Did LaCanfora Get Played?

Back in December, as we all well know, Jason La Canfora reported that the Bills had already decided to "move on" from Tyrod.

Further reports from La Can suggested the FO wanted to cut ties with Tyrod and that Cleveland was a likely landing place.

Is it possible that the Bills played him?

The Bills wanted to renegotiate Tyrod's contract but in this super-heated QB market they didn't seem to have a lot of leverage. Just this: they knew Tyrod wanted to stay with the Bills. So they leaked information that they were ready to move on to create enough media speculation that Tyrod starting feeling some motivation to renegotiate after all.

After all, if you want spurious information to go public, Jason's your man. Just one email, text or call to La Canfora would have been enough to create the necessary media buzz to make Tyrod nervous.

I have no insider information, just a curious, suspicious mind.

Organizations are known to put false information out there to find leaks. Tell one guy one story tell another guy another story. Whichever story gets leaked to the press is your mole.

Tyrion Lannister did just that when he leaked separate stories to Pycelle, Baelish, and Varys. Worked like a charm. Pegs must be a big GoT fan.

Who cares?

They're all idiots.

I don't know how it was over here, but it just got sickening the way some posters over at BBMB were vomiting out these "reports" from "experts" and "insiders" like LaCanfora as though they were actually arguments against anyone who said Taylor would be back.

In the end,

Media and "insiders" lose.

Logic wins.

Who cares?

They're all idiots.

I don't know how it was over here, but it just got sickening the way some posters over at BBMB were vomiting out these "reports" from "experts" and "insiders" like LaCanfora as though they were actually arguments against anyone who said Taylor would be back.

In the end,

Logic wins.

Here we tended to talk those reports with a grain of salt. Though a vocal minority were convinced they were true.

Who cares?

They're all idiots.

In the end,

Logic wins.

The Bills are a yawning chasm of dysfunction filled with dumpsters of flaming tires.

Back in December, as we all well know, Jason La Canfora reported that the Bills had already decided to "move on" from Tyrod.

Further reports from La Can suggested the FO wanted to cut ties with Tyrod and that Cleveland was a likely landing place.

Is it possible that the Bills played him?

The Bills wanted to renegotiate Tyrod's contract but in this super-heated QB market they didn't seem to have a lot of leverage. Just this: they knew Tyrod wanted to stay with the Bills. So they leaked information that they were ready to move on to create enough media speculation that Tyrod starting feeling some motivation to renegotiate after all.

After all, if you want spurious information to go public, Jason's your man. Just one email, text or call to La Canfora would have been enough to create the necessary media buzz to make Tyrod nervous.

I have no insider information, just a curious, suspicious mind.

It's possible McDermott bitchslapped Whaley and Co. and Pegula sided with his new Coach in keeping Tyrod. Also possible that Tyrod reworking his deal changed things. Could be LaConfora jumped to conclusuions by the benching. Tough to say how things go down at OBD but I highly doubt Whaley is playing some high level chess match months in advance because i simply think he doesn't have it in him.

The most likely scenario is that McDermott and Dennison really wanted to keep Tyrod Taylor and when he reworked his deal everyone was in agreement to keep him.

Who knows?

At one point in time, I think that JLC and others did have moles within the organization. Think back to the St. Doug stories that came out 3 years ago. However, whomever that mole was (Brandon?) -- he has either been canned, relinquished of inside info, or changed his decision to leak info.

I honestly believe that over the last year or so that none of these reporters -- local or otherwise -- have the first clue what is going on within the organization because the front office is now keeping everything close to the vest. So when JLC, Vic or whomever report that they have inside sources, it is likely BS and conjecture as we have seen. At least Rappaport and Schefter admit when they are speculating and wait until they get confirmation from players/agents/league officials/team officials before declaring something is so.

Now, playing my own conjecture game, here is what I think happened:

1. Tyrod, as we know, was Rex's guy. While I believe that is a true statement, it also does NOT mean that Whaley and./or others within the organization were necessarily ant-Tyrod guys.

2. After the Miami game, the Bills were officially eliminated and Rex was fired. The regular season finale against the Jets was meaningless. Lynn probably wanted to play to win to help his chances of landing a HC job here or elsewhere. Instead, Whaley/Pegula instructed him to sit Tyrod and start EJ and give Cardale some playing time as well. It was referred to as a business decision at the time, and that is exactly what it was. There was nothing to be gained by the Bills winning that game. Rather, it was a smart thing to do to sit Tyrod and avoid the risk of an injury -- and to also see what EJ and Cardale looked like in live game action. That whole situation looked bad at the time, but probably could have been clarified if Whaley had taken questions along with Lynn at the time everything went down.

3. The team performed a head coaching search -- and was willing to be open-minded about the QB position. Since Tyrod had been Rex's guy, Whaley/Pegula did not want to necessarily impose him upon the new head coach. Conversely, they also did not want to force the new coach (whomever that may have been) to go in another direction either.

3. One of the first things that McD did when he was hired was reach out to Tyrod. Based on what Tyrod said yesterday, it sounds like McD kept in touch with him throughout the process. He also made it a point to hire an OC who was familiar with Tyrod. We can surmise that McD had likely identified Tyrod as the best candidate to be his starting QB in 2017. McD also strikes me as being an honest, no-nonsense guy. So I think we can take his rare comments over the last couple of months at face value. What that also tells me is that he and his staff and reached a consensus that, while Tyrod is unlikely to ever be a franchise QB, he is a guy you can win with if things around him (including the defense) are shored up.

4. Whaley, less forthright than McD, had pretty much come to the same conclusion in terms of Tyrod's prospects. I think he tried investigating the possibility of upgrading the position and realized that there was no realistic option to do that for 2017. There was also the $ aspect and trying to work with Tryod's people to get him to restructure. So when McD said last week that no decision had yet been made about Tyrod's future, I believe he was being honest.

5. When it was all said and done, I believe the coaches asked the front office to retain Tyrod, which they were willing to do once Tyrod agreed to restructure his contract.

In the end this was a win-win for all parties. I am not sure how anyone could claim that the process showed dysfunction when it actually showed just the opposite. I also do not see how we can speculate that there was a power struggle here either. Whaley does not strike me as a power-hungry guy. He pretty much worked with Marrone to get him the guys he wanted and by all accounts he did the same for Rex. And it looks like he is doing the same thing with McD so far.

I think the negative spin on everything that has happened since week 16 of the regular season is twofold:

1. The press is annoyed with the Bills for keeping info on the low-down and not leaking info.

2. Neither Pegula nor Whaley are especially articulate or like being in front of a camera. So neither has exactly won the war with the media -- or even tried to for that matter.

They probably did. McDermott convinced them to keep him

This is likely true. Whaley was ready to move on from TT in December, but his new HC said "stand down, chief".

And at that point he made Whaley privy to the fact the he was keeping TT.

Organizations are known to put false information out there to find leaks. Tell one guy one story tell another guy another story. Whichever story gets leaked to the press is your mole.

No he just makes **** up... You think he would go through the trouble of getting g information?

Exactly. People love rumours and reports, and as long as he keeps putting it out there and gets the odd one right, people will continue to follow him

And lo, here's another thread containing his name on social media, thus generating heat for him on the Googs. Who cares if he's right? He generates clicks and eyeballs, his bosses are happy. Sounds like we are the ones getting played.

Edited by jimmy10