Gunner's FINAL Mock 2017 - v.3.0 now posted (see page 4)!

GunnerBill

Great mock draft. I would love a safety at 10. I know it's not "sexy" but with the league seeing more teams throwing the short intermediate passes, safety is more important now especially if you have suspect LB's. A. Williams and C. Graham are not viable options anymore. Once the first QB comes off the board you will see QB needy teams start to panic and make trades to move ahead of other QB needy teams. I think we should hope 2 or more of the top 4 QB's are still available and capitalize on it. We have a lot of holes to fill and not many draft picks.

Edited by Don't stop billievein

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Chicago doesn't take him (which if course they might) I don't see where he goes. I think there are equal or better players at positions of need elsewhere.

I only actually have Allen as the 7th best player on my board I know some people have him as the 2nd best player in the draft.

Yea, I am always a bit leery of the Alabama guys. They all play on a veritable all star team on both sides of the ball. Once they are at the next level some don't seem to shine.

The reports in NY are that Hackenberg was awful in practice and that it's quite possible that the Jets see the pick as a failure already and are ready to move on.

Those are not what is officially coming from the team. The official statement has been Hackenberg is great. So great that playing him would be a sin. There were leaks (rumored to be from the former QB coach) that Hackenberg couldn't hit the ocean. Those leaks gave rise to the team officially doubling down on Hackenberg despite that the leaks and some player statements make it seem like he is pretty bad.

Well...you took my first round guy off the board right before we pick (Corey Davis WR) so I hate your draft...:)

I say enough of allocating 1st round picks to defense we have been doing it for how long?......

I feel that TT should be restructured and kept and a 2nd round qb drafted....if we are going to do that can we please upgrade our passing core from street free agents past often hurt Sammy Watkins?

Those are not what is officially coming from the team. The official statement has been Hackenberg is great. So great that playing him would be a sin. There were leaks (rumored to be from the former QB coach) that Hackenberg couldn't hit the ocean. Those leaks gave rise to the team officially doubling down on Hackenberg despite that the leaks and some player statements make it seem like he is pretty bad.

Not many organizations are going to publicly admit that they made a glaring mistake with their second round qb selection. The leaks were coming out at a open fire hydrant rate from multi-sources within the organization (including players and coaches) that he was hideously inaccurate.

The Bills also went through the same reluctance to admit publicly that their first round qb selection, EJ, was also a big mistake. It was tough to hide when the former HC, Marrone, was vocally leading the pack to get him an alternative qb because with EJ taking the snaps he felt it was a hopeless situation.

• 1 month later...

Okay folks... here is version 2.0 had a go at a few likely trade scenarios this time as well. The third and final version will come in the final 24 hours pre-draft. Comments and criticisms always appreciated!

1 Browns - Myles Garrett, Defensive End, Texas A&M

PICK UNCHANGED - Browns need to start adding elite talent rather than just collecting picks. They start with Garrett.

2 49ers - Jamal Adams, Safety, LSU

Soloman Thomas is being mocked to this pick a lot, but I am just not sure he is a natural fit in the scheme the 9ers want to run. John Lynch was, once upon a time, a tone setting safety that started to turn around a moribund defense. He then took his leadership and style to Shanahan Snr’s Denver Broncos. The 49ers secondary is desperate…. Maybe Lynch and Shanahan Jnr think a tone setter would help? Adams would immediately become a leader on that team.

Pick change - previously Mitch Trubisky, QB

3 Bears - DeShaun Watson, Quarterback, Clemson

PICK UNCHANGED - Ignore the Mike Glennon deal. That is a essentially a one year bridge contract. The Bears have to take a shot at a Quarterback.

4 TRADE! - Chargers - Malik Hooker, Safety, Ohio State (Chargers get #4; Jaguars get #7, #71 and a 2018 2nd round pick)

PICK UNCHANGED (but previously made at #7) - The Chargers have a desperate need for playmakers in the secondary and once Jamal Adams is off the board the chances of one of the top 3 defensive backs making it to #7 looks slim. So rather than wait they decide to jump the Titans and Jets and select Malik Hooker who will add a ball hawk to their defensive backfield.

5 Titans - Mike Williams, Wide Receiver, Clemson

PICK UNCHANGED - I still think a #1 receiver for Marcus Mariota has to be targeted with one of Tennessee’s 2 first round picks. Given both safeties are gone they could spend it here on Williams.

