Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

AP writer John Wawrow disputed a lot of the stuff LaCanfora wrote. I believe he said the "split" isn't as severe as some perceive it to be. The coaches are good and ready to roll with Taylor. The front office is leaving all options open until the final minute, if nothing comes up then I think they pick up the option and move forward.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this draft class is far better than many think. I think Mahomes, as Waldman said, has an upside as high as any QB in the last few years. Trubisky has a bit of the Matt Ryan traits and I assume Shanahan will pounce.

Chad Kelly is knuckle head but worth a 6th round flyer. Davis Webb would be interesting late as well.

This is not 2013.

An Air Raid QB has never been successful in the NFL. For that reason I have no interest in Mahomes or Webb. Each of these guys is a 2-3 year project at the bare minimum and history says neither guy is going to work out as a Franchise QB.

I like Trubisky, but only if you commit to a red shirt season and he never sees the field. His lack of experience worries me a lot. Why couldn't he win the job the year before?

Edited by jrober38

AP writer John Wawrow disputed a lot of the stuff LaCanfora wrote. I believe he said the "split" isn't as severe as some perceive it to be. The coaches are good and ready to roll with Taylor. The front office is leaving all options open until the final minute, if nothing comes up then I think they pick up the option and move forward.

Wawrow did refute, but if you read what he wrote I think that it confirms what was written. Wawrow reported no decision yet on TT, where LaCanfora wrote McD comfortable with TT and Whaley and Brandon are not. Wawrow says chasm report over blown LaCanfora says is pretty big.

This seems like the same thing just different degrees.

Yup.

And only like 15 NFL caliber players under contract.

I don't like any of the QBs in this draft. For that reason I don't see the point in throwing away a pick on a QB when there are so many other quality players available who can become legit building blocks for this franchise for the next 5+ years.

I'd love to see the Bills cut Taylor, cut McCoy, cut Kyle and trade Watkins. Commit to being one of the 2-3 worse teams in the NFL next year while clearing a boat load of cap space, and then go all in on a legit blue chip QB prospect next year. If there isn't one available, commit to being really bad yet again and draft a guy in 2019.

Get a skill position player this year and find your QB next year or the year after. Don't repeat all the same mistakes we made in 2013 when we talked ourselves into picking EJ because we were so desperate for a QB.

why stop there, I think they should tank every year henceforth, only then can they fulfill their true promise

An Air Raid QB has never been successful in the NFL. For that reason I have no interest in Mahomes or Webb. Each of these guys is a 2-3 year project at the bare minimum and history says neither guy is going to work out as a Franchise QB.

I like Trubisky, but only if you commit to a red shirt season and he never sees the field. His lack of experience worries me a lot. Why couldn't he win the job the year before?

Good, at least you like SOMEONE in this draft. That's all I wanted. My work here is done.

And on Air Raid, a Tedford system QB had always busted BADLY. That's why Aaron Rodgers didn't go top 5. Thinking like that. Scout the traits.

Edited by jeffismagic

I'm surprised that so many posters think Tyrod has hit his ceiling after just 2 years of starting. Rarely do QBs reach their peak after such little game experience. For example.. in their first 2 seasons starting:

Tyrod:

62.6% cmp

6,058 yds

7.42 ypa

37 TD

12 INT

Brady:

62.8% cmp

6,607 yds

6.52 ypa

46 TD

26 INT

And that doesn't capture the +1,000 rushing yards and +9 TDs on the ground for Tyrod.

Obviously Tyrod isn't Brady.. but he can get better, can't he? He's already starting from the point of being a respected leader and a hard worker who protects the ball and gives you a chance to win every game. If the defense improves or if Tyrod improves, this team could be in the playoffs as soon as next year.

Yep, lots of QBs need a few years to hit their peak. Matt Ryan, for example, just had - by far - the best season of his career.

