A closer look into Tyrod Taylor's 2016 season

cover1

I don't want to speak for Erik, because the man knows his X's and O's as well as anyone...

For me, my opinion is that Dennison will want to use boot-action and moving pockets from under-center looks to help vary the route concepts and keep the defense honest. It's not a great substitute for a QB that can make full-field reads on a routine basis, but it's better than nothing.

Again, I appreciate this entirely. I just wish we didn't have to describe our QB in terms of his limitations.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to speak for Erik, because the man knows his X's and O's as well as anyone...

For me, my opinion is that Dennison will want to use boot-action and moving pockets from under-center looks to help vary the route concepts and keep the defense honest. It's not a great substitute for a QB that can make full-field reads on a routine basis, but it's better than nothing.

And I think that most people don't really understand the whole full field reads vs half field reads. They think just because a QB doesn't scan one half of the field that it is a half field read. That is simply not true, in the simplest terms, half field reads are typically mirrored route concepts such as smash routes to both sides of the field out of a 2x2 WR set. The Qb will get to the line of scrimmage, decipher the best matchup and attack it. That is something that Lynn and company wanted TT to do. Those are half field reads. Bills utilized this but not as often as everyone thinks, actually hackett loved doing this lol.

Here is a half field, half roll pass

Another example

Switch concept- The QB and WRs have to be on the same page bc they are option routes

Lots of PA passes are half field reads

Not all offenses make their QBs scan the whole field, in all actuality they have them read coverages or work through progressions. The Bills utilized a lot of both. The type of reads the Bills liked to utilize may look like a half field read but actually are not. For example, having two different types of combinations to each side such as a zone beater concept to one side and a man beater concept to the other. The QB gets to the line of scrimmage, decides what coverage zone or man, or specifically what kind of zone is there then decides which route combo to utilize. This is very common, the Pats and Mcdaniels package this on just about every play.

Example

https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/829756543545569282

The Bills also utilized this in two forms progression reads and coverage reads (may appear half field but they are not), but they typically did it from 3x1 formation sets with an intent of isolating Watkins to the solo WR side, typically running a man beater route IE, slant, streak, deep comeback, then having high/low concepts to the trips side. TT gets to the line of scrimmage, identifies the coverage, throws to Watkins if he has 1on1 looks with no safety help OR have TT throw to the trips side. But Most of the deciphering happens pre snap so everyone things its just a half field read bc post snap TT throws to the trips side, doesn't look to Sammy bc he is doubled etc.

Here are some examples that appear to be half reads but are not

Unfavorable matchup to the solo WR side press with S over the top

TT looks to Shady, if he wasn't doubled, think he makes that throw?

Hope that helps. I just think that a lot of people misunderstand full field reads, don't realize that once Lynn took over, he actually incorporated more of these concepts. Roman was notorious for cooking up specific routes v certain coverages week to week instead of running base concepts which is why when the defense showed something different, TT struggled. lt was not conducive to learning for a QB. What it comes down to is that offenses have several kinds of passes, quicks, ie 1 and 3 step passes that are typically half field reads/mirrored concepts, some half field play action passes some full field, intermediate and deep drops that require reads and progressions. Some that have the QB still find the best matchup based on the coverage but appear to be half field reads.

For more on the subject, read this http://smartfootball.com/quarterbacking/reading-grass-versus-reading-full-coverages-or-keying-specific-pass-defenders#sthash.DK5AjDMD.dpbs

Edited by cover1

Great stuff, Eric. As always.

It's not a lack of understanding of half field reads and what they may or may not indicate of a QB's abilities to decipher defenses, pre or post snap. It's how much easier it is for defenses, especially good ones, to disguise coverages, pre and post snap when they know a QBs tendencies in that regard. For example, everyone knows that TT has a green light to exploit tight man coverage when he sees it and for good reason, especially with a talent like Watkins outside. But too often we see post snap defensive adjustments, especially from better prepared teams, that seem to fool him and he either forces it or is too slow in recognition that by the time he comes off that read it's too late, especially for anything on the back side. Again, not so much a knock on TT as a commentary on the state of QBing in the league.

I think it's an awareness/vision issue and I'm curious to see if he can make the adjustment and thrive from under center, especially with his back to the defense when he has to execute play action in this new offense. With as good a running game as we have, we should be able to exploit defenses with it and it will say a lot if Dennison has enough trust in TT to give him full reign in his preferred scheme.

