Patriots offered 1st for Cooks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is simply smart by Bill. There is no way they'd get a player the caliber of Cooks with that pick. Straight up it still would've been good in my eyes. I hope this doesn't happen...

When lord, when's gon be our time?

Absolutely. A young, improving WR who is already in the top 15 at his position with the #32 pick?? That'd be a gift for NE.

People badly overvalue draft picks.

Absolutely. A young, improving WR who is already in the top 15 at his position with the #32 pick?? That'd be a gift for NE.

People badly overvalue draft picks.

You're right about those picks. For example I believe Cordarrelle Patterson went 29th in the first round and he may end up being a WR we pursue when Woods walks.

When you have a franchise QB, you can do things like this. The pats have proven, QB and System >>>>>>>> Than anything else. Maybe in the next 100 years the Bills will figure this out.

Also worth remembering that the system - maximizing draft picks by tailoring FA moves to getting as many supplementary picks as possible and trading back often for more picks - is what got the QB in the first place.

Brady was a supplemental pick.

The Saints probably run a complex system as well. As someone else mentioned, Belichick is terrible at drafting WRs. But these are moves you can make when you have Brady, you can fail repeatedly with draft picks and trades but it doesn't matter.

Everybody fails repeatedly with draft picks. Belichick no more often than anyone else. But they constantly accumulate picks so they have more and raise their odds of getting somebody good.

And Belchick isn't especially bad at drafting WRs. He just doesn't use high picks on them. Not a single first-round WR in the Belichick era.

4th Malcolm Mitchell

7th Jeremy Gallon

2nd (59) Aaron Dobson

4th Josh Boyce

7th Jeremy Ebert

3rd (90) Taylor Price

3rd (83)Brandon Tate

7th Julian Edelman

5th Matt Slater

2nd (36th) Chad Jackson

5th P.K. Sam

3rd (45)Bethel Johnson

2nd (65) Deion Branch

7th David Givens

That's all he's drafted in his entire 17 years of drafting. Three 2nds, three 3rds, two 4ths, two 5ths, and four 7ths, and he's gotten David Givens and Edelman out of that. Not great, but not bad either.

Belichick must really like Cooks. They don't often trade high picks, even if they're getting back a lower-level pick or two as they were asking in this Cooks deal.

Edited by Thurman#1

Don't know why more teams don't do this for a known stud player...

probably salary cap ramifications of having to pay a guy in a year or 2 instead of 4 or 5, but still...you are getting a known quantity versus an unknown...

Also worth remembering that the system - maximizing draft picks by tailoring FA moves to getting as many supplementary picks as possible and trading back often for more picks - is what got the QB in the first place.

Everybody fails repeatedly with draft picks. Belichick no more often than anyone else. But they constantly accumulate picks so they have more and raise their odds of getting somebody good.

And Belchick isn't especially bad at drafting WRs. He just doesn't use high picks on them. Not a single first-round WR in the Belichick era.

4th Malcolm Mitchell

7th Jeremy Gallon

2nd (59) Aaron Dobson

4th Josh Boyce

7th Jeremy Ebert

3rd (90) Taylor Price

3rd (83)Brandon Tate

7th Julian Edelman

5th Matt Slater

2nd (36th) Chad Jackson

5th P.K. Sam

3rd (45)Bethel Johnson

2nd (65) Deion Branch

7th David Givens

That's all he's drafted in his entire 17 years of drafting. Three 2nds, three 3rds, two 4ths, two 5ths, and four 7ths, and he's gotten David Givens and Edelman out of that. Not great, but not bad either.

Belichick must really like Cooks. They don't often trade high picks, even if they're getting back a lower-level pick or two as they were asking in this Cooks deal.

Basically it shows draft whoever and put them with Tom Brady and he will make something out of them.

Edited by matter2003

Ooo thought a QB that can throw was needed for that. My bad

to be fair, cooks is probably the type of player that TT could utilize better than someone like clay. as frustrating as that is to type in our current situation.

+1 for NO.

Personally I think the rest of the NFL needs to take notes. You don't trade with NE. Let them sit on the players they have. Eventually they will have to start to cut players and thats when you can pick up their castoffs.