While I see the same flaws in TT that others see, I also advocate keeping him. The sad truth is that franchise QBs are hard to find. We haven't had one since Jim Kelly. If we ditch Tyrod, we may wait 5, 10, 20 years more for a franchise QB.

I think we keep TT until someone beats him out. I think the rule of thumb is: play the best players you can sign.

As flawed as TT is, even finding someone that good can be hard. Let's count our blessings but at the same time draft QBs with greater frequency than we have in the past.

You build a winning culture by winning. Right now, TT gives us the best chance.

Link?

The Chargers roster might be better than the Bills right now and they won 5 games with Rivers at the helm. I seriously doubt the Bills would have been 3 wins better if you replaced Tyrod with Rivers last year.

I'd prefer the Bills roster.......but a lot of that is the All Pro potential of Sammy Watkins and Marcel Dareus.........who both had lost seasons.......so yeah, they were pretty close to the same last year and Tyrod won MORE than the still-in-prime HOF'er Rivers.

What Taylor did statistically as a passer was not impressive..........but where gunslingers like Rivers and Brees will lose games for a mediocre team.......Taylor will not.

He also doesn't take touches away from your run game because he doesn't need to throw the ball 650 times per year like Brees.

I know we are far removed from winning, but back when we had Jim Kelly and in years soon after.......how often was the criticism about passing the ball TOO much?

Balance is still good if you can have it and if you can run the ball more and still score at a high rate that is STILL PREFERABLE.

To me......Taylor is a very good fit for a team that is still trying to establish an identity.

Ideally Taylor plays the Kordell Stewart/Tommy Maddox role and then when that Big Ben type prospect comes around you can plug him in and get Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott type rookie QB results rather than play the guessing game with a Blake Bortles or Josh Freeman......or suffering thru a 7 year wait for a #1 overall pick like Matt Stafford to mature into a good QB while having nobody but yourselves to blame because you put him in an environment where it was hard to grow/evaluate him.

I'm all about QB play but as I said......there are ONLY 2 QB's in the NFL that have proven they can transcend their rosters and win games.......ARodgers and Brady.......the rest need a lot of help but the QB's on the other side of the fence are ALWAYS exactly 10X as good as your mid-level one......it's a given. 10X everytime. :thumbsup:

I'd prefer the Bills roster.......but a lot of that is the All Pro potential of Sammy Watkins and Marcel Dareus.........who both had lost seasons.......so yeah, they were pretty close to the same last year and Tyrod won MORE than the still-in-prime HOF'er Rivers.

What Taylor did statistically as a passer was not impressive..........but where gunslingers like Rivers and Brees will lose games for a mediocre team.......Taylor will not.

He also doesn't take touches away from your run game because he doesn't need to throw the ball 650 times per year like Brees.

I know we are far removed from winning, but back when we had Jim Kelly and in years soon after.......how often was the criticism about passing the ball TOO much?

Balance is still good if you can have it and if you can run the ball more and still score at a high rate that is STILL PREFERABLE.

To me......Taylor is a very good fit for a team that is still trying to establish an identity.

Ideally Taylor plays the Kordell Stewart/Tommy Maddox role and then when that Big Ben type prospect comes around you can plug him in and get Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott type rookie QB results rather than play the guessing game with a Blake Bortles or Josh Freeman......or suffering thru a 7 year wait for a #1 overall pick like Matt Stafford to mature into a good QB while having nobody but yourselves to blame because you put him in an environment where it was hard to grow/evaluate him.

I'm all about QB play but as I said......there are ONLY 2 QB's in the NFL that have proven they can transcend their rosters and win games.......ARodgers and Brady.......the rest need a lot of help but the QB's on the other side of the fence are ALWAYS exactly 10X as good as your mid-level one......it's a given. 10X everytime. :thumbsup:

Oddly enough, I'd add Luck. He presides over a team that is a hard 2-14 with a generic qb.

