Bills tender Groy and Gillislee, but not IK or Schmidt

If I am not mistaken (and someone please correct me if I am wrong), doesn't Groy only have a total of 2 accrued seasons? If that is the case, wouldn't he be an Exclusive Rights Free Agent rather than a Restricted Free Agent? If he is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, that means that he CANNOT sign with another team since the Bills have provided him with an offer.

SPOTRAC has him as an RFA, like most places I have seen him listed as a RFA as well

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Schmidt was terrible last season. I don't know if my heart could take another 16 yard punt off the side of his foot.

I jest of course but those short punts gave the Bills a better chance to win since self-proclaimed genius Rex Ryan's defense could never stop anyone from any point on the field. A good punt would have allowed the opponent to sustain an 80+ yard drive for a TD and burn more clock rather than forcing them to score from closer to the Bills goal line. This left more time on the clock to mount a comeback. But you ask, what comeback?

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

I mean what Front office wouldn't give an extra 1M non guaranteed for the chance at Keeping a very good RB, and or taking a 5th rounder and making it a 2nd rounder.

Our front office is always playing checkers (and this might be too high of praise) while others playing chess

I agree. We should have given him the 2nd round offer.

I've heard they are trying to sign him to an extended contract, but why risk losing him to another team?

I agree. We should have given him the 2nd round offer.

I've heard they are trying to sign him to an extended contract, but why risk losing him to another team?

Agree this too. if they are trying to work on a long term deal with him, why not lock him up until after the draft with the 2nd round tender and then work out the deal

All the people griping that Gillislee wasn't tendered at the 2nd round level and blaming Whaley would DEFINITELY be complaining "Why offer so much to a back-up?" if he HAD been tendered at said level, and would still be blaming Whaley.

Oh, and I suppose if no one bites on Gillislee and we wind up getting him for $1million cheaper than we would have had we tendered him higher, you'll all come back to this thread to eat crow and praise Whaley's sound decision making, right?

Pfffft.

Agree this too. if they are trying to work on a long term deal with him, why not lock him up until after the draft with the 2nd round tender and then work out the deal

So what happens if another team gives a higher offer to MG? Do the Bills get a chance to match that offer? Or is MG gone if he accepts that competing offer?

All the people griping that Gillislee wasn't tendered at the 2nd round level and blaming Whaley would DEFINITELY be complaining "Why offer so much to a back-up?" if he HAD been tendered at said level, and would still be blaming Whaley.

Oh, and I suppose if no one bites on Gillislee and we wind up getting him for $1million cheaper than we would have had we tendered him higher, you'll all come back to this thread to eat crow and praise Whaley's sound decision making, right?

Pfffft.

Wrong. I would not. There are two moves they made this offseason I do not agree with. Tender level of Mike and releasing NRC

So what happens if another team gives a higher offer to MG? Do the Bills get a chance to match that offer? Or is MG gone if he accepts that competing offer?

They get to match, but the structure could be as such they wont Match ALA Clay and Hogan was.

Whaley drafts Karlos William

Whaley finds Mike Gillislee

Now he is an idiot and forgot how to value RB's. If he thinks he can find a guy cheaper then Mike, and get a draft pick out it, then lets see what happens.

There are alot of FA RBs out there right now. I would think even if someone does snag Gillislee, we get a 5 and can still sign somebody off FA.

Now I would rather keep Gillislee, but I,don't see antthong wrong with the current tender level. I know it's "only a million more" but that does currently represent over 5% of the free cap money.

There are alot of FA RBs out there right now. I would think even if someone does snag Gillislee, we get a 5 and can still sign somebody off FA.

Now I would rather keep Gillislee, but I,don't see antthong wrong with the current tender level. I know it's "only a million more" but that does currently represent over 5% of the free cap money.

Yep, that "only a million" can be a special team player or two, or even our new kicker or punter.

Well you want me to talk that as well, Bills are Horrible at their cap management and give out way to many bad contracts

Yep, that "only a million" can be a special team player or two, or even our new kicker or punter.

Yeah who cares about quality it is about quantity

Two things determined the level at which they tendered him:

1) They are cash strapped this season. Witness the release of the freaking LONG SNAPPER to see how badly they need all the $$$ they can get.

2) Excellent year for running backs in the draft. They figure other teams would rather draft a 5th round RB than have to give up a 5th round pick for an older, more expensive guy. And if some other team DOES bite and give up a 5th round pick, Bills will be thrilled, as they only have six picks in a deep draft.