Welcome Micah Hyde

They did

Ditto Zach Brown

And did anyone do cartwheels the we signed them?

Nope, because they were all backups

We also didn't spend anywhere near 6M a season when we acquired them

That's a fact!!!!!!!

Hey maybe the guy, like all the above works out here, comes of age

Or maybe he plays like a decent backup

But is should be noted a perennial playoff team like the Green Bay packers didn't think he was good enough to start for them

Nor were they willing to give him that money

jc

It should be noted that perennial playoff team the Colts didn't think Hughes was good enough to start for them.

It should be noted that perennial playoff teams the Ravens and Steelers didn't think James Harrison was not only good enough to start but even as a backup....why is why he was cut twice. Then went to NFL Europe.

Seems to me that after evaluation, you don't think that McDermott has a good ability to project a player. Not saying Hyde will undoubtedly become a good player but you're holding your article as gospel.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, no gospel, but I am also not drinking koolaid and projecting him to be a key starter for the Buffalo Bills either

And or doing backflips cos our team signed the 7th best safety FA this off season

And then comparing him to project like former Bills FA signings

Unlike say the Titans, Ravens, & Jaguars fans who can honestly say their teams signed better potential FA safeties

Like the Packers fans I hope we use one our first two draft picks on a future starting safety with a potential higher ceiling

jc

Nope, no gospel, but I am also not drinking koolaid and projecting him to be a key starter for the Buffalo Bills either

And or doing backflips cos our team signed the 7th best safety FA this off season

Unlike say the Titans, Ravens, & Jaguars fans who can honestly say their teams signed better potential FA safeties

Like the Packers fans I hope we use one our first two draft picks on a future starting safety with a potential higher ceiling

jc

I am curious on what evaluation you read that makes him the "7tth best safety free agent signing'

what determines that? Or is that just your opinion.

I am curious on what evaluation you read that makes him the "7tth best safety free agent signing'

what determines that? Or is that just your opinion.

Wilcoam's just being Wilcoam.

Those with eyes to see know that Hyde is a versatile and valuable defender.

Those with limited viewpoint will say "he's not a very good corner" or "he's only a mediocre safety", completely ignoring the fact that a player versatile enough to play FS, SS, CB, and return punts is a great addition to a team. He can cover slot WRs, TEs, can come up into the box and stop the run, and will provide toughness and stability. He also didn't break the bank. He only got the contract we were going to give Aaron Williams.

To me, Hyde is the definition of the RIGHT kind of free agent signing. Good player, just coming into his prime, at the right price. My favorite FA signing by the Bills so far.

Alas, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and Wilcoam's gonna Wilcoam.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20170118/sports/301189779

Versatile Micah Hyde Emerges as Packers Playoff Playmaker

Micah Hyde, the Green Bay Packers' jack-of-all-trades in the secondary, is assuming another new role this season - playoff playmaker.

He is listed as a safety on the Packers roster, but really plays more of a slot cornerback role, at least when he's not needed to fill in on the outside against receivers.

Versatility has become an asset in Green Bay, in part because of injuries, but also as a way to help keep up with prolific passing attacks such as the one the Packers will face in Atlanta in the NFC title game on Sunday against the Falcons.Whatever Hyde is called upon to do, the fourth-year defensive back out of Iowa has found a way to make an impact.

"Versatility for playmakers, definitely it's at a premium," coach Mike McCarthy said. "You look at just the way the league is, the spread wide-open offenses, you definitely want to have to same counter-balance to that defensively."

The closest multipurpose player with similar impact for the Falcons might be Ben Garland, a backup offensive lineman who also plays defense.

He had the biggest play of his career last week against Seattle, when he was credited with a safety in the second quarter of the 36-20 win in the divisional round.

Switched recently to offense, Garland has more experience on defense, actually, in his career. It's what he played in college at Air Force, and during his first NFL stint with the Denver Broncos. It's what makes his big play in the Seahawks game so sweet.

"It's a ton of work, a ton of film study, a ton of study in the playbooks," Garland said. "I love the opportunity. Shoot, I get the opportunity to play two-way in the NFL, or three-way with special teams too."

But few players may be as valuable to their teams in multiple roles as Hyde. Against Dallas last week , Hyde had four tackles, a sack and an 18-yard interception after jumping in front of a short pass intended for receiver Dez Bryant in the slot.

In the regular-season finale against Detroit, Hyde held up well after he was forced to play outside cornerback in the fourth quarter after injuries whittled depth.

In Week 15 against Chicago with the Packers clinging to a six-point lead, Hyde broke up a pass at the goal line intended for Cameron Meredith on third-and-goal from the 4 to prevent a touchdown.

