Gunner's FINAL Mock 2017 - v.3.0 now posted (see page 4)!

GunnerBill

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where you have Allen slotted is a bit of a reach. I don't see how he makes it out of the top 5-7.

If Chicago doesn't take him (which if course they might) I don't see where he goes. I think there are equal or better players at positions of need elsewhere.

I only actually have Allen as the 7th best player on my board I know some people have him as the 2nd best player in the draft.

Edited by GunnerBill

Seems plausible. I've heard rumors of WR going to TEN and CIN, plus QBs have a way of moving up the draft post combine more than people think so it wouldn't shock me if 2 go in the top 10.

If both WRs are gone and Hooker or Adams are on the board I would be very happy going safety there or trading back since the draft is deep at safety. I definitely think we need one or two though.

If Chicago doesn't take him (which if course they might) I don't see where he goes. I think there are equal or better players at positions of need elsewhere.

I only actually have Allen as the 7th best player on my board I know some people have him as the 2nd best player in the draft.

Allen reminds me of his former linemate Jarran Reed who fell to Seattle in Round 2 last year because he lacked "flash plays" - Reed was excellent as a rookie. You can't go wrong adding talent to the front seven. Whereas DBs...

Allen reminds me of his former linemate Jarran Reed who fell to Seattle in Round 2 last year because he lacked "flash plays" - Reed was excellent as a rookie. You can't go wrong adding talent to the front seven. Whereas DBs...

I liked Jarran Reed a lot last year. I'm still not sure he is a guy you take top 10 though. I think Allen will still go high... just not as high as some think.

Jets aren't taking a QB. Doesn't matter who is on the board. They drafted a QB in the 2nd and their fans did not react well. When the Jets opted not to have him play a single down this season after looking horrible in the pre-season they said they believe Hackenberg is a franchise QB and that him not playing is how you develop him..well, drafting a QB means they have given up on Hackenberg. They would be facing some tough questions about spending a 2nd on a player who never plays a down. They kept 4 QBs last season because they were so afraid they might potentially release a good QB in Petty or Hackenberg while also believing that neither one of them could be the backup. Their front office doesn't seem inclined to take a QB who would likely not be a day 1 sure thing. Too Risky for them. They'll sign a scrap heap vet and hope Petty or Hackenberg have some miracle epiphany and are able to be a starting QB....then if they don't, they'll take one next year with their new coach when they fire Bowles.

In short, the Jets should take a QB at 6, but they won't.

Reed is a niche player for me--he fits with Seattle because they needed a run-downs-only kind of guy to balance what they lost when Mebane defected in FA.

For me, Allen does more in the pass game than Reed, and is a good deal more disruptive

Reed is a niche player for me--he fits with Seattle because they needed a run-downs-only kind of guy to balance what they lost when Mebane defected in FA.

For me, Allen does more in the pass game than Reed, and is a good deal more disruptive

I may have agreed with that until I watched Reed play this past season. He was far more disruptive and penetrating than how he had been billed.

I may have agreed with that until I watched Reed play this past season. He was far more disruptive and penetrating than how he had been billed.

Maybe I just didn't catch enough of Reed; I thought he was mostly pedestrian in the games that I watched (Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina), the the exception of the NE game, where I thought he looked like a brick wall.

I'll have to try to pay closer attention to him this upcoming season.

Jets aren't taking a QB. Doesn't matter who is on the board. They drafted a QB in the 2nd and their fans did not react well. When the Jets opted not to have him play a single down this season after looking horrible in the pre-season they said they believe Hackenberg is a franchise QB and that him not playing is how you develop him..well, drafting a QB means they have given up on Hackenberg. They would be facing some tough questions about spending a 2nd on a player who never plays a down. They kept 4 QBs last season because they were so afraid they might potentially release a good QB in Petty or Hackenberg while also believing that neither one of them could be the backup. Their front office doesn't seem inclined to take a QB who would likely not be a day 1 sure thing. Too Risky for them. They'll sign a scrap heap vet and hope Petty or Hackenberg have some miracle epiphany and are able to be a starting QB....then if they don't, they'll take one next year with their new coach when they fire Bowles.

In short, the Jets should take a QB at 6, but they won't.

The reports in NY are that Hackenberg was awful in practice and that it's quite possible that the Jets see the pick as a failure already and are ready to move on.

The reports in NY are that Hackenberg was awful in practice and that it's quite possible that the Jets see the pick as a failure already and are ready to move on.

His accuracy level is not adequate for the pros. It is a killer trait that can't be overcome. The Jets fell in love with the physical attributes overlooking the problems he had with his accuracy. They thought they could tinker with his mechanics to improve his precision in passing. It rarely works that way. If a qb in college isn't very accurate in college odds are that he is not going to overcome that flaw in the pros. In the pros coaches can work with an accurate college qb with poor mechanics but the success rate for inaccurate college qbs making the transition to the pros is poor.

With respect to the issue of the draft the Bills are in a good position to draft a good qb prospect with their first round pick. If this organization instead decides to draft a highly ranked DB it will continue being an irrelevant franchise. Those people who are enamored with analyzing the DB crop are not giving enough attention to do what is required to do to get out of this seemingly unending rut of mediocrity: Draft a franchise capable qb.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.