Wawrow did refute, but if you read what he wrote I think that it confirms what was written. Wawrow reported no decision yet on TT, where LaCanfora wrote McD comfortable with TT and Whaley and Brandon are not. Wawrow says chasm report over blown LaCanfora says is pretty big.

This seems like the same thing just different degrees.

Different degrees indeed. Disagreement in any organization doesn't mean chasm. It's a good thing at times and there are many practical aspects to discuss in the TT situation. LaConjecture's only aim was to sensationalize the situation because that kind of shoddy journalism best suits his predetermined narrative, especially in light of his previous wrong guesses. In athletic terms, LaConjecture is "pressing."

If the Bills pay Tyrod 30-40 million he is not just hanging out. He is the guy for two years and they need to design a running offense around him. Tyrod is not anywhere near other QB not named Brady and Rodgers. I don't get why you keep saying that. Bills won by restricting passes Tyrod threw. Other team QB's have to carry their teams.

Tyrod cannot make every NFL throw and can't win by passing the ball. You have to design a run-heavy gimmick offense to keep defenses honest and it can work. I see the Tyrod led defense as the Miami Dolphins with their wild cat they ran. It is hard to stop for NFL teams because they don't see it but it's not how you build a winning team. It's a tactic, not a long term strategy that you pay 30-40 million for.

Is Tyrod going to grow so he can see over the middle? If not, then he will not improve much. Sorry.

you are right because brees, flutie, and the host of other 6'1 qbs grew.

This is nonsense. Brees or Rivers would eat defenses alive with our run game.

They actually know how to play the position.

your right yet there teams still didnt win because qb winz arent a stat.

If they can get something for Tyrod, go for it. However, you better have identified your guy and gother get him. A lot of QB needy teams drafting ahead of us.

I agree....if the brass and coaching staff feel they can get something for him the benefits the team than go for it...but they better have a plan in place to replace him.

Oddly enough, I'd add Luck. He presides over a team that is a hard 2-14 with a generic qb.

He did that early in his career but the last couple years he's actually cost them some games with inexplicably bad throws/decisions.

I think it underscores the damage of the weight that gets heaped on a young QB having to carry a team with poor talent.

When ARodgers took over the Packers they had already gone thru a down cycle......remember Jauron's Bills beating Favre's young Pack team in Buffalo?........and their talent was very good and ascending.

Their roster declined but he was better equipped to deal with it by then.

The coaches are good and ready to roll with Taylor. The front office is leaving all options open until the final minute, if nothing comes up then I think they pick up the option and move forward.

This is what I'm guessing too, and it makes sense with everything that has come out. Tyrod reportedly is looking for real estate in Buffalo and his financial advisor's notorious tweet lines up with that. I think the Bills are making 100% sure they can't get Romo, and if they can't they will pick up Tyrod's option. They probably told him exactly what their plan was which is why he's been looking into local properties. It also explains why there was a long delay in making a decision on the option, they are waiting to see what happens with Romo.

Basically I expect them to pick up the option unless something like Romo happens, otherwise why make the QB wait forever for a decision? Tyrod has probably been talked to already and OBD is keeping everything tightly under wraps, as they should.

Edited by HappyDays

That's a well stated explanation of your view. Too bad you're wrong! No, seriously kidding. Even Tom Cement Foot Brady doesn't check every box. And he's the best ever, in my book. Tyrod may be "middling", and maybe he still has room for growth. My main point is you don't ditch him until you have a better option. I'm not married to the guy, but don't cut him loose too soon. Find a better option before you move on. Those "excuses" for his performance are also reasons. But I totally get he needs to see the whole field and hit the right guy in stride. But with a good D and healthy WR's we should be able to see the playoffs with a middling QB.

Which box doesn't Brady check? Let me guess, he's not a mobile running threat at the position? C'mon.

Yes, we can possibly see the playoffs with a middling QB, but only if every other phase is playoff caliber, imo. TT or no TT, this roster is more than mediocre QB play away, especially on the D side. Mediocre QBs just aren't equipped to play catchup.