Does Watson's impressive combine do anything for you?

After seeing more of Mahomes, I'm actually turning the corner on this guy and hoping the Bills draft him, even at #10.

A get a serious bust vide from Trubisky, and Watson seems to have a little too robotic of a personality. The thing on Watson is totally nit-picky I know, I just like the way Mahomes carries himself. He seems to have that Brett Favre energy and enthusiasm that, while it may not show up in stats, matters to building a winning culture. BTW, I'm not looking into getting in debates over the top QBs. This is just my observations at the moment.

Having said all that, I'm expecting by the time the draft rolls around Mahomes will become the top QB and the Bills won't even have a shot unless they trade up. Watson would be fine with me at #10 if that happened. I didn't think I'd want the Bills to go QB, but I've come around to both Mahomes and Watson.

Tyrod Taylor is a distant memory for me. Staying average is not a plan.

I feel the same as you regarding the vibes given out by both Trubisky and Watson. I just can't see either one of them on the podium at a Super Bowl. The way a guy carries himself really says a lot about their future as a QB imo. All of the greats have had a certain sense of arrogance to their personality. Great QB's are all very self assured people. The minute you hear them talk you get the feeling that they believe the world belongs to them. I don't get that from Watson or Trubisky. Trubisky really lost me with the demand that he now be referred to as "Mitchell" as well. It's not a big deal but it just seems like a silly time to do this as a potential first round QB.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watson's combine was in no way a surprise for me. He is the best Quarterback in this class.

As others have said the whiteboard will have been where I was most interested in how he showed up. If he gets the mental transition (getting away from a relatively simple reads and progressions system and coming to a more complex system) then he will be a franchise Quarterback.

I feel the same as you regarding the vibes given out by both Trubisky and Watson. I just can't see either one of them on the podium at a Super Bowl. The way a guy carries himself really says a lot about their future as a QB imo. All of the greats have had a certain sense of arrogance to their personality. Great QB's are all very self assured people. The minute you hear them talk you get the feeling that they believe the world belongs to them. I don't get that from Watson or Trubisky. Trubisky really lost me with the demand that he now be referred to as "Mitchell" as well. It's not a big deal but it just seems like a silly time to do this as a potential first round QB.

Did you think Watson would be on the podium after beating the Tide in the national championship game?

I don't know what more Watson would have to do to show he has it. He may not be good enough in the pros but he definitely as much "it" going into the draft as any qb in recent years.

Mitchell > Mitch.

Tru and Watson will both be good imo, definetly better than any Bills qb since Jimbo.

Did you think Watson would be on the podium after beating the Tide in the national championship game?

I don't know what more Watson would have to do to show he has it. He may not be good enough in the pros but he definitely as much "it" going into the draft as any qb in recent years.

You make valid points. I'm just expressing a gut feeling that isn't remotely backed by any scientific fact. I think a lot of guys had "it"

in college but the pros are another story. The pros require a different kind of "it" factor. Great college players don't always translate to the pros and average college players can become great pros.

Mitchell > Mitch.

Tru and Watson will both be good imo, definetly better than any Bills qb since Jimbo.

We shall see. That's what I love about this time of year. I give Watson a chance at being a decent starter for a few years. I don't see him as a long term championship winning QB. The QB formerly known as Mitch is someone I worry about being a bust.

Nope. A QB with an accuracy problem in a league where passing requires reaction and thinking will only exacerbate the issue. There's no QB in this draft worth drafting if you plan to stake you franchise and job on it. This is the Manuel draft all over. Taking one for the sake of taking one has been this team's problem. Manuel and Losman were taken because of a desperate need and it failed miserably. When national experts (in others opinions) don't think any are legit franchise talents nor worth an early pick, that should tell you something.

Draft some raw guy later, like a CJ, and stock up on needs with your early picks and via FA.

I think in the end, TT stays because he's better than the draft options. McDermott with a good D can win and sneak into the playoffs, just won't win there with TT. Mediocre QBs make the playoffs with good teams around them. I'm betting that's the shortterm plan from OBD while they draft and try to groom a QB.

All I really remember about EJs combine was how impressed Whaley was with his hand size.

If you are gonna ride a guy's jock for a few years...it's reportedly a good indicator....

On topic...it helps. We've seen a lot of great feedback from coaches and players about Watson. We've seen his record in college. Now we've seen him show up under strong pressure and stand out amongst his peers. It's so tough to trust Whaley and, based on Watson's combine performance and the national media talking up his rising draft stock, cutting Tyrod and going with Watson in 16/17 is a hard path to follow. In large part because he may not be available at 10 and trading a second pick in addition to the existing pick at 10 is too high a cost with the cap space and required talent at multiple positions in 17/18. But, if the question is "do you like him more as a possible franchise qb?", then the answer is yes.

Want another team stat. 32nd ranked passing game

Guys such a bum he can't make the easy plays that the dominant run game sets up for him.

Tyrod's career was over after the second Pats game in 15 when the ghost of Trent Edwards took over his soul.

He can't beat a .500 team but it's not on him. Lulzzzzzzz.