I honestly don't see Hogan sticking around in NE, but I can see Woods being a long time target there. He really fits their system. Great blocker, good hands, runs crisp routes and has elusive speed and YAC ability.

Chris Hogan isn't enough?

Hogan is horrible. I could never understand why so many fans loved him. He has 50/50 hands, isn't a very good route runner, doen't really have YAC ability. I was so happy he left Buffalo I considered having a party.

It was said that the trade included pick 32. It was probably like the Patriots first round for the Saints second/third rounder and Cooks.

I doubt the pats offered their first straight up for Cooks.

If Cooks was a mid 1st round pick and he has out played expectations why would he not be worth a first round pick? The upcoming contract commitment in TWO years is the only potential con.

Patriots should do a move to bring an NFL WR in. Their history in BB drafting WRs has been Blah.

Agreed

If Cooks was a mid 1st round pick and he has out played expectations why would he not be worth a first round pick? The upcoming contract commitment in TWO years is the only potential con.

Agreed

One of the benefits of a first round pick is not only the player, but the 5 year option contract. Teams are reluctant to give up a first rounded and have to pay the guy relatively quickly.

It is not a way to build a winning roster.

+1 for NO.

Personally I think the rest of the NFL needs to take notes. You don't trade with NE. Let them sit on the players they have. Eventually they will have to start to cut players and thats when you can pick up their castoffs.

I honestly don't see Hogan sticking around in NE, but I can see Woods being a long time target there. He really fits their system. Great blocker, good hands, runs crisp routes and has elusive speed and YAC ability.

Hogan is horrible. I could never understand why so many fans loved him. He has 50/50 hands, isn't a very good route runner, doen't really have YAC ability. I was so happy he left Buffalo I considered having a party.

I was being sarcastic. When he had his good playoff game, people were on here acting like we let Jerry Rice go.

They are playing chess while the rest of the idiot teams are playing checkers.

oh please. stop riding their jocks for crying out loud

they lucked into the best passer in the history of the game. thats its. that one stroke of undeserved luck gives them the enormous advantage of stability by keeping everything together year after year. thats it

they were a ѕhit organization before she arrived and they will go back to being a ѕhit organization when she retires

stop giving them magical abilities they dont deserve

I was just reading that AP is willing to take a pay cut to " get a ring " with them...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/report-adrian-peterson-would-consider-discount-to-sign-with-patriots/

It's a never ending nightmare.....

yes. another huge advantage of falling into the pure luck acquisition of the best passer ever

none of this happens when she retires. they have no magic formula. bills record when she doesnt play is sub-.500. genius my ass. lucky surly cheating dick is what he is

4th Malcolm Mitchell

7th Jeremy Gallon

2nd (59) Aaron Dobson

4th Josh Boyce

7th Jeremy Ebert

3rd (90) Taylor Price

3rd (83)Brandon Tate

7th Julian Edelman

5th Matt Slater

2nd (36th) Chad Jackson

5th P.K. Sam

3rd (45)Bethel Johnson

2nd (65) Deion Branch

7th David Givens

Deion Branch was a fabulous player for them. ALso, Slater is one of the best ST players of this century.

oh please. stop riding their jocks for crying out loud

they lucked into the best passer in the history of the game. thats its. that one stroke of undeserved luck gives them the enormous advantage of stability by keeping everything together year after year. thats it

they were a ѕhit organization before she arrived and they will go back to being a ѕhit organization when she retires

stop giving them magical abilities they dont deserve

yes. another huge advantage of falling into the pure luck acquisition of the best passer ever

none of this happens when she retires. they have no magic formula. bills record when she doesnt play is sub-.500. genius my ass. lucky surly cheating dick is what he is

I give Belichick more credit than you do....IMO, he is bar none the best coach in the league and one of the best ever....he was the defensive master mind behind Parcells Giants, brought Cleveland to the playoff....Cleveland !! ....and has now dominated the NFL for 16 years....Brady helps of course, but BB is in a class of his own....

The New England Patriots are considering trading Malcolm Butler to the New Orleans Saints for Brandin Cooks per sources

SpotracVerified account @spotrac 21m21 minutes ago

Trading Malcolm Butler leaves no dead cap to the #Patriots. He would bring a $3.91M tender & a $13M+ market value to the #Saints.