If TT can learn what the defense is giving on any given play, he can begin to take what he wants. Which is why I was so enthused after reviewing the Miami game a couple times. IMO, it was his best performance in terms of command. It really looked like his "lights on" moment where the game slowed down for him. Much more so than the Seattle and other games where he's shown a glimpse or two.

Wow I just read the piece earlier and was impressed. Video segment is even better by leaps and bounds. VERY educational. My take away...

Tyrod is a waaaay better QB than I thought.

And

Playing NFL QBis waaaaaaaaaaay harder than I thought.

Which means it's still not clear if he's the right guy.

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

Great stuff, Eric. As always.

It's not a lack of understanding of half field reads and what they may or may not indicate of a QB's abilities to decipher defenses, pre or post snap. It's how much easier it is for defenses, especially good ones, to disguise coverages, pre and post snap when they know a QBs tendencies in that regard. For example, everyone knows that TT has a green light to exploit tight man coverage when he sees it and for good reason, especially with a talent like Watkins outside. But too often we see post snap defensive adjustments, especially from better prepared teams, that seem to fool him and he either forces it or is too slow in recognition that by the time he comes off that read it's too late, especially for anything on the back side. Again, not so much a knock on TT as a commentary on the state of QBing in the league.

I think it's an awareness/vision issue and I'm curious to see if he can make the adjustment and thrive from under center, especially with his back to the defense when he has to execute play action in this new offense. With as good a running game as we have, we should be able to exploit defenses with it and it will say a lot if Dennison has enough trust in TT to give him full reign in his preferred scheme.

If TT can learn what the defense is giving on any given play, he can begin to take what he wants. Which is why I was so enthused after reviewing the Miami game a couple times. IMO, it was his best performance in terms of command. It really looked like his "lights on" moment where the game slowed down for him. Much more so than the Seattle and other games where he's shown a glimpse or two.

I will agree, TT has issues with field vision and that is why when I watched the last three games I noticed that they were doing what the Hawks and Saints did for Wilson and Brees. They were giving him 5 step drops out of shotgun, backing him away from the LOS, allowing him to see the field better, plus they were utilizing motion more to help him ID coverages easier. We are finishing up a study of the entire season on how TT was utilized, IE depth of drops, how much motion utilized and gun vs under center stats and that was the tweet I put in the article. Did u know TT's completion percentage was 5.8% higher with play action (PA called 19.7% in 2016, down from 21.8 in 2015). Similarly, did u know that Matt Ryan, had the highest amount of snaps under center and the highest % of play action passes at 27.6%? What system does he run? How much of a difference has said system done for Ryan, who for the longest time has been an average QB? I wouldn't worry about having his back to the defense, that defense also has to react pretty quickly to those run fakes with Shady and company's skills..But we shall see what happens in the next few weeks.

Eric, nice job as always. It's great to see intelligent, thoughtful argument instead of the more typical emotional "Tyrod sucks!" type commentary common here.

Though I must admit I'm beginning to grow weary of 2016 season archaeology and analysis - especially when we'll definitely have a new offensive scheme in 2017 and possibly a new QB.

Whatever Lynn did wrong with the passing game, I thought he play-called Roman's run scheme brilliantly. I'm not convinced Dennison's O will produce more points.

I will agree, TT has issues with field vision and that is why when I watched the last three games I noticed that they were doing what the Hawks and Saints did for Wilson and Brees. They were giving him 5 step drops out of shotgun, backing him away from the LOS, allowing him to see the field better, plus they were utilizing motion more to help him ID coverages easier. We are finishing up a study of the entire season on how TT was utilized, IE depth of drops, how much motion utilized and gun vs under center stats and that was the tweet I put in the article. Did u know TT's completion percentage was 5.8% higher with play action (PA called 19.7% in 2016, down from 21.8 in 2015). Similarly, did u know that Matt Ryan, had the highest amount of snaps under center and the highest % of play action passes at 27.6%? What system does he run? How much of a difference has said system done for Ryan, who for the longest time has been an average QB? I wouldn't worry about having his back to the defense, that defense also has to react pretty quickly to those run fakes with Shady and company's skills..But we shall see what happens in the next few weeks.

As a fan who's always looking for reasons to hope, I thought this was intriguing.

Again, I appreciate this entirely. I just wish we didn't have to describe our QB in terms of his limitations.

