true. Seen it happen with my own eyes. Im in a band and this **** happens all the time from labels all the way down to promoters booking certain gigs and bands, its madd political at certain level with certain people. Once you have a big enough name and fan base like Kanye you can destroy all black ball attempts because at that point you have power and your own troops on your side of things

:o!!!!

What's the name? Wyld Stallyns?

Hmm. Thats not true. I am pretty sure we can dig up a number of posts along the lines of "EJ is better than Tyrod" and "I guarantee EJ will be on a roster in 2017" prior to that Jets game.

Ah, I missed that you were referring to certain esteemed posters here. Yes, plenty were saying that or suggesting the Bills resign him.

I was thinking actual football people.

iccrewman, Koolaid - thanks for answering my question. Even with the miserable pay up north I'm surprised a guy like EJ doesn't try to hook up with a CFL team. The alternative: go to camp with some other NFL team as a Jordan Palmer, kick around doing that (maybe Thad Lewis is a better comparison) for a few years, then fade from everyone's memory ...

:o!!!!

What's the name? Wyld Stallyns?

:lol::lol:

Rico, I fear you might be in the "thats not real music/rock n roll group"

We shot a pilot for a reality show with VH1...a regime change and ensuing politics kept us from getting picked up for our 1st season (no black ball there though, just business)....i dont wanna our name say on here....i like to keep my religion (music) and Govt (Sports and everything else) separate :lol::lol:

Lets just say its something rebellious because we are an aggressive group of guerrilla rebel anti-heroes. thats what makes us popular with the people. we are so honest and real, thats why the people feel us.

Plus some of you are all wise veteran savages and im so young compared to everyone here im not sure they would understand the music...except for maybe Gugny, FC, (God I cant believe i just complimented Firechan :wallbash: ) and RLB. 3rd n 12 would support it cuz thats my big breh and CGF is cool cuz She's cool about it.

Edited by Marty McFly

:lol::lol:

Rico, I fear you might be in the "thats not real music/rock n roll group"

We shot a pilot for a reality show with VH1...a regime change and ensuing politics kept us from getting picked up for our 1st season (no black ball there though, just business)....i dont wanna our name say on here....i like to keep my religion (music) and Govt (Sports and everything else) separate :lol::lol:

Lets just say its something rebellious because we are an aggressive group of guerrilla rebel anti-heroes. thats what makes us popular with the people. we are so honest and real, thats why the people feel us.

Plus some of you are all wise veteran savages and im so young compared to everyone here im not sure they would understand the music...except for maybe Gugny, FC, (God I cant believe i just complimented Firechan :wallbash: ) and RLB. 3rd n 12 would support it cuz thats my big breh and CGF is cool cuz She's cool about it.

Awesome! Much continued luck and success!

Yes I am older, but the politics wouldn't really bother me, but the style might. For instance, I like RATM but in smaller doses, I don't know if I could handle an entire show. Ii'm not against wild and loud, as long as the songs (with hooks) are there. Best show I've ever seen was Sex Pistols.

Edited by Rico

of all the people who have played for the Bills, EJ Manuel is at the top of the list with a handful of others who deserve success not yet found. The guy is, by all accounts, a great guy.

Too bad he's an absolutely trash football player. He's been able to play multiple years in the NFL and will leave it having made a lot of money. With his extremely limited skill set, that is definitely successful.

Too bad he's an absolutely trash football player. He's been able to play multiple years in the NFL and will leave it having made a lot of money. With his extremely limited skill set, that is definitely successful.

4 yrs an NFL qb and counting. Yep. Trash

John Murphy just said again EJ was a top 10 backup QB in the league. Does this guy ever watch anyother team in the NFL? I can't even believe this buffoon is still trying to say this garbage. EJ is not only the worst backup in the league, he's probably worse then every other QB including the 3s. I can't even comprehend how an objective person can watch EJ play and be so confused. A top ten back up? Is this guy on drugs?

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

John Murphy just said again EJ was a top 10 backup QB in the league. Does this guy ever watch anyother team in the NFL? I can't even believe this buffoon is still trying to say this garbage. EJ is not only the worst backup in the league, he's probably worse then every other QB including the 3s. I can't even comprehend how an objective person can watch EJ play and be so confused. A top ten back up? Is this guy on drugs?

No, he just doesn't live in hyperboleville like you apparently do

No, he just doesn't live in hyperboleville like you apparently do

watch the guy play. He can't throw the same ball twice. He was completely figured out a month into his rookie year and never got better. The guy is absolutely terrible and will probably never spend another sunday on an nfl roster. That doesn't happen to a top 10 backup.