6 Jets - Marshon Lattimore Cornerback Ohio State

PICK UNCHANGED - Unless the Jets really do love Trubisky they will take about 5 seconds to make this decision, because Lattimore is the BPA and a major, major need for this football team with Revis having gone.

7 (From Chargers) Jaguars - Leonard Fournette, Running Back, LSU

What you know about Tom Coughlin and Doug Marrone is they are going to want to build a tough, hard nosed football team. Coughlin likes big, strong north and south runners and they have already added Brandon Albert to upgrade a shaky offensive line. Build the running game and try to take pressure off Blake Bortles is the order of the day.

Pick change - previously Reuben Foster, Linebacker

8 Panthers - Soloman Thomas, Defensive End, Stanford

I still have the Panthers going pass rusher but the more I look at Thomas the more I think he is a perfect scheme fit in Carolina. He had an outstanding combine and I think there is no way now that he slides out of the top 10.

Pick change - previously Derek Barnett, Defensive End

9 Bengals - Jonathan Allen, Defensive Tackle, Alabama

Previously I had the Bengals taking a receiver at #9 and I still think that is a major need for them. However, they let Domata Peko walk in free agency and Michael Johnson was a non factor at defensive end after returning from an unsuccessful stint in Tampa so defensive line might be a more pressing need. I see Jonathan Allen more as an inside guy in a 4-3 like the one that Cincinnati runs but he would upgrade either spot.

Pick change - previously Corey Davis, Wide Receiver

10 Bills - Reuben Foster, Linebacker, Alabama

The Bills could go any of a number of ways at this spot, including Quarterback, and might well try and trade down. However, Sean McDermott’s Carolina defense was renowned for great linebackers and linebacker is a weak spot on this Buffalo roster.

Pick change - previously Jamal Adams, Safety

11 Saints - Marlon Humphrey, Cornerback, Alabama

Poor old Sidney Jones pro-day injury drops him down the draft but it doesn’t lessen the Saints’ need for a corner. Marlon Humphrey is a top 15 player on my board and a nice fit here.

Pick change - previously Sidney Jones, Cornerback

12 Browns - Mitch Trubisky, Quarterback, University of North Carolina

I really believe that the Browns will target a Quarterback with this pick. I think Trubisky is the best fit and is likely their selection if available, if he isn’t all bets are off.

Pick change - previously DeShone Kizer, Quarterback

13 Cardinals - Corey Davis, Wide Receiver, Western Michigan

A year ago mocking a wide receiver to the Cardinals in the first round would have appeared crazy, but with Larry Fitz possibly entering his final season, Michael Floyd gone and John Brown stagnating I can imagine putting weapons around Carson Palmer for one last run being a priority.

Pick change - previously Jonathan Allen, Defensive Tackle

14 Colts - Hassan Reddick, Linebacker, Temple

The Colts could go offense here and select OJ Howard having lost both Coby Fleener and now Dwayne Allen over the past two offseasons. However, that would be a mistake. They need defenders and Reddick is an instinctive playmaker on that side of the ball. The Colts are one of the few teams who can take his talent and then worry about his fit afterwards because their defense is bad just about everywhere currently.

Pick change - previously Soloman Thomas, Defensive End

15 Eagles - John Ross, Wide Receiver, Washington

I had the Eagles going corner here in my earlier draft but given the depth of the class they may well choose to wait at that spot. Putting weapons around Carson Wentz was a priority for Philadelphia during free agency but they shouldn’t let the one year rental of Alshon Jeffrey put them off taking a potential game breaker in John Ross at this spot.

Pick change - previously Marlon Humphrey, Cornerback

16 Ravens - Derek Barnett, Defensive End, Tennessee

Change of player but I still don’t see how the Ravens can turn down an edge rusher. Barnett is really, really good and whilst there may be a bit of an adjustment to the Ravens scheme where he will have to stand up more he would instantly give opposition Quarterbacks a whole load more to think about.

Pick change - previously Tim Williams, Outside Linebacker

17 Redskins - Dalvin Cook, Running Back, Florida State

Washington’s running back depth is just about the weakest in the NFL. Matt Jones, Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson have all had spells as the #1 back and none of them have established themselves as “the guy”. There are supposedly off the field flags with Cook but if that checks out he would be an immediate huge upgrade here.

Pick change - previously Budda Baker, Safety

18 Titans - Zach Cunningham Linebacker Vanderbilt

PICK UNCHANGED - Still really like this fit for a Dick Lebeau defense.