Can't wait for another 111 yard season opener. Draft a qb in the first and let's close the door on this critically flawed passer.

Your getting closer. Like I said spend a tiny bit of time and I wont tear down that pathetically built house.

1.What wr options did Tyrod have this year? Seriously what talent was available?

2. Did Tyrod call his plays?

3. Do you know that having a good passing offense requires wrs that arent fa bumba that noone else wants?

4. Did you know passing the ball requires capable pass protection?

Cmon man just admit tour pretty bad with your hot takes. I mean keep posting in a vaccum thinking wverything is on the qb it should bea easy.

Nope. A QB with an accuracy problem in a league where passing requires reaction and thinking will only exacerbate the issue. There's no QB in this draft worth drafting if you plan to stake you franchise and job on it. This is the Manuel draft all over. Taking one for the sake of taking one has been this team's problem. Manuel and Losman were taken because of a desperate need and it failed miserably. When national experts (in others opinions) don't think any are legit franchise talents nor worth an early pick, that should tell you something.

Draft some raw guy later, like a CJ, and stock up on needs with your early picks and via FA.

I think in the end, TT stays because he's better than the draft options. McDermott with a good D can win and sneak into the playoffs, just won't win there with TT. Mediocre QBs make the playoffs with good teams around them. I'm betting that's the shortterm plan from OBD while they draft and try to groom a QB.

Well said. I also really worry that Trubisky is the ultimate fools gold. Pocket passers in college are so few that NFL teams tend to over value anyone who is a pocket passer. The guy played one year in college. He has all measurable that scouts want, but we really haven't a clue what he's all about.

Your getting closer. Like I said spend a tiny bit of time and I wont tear down that pathetically built house.

1.What wr options did Tyrod have this year? Seriously what talent was available?

2. Did Tyrod call his plays?

3. Do you know that having a good passing offense requires wrs that arent fa bumba that noone else wants?

4. Did you know passing the ball requires capable pass protection?

Cmon man just admit tour pretty bad with your hot takes. I mean keep posting in a vaccum thinking wverything is on the qb it should bea easy.

Sweet excuses, do better research. Tyrod held the ball way too long and the protection was more than sufficient. The WRs are pros your man just can't read the field.

Go read the trade Tyrod to Cleveland thread and see what folks are saying about sir can't pass a lot.

You're too emotion based. It's time to face facts. 25th of 32 in passing yards. Gross.

I have no problem saying I'm a Watson fan. Kid may have some flaws (they all do) but he just balls out in big moments. He's relaxed, doesn't seem to get rattled, keeps his focus and you feel like the team is never out of it with him back there. Inaccurate on the deep ball and some poor decision making is about the only consistent knocks I see on the guy. His FBI (football intelligence) is high, he's a team-first guy (news out of the Combine on him was he impressed teams in interviews by highlighting team accomplishments and taking the focus away from himself) and his teammates believe in him and that's big. I don't think he's Tyrod 2.0, I think he hangs in the pocket a bit longer than Tyrod does and he seems to throw a bigger variety of routes. But, as I say in a lot of threads, keep in mind that Greg Roman's playbook had about 400 different ways to run the ball and like 50 ways of throwing it. Those are made up numbers but the gist of it is, Roman has always been knocked for a predictable passing scheme, it's not his strong suit. I like what I know of Dennison's offense so far in that it involves a lot of QB movement which is something I've felt they should've been doing with Tyrod since day one. His height limits his visibility so they need to roll him out, move him around and that'll open up different lanes for him to throw into.

Anywho... Watson's combine performance may have moved him up a little bit on some boards so who knows if he'll even be there at 10. If he is I think the Bills would have a tough decision to make even if they keep Tyrod.

I dont think Mahomes gets to the 2nd unfortunately

Yeah, I don't see that happening either. If you like him, get him at 10. Even though I have a funny feeling he is going to be sky rocketing up many teams draft boards.

1st Take

I wrote this in another post a bout Mahomes. This guy is the best QB in the draft bar none. He will be a pro bowler down the line. He is the closest thing to Aaron Rogers and Brett Farve there is.

He makes un believable throws that are Acurate from weird angels and with bad foot work. This guy is the one you want. NFL is not like college. You don't always get a lot of clean pockets and you don't always get to set up and throw on balance or get your feet set. I want a QB that can throw on the run or throw when his feet are not correct and with people are in his face. This guy can do that in spades. Go watch him on YouTube you will see something extraordinary. Don't get fooled about the experts saying oh his foot work is bad, His back leg shakes, Blah, Blah, Blah. Watch Chargers Rivers, Watch GB Rogers these guys throw at all angels, throw with in correct foot work and throw on the move across there body all the time. Who the Fu@k cares how they throw it. Does he complete the passes yes he does. Yes you will be required to do that in The NFL. Good one's can pull it off. Well when I watch Mahomes that's what I see. So please just stop the nonsense. If we get this guy a great new Era in Bills football is about to begin.

