Derek Boyko Named Vice President Of Communications

iommi

I think this is great news.

The more fresh air the Bills allow in the room the better. Berchtold represents the stale, egg fart-smelling air in one bills drive. To me, the Bills' public image have been abysmal and a lot of that falls on him. As mentioned, the sequencing and production of those recent press conferences was inexcusable. Stuff like that has been going on for years and years. It isnt hard for a PR executive to help get a couple guys to get their stories straight.

Another one of their greatest hits was them saying during the playoff drought that Toronto games were justified because Bills fans and the market cannot sell out December home games anyways.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is great news.

The more fresh air the Bills allow in the room the better. Berchtold represents the stale, egg fart-smelling air in one bills drive. To me, the Bills' public image have been abysmal and a lot of that falls on him. As mentioned, the sequencing and production of those recent press conferences was inexcusable. Stuff like that has been going on for years and years. It isnt hard for a PR executive to help get a couple guys to get their stories straight.

Another one of their greatest hits was them saying during the playoff drought that Toronto games were justified because Bills fans and the market cannot sell out December home games anyways.

Well that is true. And it's not only because of the playoff drought. There were many December games that needed sold out by Russ Salvatore or Ch.2 (Later Ch.4) or Ralph himself to lift blackouts, even during the SB run. Heck, I know for a fact the 4th AFCC vs the Chiefs was in danger of being blacked out before Ralph bough that last few thousand seats himself.

Well that is true. And it's not only because of the playoff drought. There were many December games that needed sold out by Russ Salvatore or Ch.2 (Later Ch.4) or Ralph himself to lift blackouts, even during the SB run. Heck, I know for a fact the 4th AFCC vs the Chiefs was in danger of being blacked out before Ralph bough that last few thousand seats himself.

That is 1992. Pre internet sales, and pre John Doe can become a ticket broker

Ticket sales in 2010's are a completely different business. Just the injection of Pegula insta-sold December games. A decent team with playoff priority and resale ticket value will have an indefinite waiting list.

Anyways... it is a farce for any representative of the team to tell its fans that, let alone the team President. Very bad message, especially with a keystone capers organization.

Edited by May Day 10

He isn't autonomous. His boss tells him what to say.

It actually has worked the opposite there (and in other sports organizations that I've been a part of). The message is crafted by the person in Berchtold's position. The GM, president, owner wait for the talking points from him. They may deviate slightly but he has prepared them prior. That role is the person that puts out the fires as well.

He's part of the old guard who had little relationship with the new owner. What does it mean? Not much. It probably has to do with modernizing the organization and management style. Weeding out the old guard is a normal process when new ownership takes over.

How much does this do with the product on the field? Absolutely nothing. Pegula's focus of attention should be on the football operation. Substance is always a more important issue than style.

I can say this, they tried to weed him out once before and couldn't. He held that kind of power. Many others were weeded out at that point (Bill Munson for example). Berchtold was the one guy that was teflon.

This is HUGE news. I do not know if people realize the power that Berchtold has had over there for a LONG time. This is very, very interesting.

Did he design the game plan every week and was in charge of drafting and player development? I fail to see what affect he had on the field. Maybe day to day press issues but otherwise I don't see the big deal....out with the old in with the new.

Did he design the game plan every week and was in charge of drafting and player development? I fail to see what affect he had on the field. Maybe day to day press issues but otherwise I don't see the big deal....out with the old in with the new.

Removing people who have proven to be terrible at their jobs and keep sticking around for years is always a positive change.

Then maybe you are missing the point. The man responsible for creating the Bills image to the public is no longer there. I think that we would all agree that there has been a very contentious relationship between the Bills and the media no? The perception of incompetence is largely a product of his work.

Obviously he doesn't game plan. Think of him as the crisis manager in Hollywood. While he isn't the one that lost the game he is the one responsible for the crazy press conferences we've seen. He's the one that doesn't have people prepared for the media. I don't know how to put it because not every business has these concerns. I guess that all that I can say is that I think you will notice that he is gone. I think that perception moving forward will be that the Bills are more competent than we originally thought. The reality is, they are the same, just portrayed differently.

You all make far too much out of little, missing the bigger points for the minutia, in my humble opinion.

To think that the VP of communications has anything to do with onfield football related or personnel matters, the drought, the carousel of coaches and GMs, the lack of a quarterback, the decision to trade up to draft Sammy Watkins, Trent Edwards starting, Dockery's contract, Marcell Dareus' latest suspension, why they drafted EJ, Doug Marrone's abrupt departure or anything else then I'm terribly sorry for you and you might need to get out of the basement for a spell or two.

As with any media relations person in my 23 years covering a pro beat, I've had my differences with Scott. It happens.

But I'm not going to speak ill of him. He treated me with respect and as a professional. And that included even at the more heated times during my early years covering the team.

I sincerely wish him the best in his new role, and hope he enjoys the additional time he now will have to spend with his family.

jw

You all make far too much out of little, missing the bigger points for the minutia, in my humble opinion.