19 TRADE! Giants - Ryan Ramzyck, Offensive Tackle, Wisconsin (Giants get #19 and #162; Buccaneers get #23 and #87)

The Giants have to begin to face up to the fact that 2015 first rounder Erek Flowers is a bust. He has been among the worst starting left tackles in the league through 2 years. Ramzyck is arguably a better fit for the Ben McAdoo system in any event but in order to be sure of getting him the Giants need to leapfrog the Broncos.

Pick change - previously Leonard Fournette, Running Back (at #23)

20 Broncos - Cam Robinson, Offensive Tackle, Alabama

Denver would likely go Ramzyck if the is still on the board at this stage but there isn’t much between him and Robinson, in fact I have the latter graded a little higher. He has the advantage that if he doesn’t stick as a left tackle he might still be an upgrade for the Broncos elsewhere on the line.

Pick change - previously Dalvin Cook, Running Back

21 Lions - Malick McDowell Defensive Tackle Michigan State

PICK UNCHANGED - Still really like this fit. McDowell might be raw but he is a powerhouse inside rusher. Here, finally, is an heir to Suh.

22 Dolphins - Forrest Lamp Guard Western Kentucky

PICK UNCHANGED - Still love this fit too. The Dolphins can kick Tunsil outside, slide Lamp in at guard and keep pounding the ball with Jay Ajayi.

23 (From Giants) Buccaneers - OJ Howard, Tight End, Alabama

A lot of people seem to think Howard is a top 10 talent, I don’t. He just doesn’t have the production at the college level for me to feel good about a team taking him there. He could still well go earlier than this but I can’t find a fit I like in the teens. He is a bargain here for the Buccaneers though.

Pick change - previously David Njoku (at #19)

24 TRADE! Cardinals - DeShone Kizer, Quarterback, Notre Dame (Cardinals get #24; Raiders get #45, #77, #179 and 2018 3rd round pick)

Arizona is doing its due diligence on these Quarterbacks because of the alarming drop off in Carson Palmer’s playin 2016. Because of that, and the risk that the rookie may have to play at some point in 2017, I think Arians goes with the one QB he thinks is “ready to go”. I very much suspect that is Kizer and he trades up to jump Houston are a potential Quarterback picker at #25. Oakland on the other hand is keen to upgrade its secondary and the compensation gives them ammunition to re-stock in this deep class of defensive backs.

Pick change - #24 was previously the Raiders selecting OJ Howard, Tight End

25 Texans - Patrick Mahomes, Quarterback, Texas Tech

PICK UNCHANGED - The trading away of Osweiler was an early admission of a huge mistake. The Texans QB depth chart currently reads 1. Tom Savage; 2. Brandon Weeden. In other words - they need a Quarterback.

26 Seahawks - Taco Charlton, Defensive End, Michigan

With the top 3 offensive linemen off the board the Seahawks could reach for Grant Bolles or they could go in a different direction. Cliff Avril is slowing down, has had injuries and is 31. Charlton looks a really nice scheme fit to provide some much needed youth to their pass rush.

Pick change - previously Cam Robinson, Offensive Tackle

27 Chiefs - Christian McCaffrey, Running Back, Stanford

Luxury pick with Spencer Ware on the roster? Maybe, but he is mainly an inside runner and with Jamal Charles released the Chiefs lack an all purpose back who can run inside, outside and make plays catching the ball. Andy Reid’s offenses love those kind of guys and McCaffrey fits the profile very nicely.

Pick change - previously John Ross, Wide Receiver

28 Cowboys - Tre’Davious White, Cornerback, LSU

Both of Dallas’ 2016 starting corners Claiborne and Carr are gone and at the moment Nolan Carroll is slated to start for the Cowboys in 2017. That is a disaster waiting to happen but luckily for them this draft is chock full of good corners. Tre’Davious White fits the profile of a Cowboys cornerback and would be an immediate starter.

Pick change - previously Taco Charlton, Defensive End

29 Packers - Takkarist McKinley, Outside Linebacker - UCLA

PICK UNCHANGED - The Packers desperately need help on the defensive side of the ball. Julius Peppers might be 104 but has been their most reliable rusher the past 3 seasons and has departed to return to Carolina so in this scenario McKinley is the obvious pick as a 3-4 OLB.

30 Steelers - Jabrill Peppers, Safety, Michigan

The rumour is that the Steelers love Peppers and would be all over him if he made it this far. They do have a need at safety and while Peppers is far from conventional he offers them intriguing athleticism at the position.