"You look back at his rookie year, started out as corner, moved into the nickel, has played safety," McCarthy said on Wednesday.

"So not only to make that adjustment in the flow of a game without reps is something he's been able to do, pretty much the last couple of years. I can't just say enough about the flexibility he gives us a staff."

They can be flexible with other players on defense, too. Safety Morgan Burnett, who missed practice on Wednesday with a quadriceps injury, has played an inside linebacker-like role against some teams, allowing the Packers to keep a strong defender on the field against the run while keeping the flexibility to match up against the pass.

The team's star pass rusher, outside linebacker Clay Matthews, can move to inside linebacker and call defensive plays when needed. Datone Jones has moved between the defensive line and outside linebacker.

On offense, former receiver Ty Montgomery has embraced his return to running back, a position he played in high school, to help make up for the season-ending injury to starter Eddie Lacy in October. Montgomery is gradually picking up the nuances of the position, especially in pass protection, at NFL speed.

But Montgomery has shown flashes of being a consistent playmaker, including two rushing touchdowns last week against the Cowboys . It's invaluable experience for a second-year player assuming a big postseason role for the first time in his career.

"Any type of playoff experience that you can get, whether it's the NFC championship game or ... or any playoff, it's good to have that experience under your belt" said Hyde, who was with the Packers two seasons ago for the loss in the NFC title game to Seattle.

"Because it is amped up in the playoffs, it really is, and you've got play mistake-free football."

jc

Uhhh...yes gospel. You're using that article you posted as evidence that Hyde isn't that good. I'm not doing back flips or drinking Kool aid either but I'm also not shooting down this FA signing because an article said he's not a starter.

When did I project him to be other Bills signings? I'm just giving examples of back ups that came in as great starters...just to show you can have succees with these type of FA.

Seems to me you like putting words in people's mouths in an attempt to "strengthen" your argument.

I keep hearing he's a Swiss Army knife who can line up all over. Has playoff and big game experience, and is smart enough to predict plays and formations from offenses.

Not to mention 6.5 million a year is pretty cheap. We would have paid Aaron that much anyways. Hyde is going into his prime, Aaron is past his.

@jeremyWGR

From Kevin Seifert, Winners and losers of Day 1. His favorite signing, belongs to the #Bills (Micah Hyde)

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/232946/nfl-day-1-free-agency-winners-and-losers

Nice find.

Defensive back Micah Hyde caught my eye during a Green Bay Packers minicamp in 2013 and to me, he has been one of the NFL's most valuable and versatile players since then. Hyde said in a statement that the Packers never made him an offer, a surprising revelation for a team that almost always locks up its best players, but their loss is the Buffalo Bills' gain.

The Bills reportedly gave former Packers safety Micah Hyde a five-year deal. Joe Robbins/Getty Images

As a part-time player for the Packers, Hyde had eight interceptions, four sacks, six fumble recoveries and three punt returns for touchdowns. He can play cornerback or safety, functions well in blitz packages and has a clear nose for the ball. The Bills will expect him to be a full-time player, based on a five-year contract that includes $14 million in guarantees, but there is every reason to think Hyde can handle it.

I usually hate when coaches describe someone as "just a good football player," but that really is what Hyde is. He is the kind of "glue player" that every team needs. I can't argue with the Packers' decision to prioritize a pass-rusher (linebacker Nick Perry) over a defensive back, but Hyde leaves a multifaceted role that will be difficult for one player to fill.

I scoured through several games from 2015 and 2016 to see what kind of player Micah Hyde is. We got a hell of a player on our hands. Take his athletic ability, instincts, play speed, tackling and much more with the Bills new defense and the sky is the limit. He can match up with TEs, Big WRs and RBs..great chess piece..

Full breakdown with a ton of film: http://www.cover1.net/2017/03/free-agent-signing-scb-micah-hyde/

Enjoy

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

They did

Ditto Zach Brown

And did anyone do cartwheels the we signed them?

Nope, because they were all backups

We also didn't spend anywhere near 6M a season when we acquired them

That's a fact!!!!!!!

Hey maybe the guy, like all the above works out here, comes of age

Or maybe he plays like a decent backup

But is should be noted a perennial playoff team like the Green Bay packers didn't think he was good enough to start for them

Nor were they willing to give him that money

jc

What should really be noted is the Packers often let free agents walk and rebuild through the draft. You mention a perennial playoff team, but they have an all-time great QB and are always hovering around 10-6. Like I said, the Packers often let players walk and try to rebuild through the draft. Andrew Brandt a former executive with the Packers has mentioned it several times on his weekly Sirius segment with Ross Tucker. The Packers letting Hyde walk, means absolutely nothing about his ability.