2nd Take

Let me ask all the detractors of him, how many times does a NFL QB go back and set up and not have to move off his spot. Most times QBs end up having to move and throw off there back foot
or throw moving forward or rolling out. Playing QB in the NFL you don't have a lot of time. Go watch this kid play, watch him throw. He is doing amazing stuff. Making throws from all sorrts or bad angles of his back foot, flat footed and on the run. Most of them right on the mark. I could care less about his satistics or how many TDs he's thrown. He has started a ton of games. This guy is a leader and he has a very strong arm. He can do things most QB's can only dream about. He is Farve he is Rogers he has that gift. Keep wanting that perfect foot work and throwing motion guy. I will take this guy over that guy 10 ways to Sunday every day of the week. If we are lucky to get this guy I will be dancing in the street. I will take him with the first pick in the draft, he is that good.
3rd Take
Here is Patrick Mahomes playing against the great LSU Tigers Defense from the SEC in his Bowl Game. Just some unbelievable plays by Mahomes. These are the type of players he will be playing against in the NFL. Maybe he will have some offensive linemen to protect him. LSU is chasing him all over the field and the kid is just making plays like a Farve or Rogers would. This guy is special you can just see it, feel it and sense it. These might be his most interesting high lights because of the stud defense LSU has. This is fun to watch. It's like watching Farve in his prime

4th Take
You can't teach what Mahomes does and how he makes those throws in any of his games or in that LSU game against future NFL defenders. Only guys like Farve and Rogers and a hand full of other QB's can do that. I don't care what anyone says. I said it when the Bills passed on Russell Wilson and I say it right now.You pass on this guy your making a big mistake. I can't wait for the John Gruden QB camp thing with Mahomes. Just like the Russell Wilson one. Man you could just tell that he was going to be special. Here it is for those who missed Russell Wilson with John Gruden how do you not draft this guy after watching this
I will close By Saying this, Mahomes is the Guy I want but I like Watson a lot. Tyrod has to wait until his reciever is open before he throws it. Thats no way to play QB in the NFL. You have to throw it before they make there break and throw it over the middle, Time to move on for the Bills in my opinion.
Edited by billsareback

Sweet excuses, do better research. Tyrod held the ball way too long and the protection was more than sufficient. The WRs are pros your man just can't read the field.

Go read the trade Tyrod to Cleveland thread and see what folks are saying about sir can't pass a lot.

You're too emotion based. It's time to face facts. 25th of 32 in passing yards. Gross.

Research an opinionated article. If I did that I would post drivel that reach proportions only reached by you.

If you cant take emotion out and see that Harvin, Hunter, Powell, and Tate were on the street for a reason then I am sorry. Like I said can Tyrod improve yes. Is it all on him or even a majority of the losses on him? Not even close. Done trying to provide a rational thought to you, at this point you are trolling for no particular reason.

Yeah, I don't see that happening either. If you like him, get him at 10. Even though I have a funny feeling he is going to be sky rocketing up many teams draft boards.

I see him moving up the board and not sure he is there in the second...If we could find a trade partner, I wouldn't mind moving back to get some extra picks and still possibly land him.

Personally, I'm on the fence about taking him at 10. Don't follow college enough to tell whether or not he is really an upgrade over tyrod. Currently I'm leaning towards keeping Tyrod and drafting a QB in the 2nd/3rd and see if something better comes around next year.

His play kinda does something for me. Not his combine, though.

Research an opinionated article. If I did that I would post drivel that reach proportions only reached by you.

If you cant take emotion out and see that Harvin, Hunter, Powell, and Tate were on the street for a reason then I am sorry. Like I said can Tyrod improve yes. Is it all on him or even a majority of the losses on him? Not even close. Done trying to provide a rational thought to you, at this point you are trolling for no particular reason.

They were indeed on the street for a reason. The reason is they were NFL-good, but not as good as most starters except for Harvin, whose reason was injury.

But I watched the All-22 for five games. Guys were open on almost every single play. As open as if we'd had Sammy on the field? No. But open. And on a lot of plays, Tyrod wasn't seeing them.

You can't blame Tyrod for more than his share of the losses. But he gets most of the blame for the below average nature of the pass game this last year.

And Bill, you asked earlier what options he had. He had one of the best receiving TEs in football, a guy who was consistently open and yet rarely got the ball. Also, I personally was very impressed by Walt Powell. No, not a terrific player, but his cuts were really sudden and he was open a lot. I'm guessing he'll be on the roster again this year.

As for improvement, Tyrod's had six years in the league. The number of QBs in the NFL who haven't shown in six years that they can be a franchise QB who then still later go ahead and do .... can pretty much be counted on the index finger on Rich Gannon's left hand. It's probable that we've seen Tyrod's best. Significant improvement is still possible but really really unlikely.

Edited by Thurman#1

Exactly. This dude can complete passes he shouldn't make he's so special.

Also, there are at least 5 QBs in this draft that I think would be instantly better than Tyrod.

He makes those passes at the next level and they're getting picked off, not completed

I disagree with any of the QBs in this draft being INSTANTLY better than TT. They could develop into better passers than he is, but half of those kids got plays fed to them from the sidelines and can't read a defense, they will need time to learn.