Gilmore to be...a patriot

I really think he'll play well there. Teams *have* to pass a lot against the Pats, and they have to make a lot of intermediate and deeper throws simply to catch up (chances are they'll be behind from early on in the game). He is one of the best in the league at that part of the game. It makes a ton of sense to me.

Going back to 2010, the Pats have been in the top ten (and often near the very top of the league) in terms of passes thrown against their defense.

Yeah that's a great point....they are usually protecting leads so pass defense is more important.......I just think Gilmore's tape makes him a target though.

Teams know.

When TE's run up on you and just assume they can hurdle you.......that's tape. :lol:

Who was it to went to hurdle him later in the season and he just backpedaled away so he didn't get T-bagged again?

I think he will play very well in coverage when he's healthy.........and with the Bills playing zone pass defense they are liable to get flattened in those two games until Brady leaves anyway.........but I think he will be finishing seasons on IR.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's a great point....they are usually protecting leads so pass defense is more important.......I just think Gilmore's tape makes him a target though.

Teams know.

When TE's run up on you and just assume they can hurdle you.......that's tape. :lol:

Who was it to went to hurdle him later in the season and he just backpedaled away so he didn't get T-bagged again?

I think he will play very well in coverage when he's healthy.........and with the Bills playing zone pass defense they are liable to get flattened in those two games until Brady leaves anyway.........but I think he will be finishing seasons on IR.

Good points from you too! Btw, he tends not to finish on IR, but with 1-2 game-length injuries (weeks 16 and 17). Now he'll have that extra bye week to be ready for the divisional round!

Edited by dave mcbride

Not sure why everyone is over reacting about this. Based on reactions...if Bears sign him, we are smart and let him walk. If Pats sign him, we are dumb for letting him walk? I mean that doesnt even make sense...everyone knew he was gone, so what difference does it make if it was Pats, Bears, or some other team?

Gilmore ideally would have been great to keep, but was also going to cost a lot to do so. Pats are bringing him in, but also are likely losing their 2 starting DBs, so Gilmore isn't really changing much for the Pats on the defensive side of the ball, more of a lateral move at DB if Butler leaves. Pats are by far the class of the AFC regardless, we are not going to win the division from them next year unless Brady goes down with an injury anyway.

Literally nothing to see here.

Not sure why everyone is over reacting about this. Based on reactions...if Bears sign him, we are smart and let him walk. If Pats sign him, we are dumb for letting him walk? I mean that doesnt even make sense...everyone knew he was gone, so what difference does it make if it was Pats, Bears, or some other team?

Gilmore ideally would have been great to keep, but was also going to cost a lot to do so. Pats are bringing him in, but also are likely losing their 2 starting DBs, so Gilmore isn't really changing much for the Pats on the defensive side of the ball, more of a lateral move at DB if Butler leaves. Pats are by far the class of the AFC regardless, we are not going to win the division from them next year unless Brady goes down with an injury anyway.

People are talking a lot about it because a) everyone here cares about the Pats (for obvious reasons) and b) no one here really cares about the Bears.

We are dumb for letting him walk no matter where he goes. Certain posters were just waiting to point to the Bears as morons for signing him, but can't because BB got him.

I will add this:

The best hope any of the AFC East teams has of approaching the Pats is injuries.......injuries are the only thing that's kept them out of numerous other SB appearances..........so adding an injury prone CB has an upside for fans.

A press box with Brady, Gronk and Gilmore in it late in the season is the best chance to get around them.

Sweating the head to heads if they are healthy is not worth the effort.

Vic Carucci (from Sirius)

- Talked to people at top of Bills org for over a year, Gilmore made it clear he wanted no less than $14MM

- Felt he backed it up with a 5 pick season

- The Bills were closer to $12MM, but not going up to $14MM - didn't seem him at the top of his position

- Deal with Pats is un-Patriot like, but you don't question BB

Good points from you too! Btw, he tends not to finish on IR, but with 1-2 game-length injuries (weeks 16 and 17). Now he'll have that extra bye week to be ready for the divisional round!

All his injuries have been from contact.

Broke his forearm tackling in preseason.

Tore up shoulder twice.

Concussion last year in 15th game after dodging contact like a champ all year.

When you play with the Bills........you get a lot of meaningless, low impact games.

When you play for the Pats.....teams bring their A game every week.

It's not an accident that they have always had a lot of injuries.......their players are asked to do quite a lot.

It's because the Pats (who destroy the Bills twice every single year) just got that much better. The time was NOW to start from scratch and now they have wasted more years by signing a QB who will never get them to the playoffs while Brady is still around. 4 years from now, Patriots will go 3-13 and pick up a top QB in the draft. Bills are too stupid once again.....YAY, let's try and have EVERYTHING go perfect so we MAYBE get to 10 wins - can't wait

I made this point in a prior post so excuse me for the repetition. The Pats have a demonstrably better roster that just won a SB. Yet they are significantly under the cap while the Bills with a much lesser roster are cap squeezed. The Pats have a history of letting very good players go (Traded LB Collins) and fill the gap with cheaper and just as effective players. They do it all the time.

You have to marvel how the Pats under Belichick manage and maneuver under the system that all teams abide by. While the Bills are a team in motion, as all teams are at this time of year, it ends up when all is said and done that we are actually standing still instead of moving forward.

All his injuries have been from contact.

Broke his forearm tackling in preseason.

Tore up shoulder twice.

Concussion last year in 15th game after dodging contact like a champ all year.

When you play with the Bills........you get a lot of meaningless, low impact games.

