Should the Bills cut Kyle Williams to clear cap space?

YoloinOhio

Should the Bills cut Kyle Williams to save cap space?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of making Kyle a cap casualty?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm too busy worrying about the QB situation, ask me on March 12

I respectfully disagree. If a sweetheart deal was made with Dallas and he was given a chance to finish his career on a playoff team I think that he would initially have ambivalent feelings but would embrace playing on a team that plays meaningful games at the end of the season followed by playoff games, something he hasn't ever experienced.

He is a terrific person and player. He has had a very distinguished career. Someone like him doesn't deserve to finish his career on a team whose outcome for the season is predictable. This southerner deserves better than what this northern franchise is capable of giving him. He should be set free and have the opportunity to experience playing in post season games.

We will see. I think he'd retire.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle is 34 and in the last year of his contract. He has played well and it goes without saying he's at or near the top of the list of most Bills fans favorite players. The Bills could save 8.3 million the cap by cutting him. Yet, I don't think its a Fred Jackson situation. Kyle may have been the best player on the defense last year. The cap number looms large, however, as we approach FA with more than a few holes and new systems on both sides of the ball to accomodate. I am torn. I want him to just restructure or take a pay cut, but not sure how realistic that is.

Isn't he on the fence for retiring anyways? My guess is if we even approached him about a pay cut/restructure he would just retire. He also probably doesn't want to extend his contract at this point until he decides he wants to play past next year.

wait, cutting freddie proved to be a mistake? in what alternate universe, bc what i saw was a freddie that barely made the field last year and wouldnt have been much help here either as a player or leader. if roster spots grew on trees, sure he mighta held the team together a little more, but these guys didnt gel under rexy, i dont think even freddie magic makes that happen

love me some freddie. but he didnt belong on this team at any time last year. just not enough contribution to spend on that roster spot

Extend him on a three year contract. Lower cap hit. He was second best defender last year after Zach just ahead of Lorax and Gilmore. If they were going to cut him it would have been last off season coming off injury and not knowing if he could play well again. Whaley made the right call then as he did with Fred Jackson. Whaley will keep and probably extend KW.

Isn't he on the fence for retiring anyways? My guess is if we even approached him about a pay cut/restructure he would just retire. He also probably doesn't want to extend his contract at this point until he decides he wants to play past next year.

He said he wants to return... but it may play out like you say if he's thinking only one year and they want to try to spread out the cap hit. I did see Miami extended Cam Wake and he's even older. Similar situation.

He said he wants to return... but it may play out like you say if he's thinking only one year and they want to try to spread out the cap hit. I did see Miami extended Cam Wake and he's even older. Similar situation.

They could still restructure in a way that he gets that money though. Extend him an extra year, small salary each year big signing bonus - that way he still gets all the cash this year but you can spread the bonus out against the cap.

If we extend him, don't we lower his hit?

Cutting Freddy proved to be a mistake and he was on his last legs. Cutting a leader who is still playing at a high level would be crazy.

He may be the best influence on Dareus in that locker room. Cutting Kyle would lose us Dareus, potentially.

This.

Love me some Kyle, but I voted yes. We are not making the playoffs and are kinda rebuilding. He's 34 and had health issues last year. Plus, if we let him go, he could potentially sign with a team that has a real shot at making the playoffs. He's never been and won't with us. If there is one guy I want to see in a playoff game, it's Kyle. So, letting him go helps the team with cap room and he can sign with a real contender.

Tough one all around for me. I've been giving this a fair amount of thought recently and I'm pretty sure I'd hate it but I could learn to live with it.

The plus points - for a team that's pretty cash-strapped if they keep Tyrod, $6.8m is a lot of money to free up. If this is a rebuild, a 34 year old dude on his last legs probably isn't going to be the difference maker in the long term. It would give the team the best chance at getting some value out of Adolphus Washington. He also has a $500k roster bonus due in mid-March, decision has to be taken quickly (akin to ripping off the plaster nice and early, let people accept it).

The down sides - Kyle is the heart and soul of the team, his veteran leadership could be vital in the early stages of what it seems Sean McDermott wants to instill in his charges. He's still a capable player in his twilight years. We don't really have anyone capable of replacing him as a full-time starter just yet so we would need to acquire one early in the draft or a mid-tier FA to at least rotate with Washington.

I see the logic if they do it but, if you follow me on Twitter, I'm going to apologise in advance for my language on the day that happens.

Edited by Blokestradamus

The Bills should do the honorable thing by either trading him for next to nothing to a playoff team such as Dallas or allow him to go to a playoff ready team he prefers to go to. Although KW has had an illustrious career he never has played in a playoff game. That is a sad commentary on this ramshackle organization. Kyle should be unshackled and allowed to have a chance to experience a playoff game or more. It's not going to happen here. That' a shame. It's a disgrace and an embarrassment.

THIS for sure.

KW is not going to impact MD conduct off the field

NO NO NO!!! I did some research on this a few weeks back when another thread said to nuke Kyle. Look at his contract in comparison to the other DT's in the league. He's cheap in comparison to his production. He's out producing guys making more, and the guys making less at his level of production are on rookie deals. I know it's popular to look at veterans for salary cap reductions, but look elsewhere. How about that fat POS next to Kyle that can't hold Kyle's jockstrap?

We may not win this year, but I for one don't believe we should cut our good players so we can take a flyer in free agency. Very few free agents work out as intended and in Buffalo's case we have to pay more just to get them to consider us. I say keep building through the draft, keep our best players and carefully restructure to avoid dead money down the road. While the jury is still out on Whalley, the right coach can make a difference. We're not that bad and the head coach really cost us down the stretch, so let's see if McDermott can fix the defense to make the playoffs a possibility.

I'm seeing too much pessimism on the Board. Free agency is full of possibilities (we did pretty well last year) and the draft is around the corner.