No Franchise Tag for Gilmore

YoloinOhio

I don't think we disagree, but Peters reported out of shape and then got hurt (if I recall), which only fueled the fans' fire and made him look bad. I do believe if he had done the right thing by reporting as an in-shape, motivated player Buffalo would have paid him accordingly. But, like you, I never begrudge a player for trying to get paid.

These are good points, although JP did play reasonably well overall that season despite a shaky start. He wasn't as dominant as the year before, but he was still good. By the end of the 2008 season, he was the best performer on the line. There's a reason that the Eagles unloaded the Brinks truck for him shortly thereafter!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's gone.

Some team will pay him what he's looking for and fans will bash him about how much he was overpaid, but everyone gets overpaid nowadays.

I don't remember fans bitching when we overpaid for Mario Williams.... it's only when a player leaves.

Personally, I won't B word. Gilmore is a top 10 corner but the situation the Bills are in, it's hard to pay him what he deserves to get paid. You can only make so many players on a team one of the highest at their position.

Silver-lining, this draft is looking pretty good at the CB position.

Personally, I won't B word. Gilmore is a top 10 corner but the situation the Bills are in, it's hard to pay him what he deserves to get paid. You can only make so many players on a team one of the highest at their position.

Silver-lining, this draft is looking pretty good at the CB position.

The problem is that the Bills have a lot of needs and only six picks (and three in rounds 5 and 6). They have to draft a QB, they desperately need a WR, and they desperately need a safety. RT is a huge need too. Now add CB.

The problem is that the Bills have a lot of needs and only six picks (and three in rounds 5 and 6). They have to draft a QB, they desperately need a WR, and they desperately need a safety. RT is a huge need too. Now add CB.

The good news is that this is a loaded draft, much better than last year.

The bad news is that Doug Whaley is making the picks. Hopefully he doesn't trade up and instead trades back. This is a draft you want all the picks you can.

This is why a cap casualty like Verner fits the bill; he adds a vet presence, can compete with Seymour for reps on the boundary, won't cost a ton, and doesn't work against the potential windfall of compensatory picks the team could be looking at next offseason (figure a 3rd for Gilmore, a 5th for Woods, plus other possibles like Zach and/or LorAx)

As Bandito pointed out, free agency as wel. It doesn't have to all come from the draft.

I guarantee when he signs elsewhere fans will kill him... well they already are now but when he gets a big contract fans will scream, "that much for Stephon Gilmore?!?!"

When in reality he will get something close to what his play has dictated.... fans just need that defense mechanism to have hope that they'll be ok without him next year and convince themselves he wasn't that good.... when he is one of the better corners of the league.

No doubt, certain fans don't understand good CB play. They think a great CB never allows a completion.

The problem is Whaley is on record as saying he's trying to build the team around the leaguewide QB - WR - LT - Pass Rusher - Corner model, which is fine, but if that's the way you are doing it you can't drop $12 mil on 2 safeties who can't play 16 games between them, or $9 mil on a running back, or $9 mil on a TE who isn't a real TE.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

This is why a cap casualty like Verner fits the bill; he adds a vet presence, can compete with Seymour for reps on the boundary, won't cost a ton, and doesn't work against the potential windfall of compensatory picks the team could be looking at next offseason (figure a 3rd for Gilmore, a 5th for Woods, plus other possibles like Zach and/or LorAx)

If you could get Bouye at 10-11 per would you do it? Something like 5 years 52 million..20 guaranteed? Then spend the savings on Zach B.

Potential to be an upgrade over Gilmore, if not he would at worst be a solid 1 and more money for Zach B.

He's gone.

Some team will pay him what he's looking for and fans will bash him about how much he was overpaid, but everyone gets overpaid nowadays.

I don't remember fans bitching when we overpaid for Mario Williams.... it's only when a player leaves.

There are people who post every day on this forum who B word relentlessly about Shady's contract.

I would rather pay a guy that wants be here and puts in maximum effort than a player that is supposedly talented and gives up or gets injured due to technique. Dont forget, teams didn't have to pass due to the horrid run defense. On that note, I seem to remember Gilmore getting destroyed when defending the run. Are you telling me you would take Gilmore over Sherman? You can certainly cherry pick stats and make them comparable. Gilmore is not an elite CB. Plain and simple.

I think people come up with scenarios to fit their narrative, and they don't need to be based on fact. How do you know Gilmore doesn't want to be here(not that I would blame him for wanting to leave), you really think he doesn't try hard, that all his success comes despite trying? Many say his injury was based on tackling technique- does anyone know this as fact? Or again, it just fits the narrative those want to make to put him down.

I don't think he's worth the $15million he may be asking for, I think he is worth a lot and I think we will miss him not being here next season as I don't think they'll sign him.

IMO he is a good player...unfortunately we just don't have the cap room to sign him for what her wants.

Sums it up right there.

Good.

Does it concern you that we don't have a proven replacement?

Always good to lose very good players that you drafted.

Everybody likes to see that.

made my opinion on gilmore known on the thread.. thats all .. no need to get prickly..

I think people come up with scenarios to fit their narrative, and they don't need to be based on fact. How do you know Gilmore doesn't want to be here(not that I would blame him for wanting to leave), you really think he doesn't try hard, that all his success comes despite trying? Many say his injury was based on tackling technique- does anyone know this as fact? Or again, it just fits the narrative those want to make to put him down.

I don't think he's worth the $15million he may be asking for, I think he is worth a lot and I think we will miss him not being here next season as I don't think they'll sign him.

Sums it up right there.

Does it concern you that we don't have a proven replacement?

who said we dont.. seymour.. the draft.. free agency.. NO concerns

Edited by dwight in philly

made my opinion on gilmore known on the thread.. thats all .. no need to get prickly..

who said we dont.. seymour.. the draft.. free agency.. NO concerns

Seymour isn't a proven replacement, and obviously the draft and FA haven't begun, so no proven replacements there yet. I said we don't have a proven replacement, we don't. I'll add a quality replacement to the description if that helps.