To think that the VP of communications has anything to do with onfield football related or personnel matters, the drought, the carousel of coaches and GMs, the lack of a quarterback, the decision to trade up to draft Sammy Watkins, Trent Edwards starting, Dockery's contract, Marcell Dareus' latest suspension, why they drafted EJ, Doug Marrone's abrupt departure or anything else then I'm terribly sorry for you and you might need to get out of the basement for a spell or two.

As with any media relations person in my 23 years covering a pro beat, I've had my differences with Scott. It happens.

But I'm not going to speak ill of him. He treated me with respect and as a professional. And that included even at the more heated times during my early years covering the team.

I sincerely wish him the best in his new role, and hope he enjoys the additional time he now will have to spend with his family.

jw

FWIW, I've always liked him too (not that I have the interactions that you do). I do think that he has had a lot of power over there and we will see the message look a little different.

I don't have delusions that this affects anything related to the on field product, but I think it's a positive move. Hard to deny the team has come off as a second rate organization at times over the years during pressers. Even going back to the few days of Marv returning as GM weirdness.

Wonder how the podium feels about this move :)

I don't have delusions that this affects anything related to the on field product, but I think it's a positive move. Hard to deny the team has come off as a second rate organization at times over the years during pressers. Even going back to the few days of Marv returning as GM weirdness.

Wonder how the podium feels about this move :)

Lord.

Ralph Wilson hired Marv. It was Ralph's decision alone. He felt burned by Tom Donahoe and believed he couldn't trust an outsider. So he turned to Marv.

Scott had nothing to do with it.

My point is, focus on what ills have confounded this franchise.

jw

The real question is will he come to the media with sandwiches?

As long as he only serves the Buffalo Bills Three Stodges Dung Hoagies I will be saying he does a great job!

@lesbowen

This is really bad news for people who cover the Eagles, and for Eagles fans. Good for Derek, who is from Buffalo.

I have heard on the wall that no one wants to move to Buffalo due to taxes, Bills, taxes, weather, taxes and lawmakers in Albany so this cannot be true.

Then maybe you are missing the point. The man responsible for creating the Bills image to the public is no longer there. I think that we would all agree that there has been a very contentious relationship between the Bills and the media no? The perception of incompetence is largely a product of his work.

Obviously he doesn't game plan. Think of him as the crisis manager in Hollywood. While he isn't the one that lost the game he is the one responsible for the crazy press conferences we've seen. He's the one that doesn't have people prepared for the media. I don't know how to put it because not every business has these concerns. I guess that all that I can say is that I think you will notice that he is gone. I think that perception moving forward will be that the Bills are more competent than we originally thought. The reality is, they are the same, just portrayed differently.

So you are saying it is his fault that those in the media who have no reason to be there since they made up stories on owner of Bills still were able to attend? I hope his replacement does a better job but I doubt that on this point.

He basically has relayed the message from the Bills to the general public (since the Super Bowl years or earlier). Press conferences are his talking points and prep. Press releases are from his words. He was responsible for every message, press conference, press release and talking point that the Bills put out. He basically was in charge of the perception of the brand. He had a lot of power.

The PR guy has little to do with creating the perception of the brand. It's established by the play on the field. The Bills haven't been in the playoffs for more than a generation. There is no motto or theme song that is going to alter the reality that that the Bills not only reflect losing but are the embodiment of boring losers. Burrowing into the business side of the business, especially the PR office, and then concluding that it reflects anything meaningful is over-analyzing the business.

The Steelers, Pats, Packers, Giants all have identities that originate from their record and performance on the field. It has little to do with administrative bosses who are inconsequential to how the respective teams are perceived by the fans.

Rex originally brought a lot of attention and noise at crowded press conferences. The PR staff were ecstatic. When he was unceremoniously dumped the previous brash and bombastic press conferences that were once considered captivating were later considered foolish and intolerable to take.

Berchtold staying or leaving or being promoted or demoted means absolutely nothing. It's the product. Always was and always will be.

I can say this, they tried to weed him out once before and couldn't. He held that kind of power. Many others were weeded out at that point (Bill Munson for example). Berchtold was the one guy that was teflon.

If Pegula wanted him out as soon as he took over he would have gotten him out. It was far down on the owner's thing to do list. There is nothing unusual about the old staffers being replaced by the new staffers when there is new ownership in any business. Sometimes it is summarily done and sometimes it is a phased in approach.

Kirby, you are making too much of something that is very small. Don't bother with something so tangential to the operation of the franchise. Instead, how about talking about the Bills using their first pick on Mahomes or Watkins? :D

jw

Excellent points, but do you think Berchtold was perhaps a source of some of the leaks coming out of OBD? While they don't relate directly to onfield performance, they paint a very poor picture of the organization. Since McDermott was hired many of us have commented on how much of a tight-lipped ship they appear to now be running.