Pick change - previously Hassan Reddick, Linebacker

31 Falcons - Caleb Brantley, Defensive Tackle, Florida

PICK UNCHANGED - Still like this fit as the final piece of Dan Quinn’s Seattle imitation defense.

32 Saints - Budda Baker, Safety, Washington

The Saints taking 2 defensive backs with their 2 first rounders? I accept that might be a stretch but their secondary is certainly bad enough to justify it and Baker is the best player available on my board at this stage.

Pick change - #32 was previously the Patriots selecting Ryan Ramzcyk, Offensive Tackle

This would be very Billsy. Spend 4 picks on linebackers in 2 drafts and pass on 3 QBs with franchise potential with no QB of the future on the roster.

Potential doesn't equate to a good pick in the top ten. We need a Wlb.Period. if Foster or Reddick are there at ten,or Cunningham after trading back a bit,that's the safest return on that investment. A sure fire hole being filled,as compared to "potential" franchise QB,and the leftover scraps available in the rest of the draft. Personally,I don't see any QB worthy of a top ten pick this year...but thats just me

Potential doesn't equate to a good pick in the top ten. We need a Wlb.Period. if Foster or Reddick are there at ten,or Cunningham after trading back a bit,that's the safest return on that investment. A sure fire hole being filled,as compared to "potential" franchise QB,and the leftover scraps available in the rest of the draft. Personally,I don't see any QB worthy of a top ten pick this year...but thats just me

Drafting for need is why this team is almost going on almost 20 years of no playoffs.

Linebackers are a terrible idea for a top ten pick. If I draft a linebacker that high I want Brian Urlacher.

Edited by jeffismagic

This would be very Billsy. Spend 4 picks on linebackers in 2 drafts and pass on 3 QBs with franchise potential with no QB of the future on the roster.

We lost most of our games last year on the defensive side of the ball. It's the first order of business. This draft is another Geno, EJ, Glennon QB crop.

Look what Leveon and Ajayi did to us last year. We could have Brady at QB and still lose with that kind of defense. LB and SS picks 1 and 2 this year. Guaranteed.

We lost most of our games last year on the defensive side of the ball. It's the first order of business. This draft is another Geno, EJ, Glennon QB crop.

Look what Leveon and Ajayi did to us last year. We could have Brady at QB and still lose with that kind of defense. LB and SS picks 1 and 2 this year. Guaranteed.

Drafting based on last year is a fool's errand. We need to adopt strategy, not tactics.

Both Mahomes and Trubisky are far better prospects than any of the 2013 draft. Period. If you believe Mahomes is an EJ prospect or Trubisky is Glennon then you need to actually look closer.

I'd be ok with this but as I've said, Foster's learning disability might scare teams off and could slip as a result.

If we're going to go linebacker (a terrible idea at ten) I would rather trade back and take Jarrad Davis over Foster AND get an extra pick.

It's a piss poor mock draft.

Why?? Because Solomon, Allen, and Adams are all marquee players along with Garrett. There's no way that all four are not drafted in the top 10.

If Adams slips to #10 to the Bills I'll be a monkey's uncle.

You are looking at v.1.0 - in v.2.0 (a couple of posts above yours) they all do. I still see Allen as a possible slider though.

Edited by GunnerBill

This Mock 2.0 is much more likely. I see that you now have Garrett, Solomon, Allen, and Adams in the top 10.

I think the Bills will go either defense or QB if they stay at #10 overall. I would love to see S J. Adams slip to #10 overall, but the only way that I see that happening is if there is a run on QBs prior to #10.

If the Bills could get one of the four players mentioned above they would be getting one of the four players that will truly standout 5-10 years from now.

More likely, all four will be gone by #10 and the Bills will be faced with choosing between either LB Foster, a QB (Trubisky and Watson will likely be gone) or trading down.

Given that scenario, the best option IMHO would be to trade down with Cleveland (at #12) or Arizona (at #13) to obtain a package of picks and then select either LB Foster or possibly QB Mahomes, who I think could be the next B. Favre or A. Rodgers.

Makes sense all around. Good work.

It's a piss poor mock draft.

Why?? Because Solomon, Allen, and Adams are all marquee players along with Garrett. There's no way that all four are not drafted in the top 10.

If Adams slips to #10 to the Bills I'll be a monkey's uncle.

There's a delete post button. You should click it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.