When you play for the Pats.....teams bring their A game every week.

It's not an accident that they have always had a lot of injuries.......their players are asked to do quite a lot.

He only had a shoulder problem once (2015). He didn't finish in 2014 because of concussion in the Raiders game and in 2016 because of a concussion in the Miami game. He'd have been ready for the divisional round in both cases.

Edited by dave mcbride

People are talking a lot about it because a) everyone here cares about the Pats (for obvious reasons) and b) no one here really cares about the Bears.

You are missing the point. The weaker franchise couldn't afford to keep him because of cap restrictions while the more accomplished franchise had plenty of cap space to bring him in. The issue is more than an individual transaction. It goes directly to the heart of the Bills lack of success i.e. poor organizational decisions.

You are missing the point. The weaker franchise couldn't afford to keep him because of cap restrictions while the more accomplished franchise had plenty of cap space to bring him in. The issue is more than an individual transaction. It goes directly to the heart of the Bills lack of success i.e. poor organizational decisions.

I get all of that - really, I do - but the point still stands: no one cares about the Bears here and everyone cares about the Pats. If Bob Woods had signed with the Pats instead of the Rams, we'd be on page 28 by now.

It's true and underscores the value of coaching and QB play.

But it's not just an indictment of the Bills.......they are a larger offendor.....but lot's of lesser organizations are in worse cap shape than the Pats.

Their roster is actually not that individually impressive.........they've really managed to build a coaches dream........a team of role players lead by a great QB.

That's why this Gilmore thing does not make sense........I don't think he fits the "do your job" role very well.

We'll see.

It's because the Pats (who destroy the Bills twice every single year) just got that much better. The time was NOW to start from scratch and now they have wasted more years by signing a QB who will never get them to the playoffs while Brady is still around. 4 years from now, Patriots will go 3-13 and pick up a top QB in the draft. Bills are too stupid once again.....YAY, let's try and have EVERYTHING go perfect so we MAYBE get to 10 wins - can't wait

No offense, but this is quite the over exaggeration based on what is expected to happen with the Gilmore signing.

1. More than likely, Pats lose both Butler and Logan as a result.

2. Gilmore replacing Butler is basically a lateral move...and an argument can be made if its slightly worse or slightly better, either way its close.

3. Gilmore coming in and Pats replacing both starting corners isn't making the Pats "that much better", in fact, their D likely isnt any better than it was last year.

Now if the Pats retain Butler and Gilmore, sure, I would easily say that Gilmore is an upgrade over Logan and therefore upgrades their secondary. But the odds of Pats keeping Butler after what they gave Gilmore are low and a trade is expected. But all signs point to Logan going elsewhere because of the contract they gave Gilmore, and that Butler is going to be traded...meaning Butler is replaced by Gilmore, and that is a lateral move on D.

Now they could trade Butler for Cooks, and while I am sure people are going to over react to that, keep in mind, Cooks was inconsistent with a first ballot HOF QB averaging 5000 yards a season for last 3 years in a pass happy offense and also was injury prone. Brady is going to be Brady whether Cooks or Edelman is his #1 target and that offense is going to be lethal either way. Just like how people FREAKED OUT last year when they got Bennett and thought he and Gronk were going to decimate people when in reality, Bennett didn't come close to having the impact everyone panicked about.

This is literally NO BIG DEAL. Pats will be in the AFC Championship game again next year agasint probably either Broncos, Steelers, Chiefs, or Raiders. And Gilmore isnt making that less or more certain.

They did what I was hoping for with Taylor.

They screwed up with Gilmore. Should have tried to extend him last off season when he wanted to talk. He was obviously playing to protect himself all season to get to this point and he found someone willing to pay him. That's the business. Good for him, I suppose.

Now I'd take those new fullbacks and run at Gilmore all day long twice a year. He doesn't mind tackling when he's motivated, but he also doesn't seem to know how to do it without getting himself hurt.

No offense, but this is quite the over exaggeration based on what is expected to happen with the Gilmore signing.

1. More than likely, Pats lose both Butler and Logan as a result.

2. Gilmore replacing Butler is basically a lateral move...and an argument can be made if its slightly worse or slightly better, either way its close.

3. Gilmore coming in and Pats replacing both starting corners isn't making the Pats "that much better", in fact, their D likely isnt any better than it was last year.

Now if the Pats retain Butler and Gilmore, sure, I would easily say that Gilmore is an upgrade over Logan and therefore upgrades their secondary. But the odds of Pats keeping Butler after what they gave Gilmore are low and a trade is expected. But all signs point to Logan going elsewhere because of the contract they gave Gilmore, and that Butler is going to be traded...meaning Butler is replaced by Gilmore, and that is a lateral move on D.

Now they could trade Butler for Cooks, and while I am sure people are going to over react to that, keep in mind, Cooks was inconsistent with a first ballot HOF QB averaging 5000 yards a season for last 3 years in a pass happy offense and also was injury prone. Brady is going to be Brady whether Cooks or Edelman is his #1 target and that offense is going to be lethal either way. Just like how people FREAKED OUT last year when they got Bennett and thought he and Gronk were going to decimate people when in reality, Bennett didn't come close to having the impact everyone panicked about.

This is literally NO BIG DEAL. Pats will be in the AFC Championship game again next year agasint probably either Broncos, Steelers, Chiefs, or Raiders. And Gilmore isnt making that less or more certain.

Huh? Bennet was really good and was great Gronk insurance.

BB knows DB's. Gilmore is a great add to any team and he just got added to our most hated rival who pounds us into the dust every year.

Edited by FireChan