You could say that a good offensive coordinator builds an offense around the strengths that their QB possesses.

All QBs have strengths and weaknesses. The best coaches find ways to utilize the strengths and hide the deficiencies.

If he played for another team we would be trading for him.

Absolutely. Or we would be praying his current team did not pick up the option and every here would be posting "back up the Brinks truck, Terry"

And I think that most people don't really understand the whole full field reads vs half field reads. They think just because a QB doesn't scan one half of the field that it is a half field read. That is simply not true, in the simplest terms, half field reads are typically mirrored route concepts such as smash routes to both sides of the field out of a 2x2 WR set. The Qb will get to the line of scrimmage, decipher the best matchup and attack it. That is something that Lynn and company wanted TT to do. Those are half field reads. Bills utilized this but not as often as everyone thinks, actually hackett loved doing this lol.

Another example

Switch concept- The QB and WRs have to be on the same page bc they are option routes

Not all offenses make their QBs scan the whole field, in all actuality they have them read coverages or work through progressions. The Bills utilized a lot of both. The type of reads the Bills liked to utilize may look like a half field read but actually are not. For example, having two different types of combinations to each side such as a zone beater concept to one side and a man beater concept to the other. The QB gets to the line of scrimmage, decides what coverage zone or man, or specifically what kind of zone is there then decides which route combo to utilize. This is very common, the Pats and Mcdaniels package this on just about every play.

Example

The Bills also utilized this in two forms progression reads and coverage reads (may appear half field but they are not), but they typically did it from 3x1 formation sets with an intent of isolating Watkins to the solo WR side, typically running a man beater route IE, slant, streak, deep comeback, then having high/low concepts to the trips side. TT gets to the line of scrimmage, identifies the coverage, throws to Watkins if he has 1on1 looks with no safety help OR have TT throw to the trips side. But Most of the deciphering happens pre snap so everyone things its just a half field read bc post snap TT throws to the trips side, doesn't look to Sammy bc he is doubled etc.

Hope that helps. I just think that a lot of people misunderstand full field reads, don't realize that once Lynn took over, he actually incorporated more of these concepts. Roman was notorious for cooking up specific routes v certain coverages week to week instead of running base concepts which is why when the defense showed something different, TT struggled. lt was not conducive to learning for a QB. What it comes down to is that offenses have several kinds of passes, quicks, ie 1 and 3 step passes that are typically half field reads/mirrored concepts, some half field play action passes some full field, intermediate and deep drops that require reads and progressions. Some that have the QB still find the best matchup based on the coverage but appear to be half field reads.

For more on the subject, read this http://smartfootball.com/quarterbacking/reading-grass-versus-reading-full-coverages-or-keying-specific-pass-defenders#sthash.DK5AjDMD.dpbs

Thanks for all of this

There has been a lot of talk that

- Greg Roman while drawing up great run blocking schemes simply does not have great passing game concepts (and this went back to his days in San Fran)

- When Greg Roman left the offense was "tweaked" however there was talk that because we were already in season the offense was not changed that much.....

Do you feel that our passing game route trees also had a lot to do with its ineffectiveness (i realize that some will immediately blame TT) for that....I am talking about the scheme itself.

Great stuff here. I still think he's going to be our best option. Romo is NOT coming here, Cousins is staying in Washington, and Cutler is NOT an option. Stay with him until somebody beats him out. The Bills have overpaid for much worse than TT over the years. Suck it up and hope this coaching staff can get even more out of him.

Thanks for all of this

There has been a lot of talk that

- Greg Roman while drawing up great run blocking schemes simply does not have great passing game concepts (and this went back to his days in San Fran)

- When Greg Roman left the offense was "tweaked" however there was talk that because we were already in season the offense was not changed that much.....

Do you feel that our passing game route trees also had a lot to do with its ineffectiveness (i realize that some will immediately blame TT) for that....I am talking about the scheme itself.

When you have such a multitude of run concepts and checks, much of your practice time is dedicated to practicing that. Specifically against the defensive looks that you will see from your current opponent. Less time to practice the passing game and screen game (its criminal how we havent run more screens). The offense was definitely tweaked, as I noted Lynn chose 4-5 concepts and utilized those from different pass sets. Which is normal. The concepts I noted in my earlier posts are common concepts, heck ones I used in high school and college but the difference is the lack of option routes, checks etc within those concepts. The Bills didnt seem to give the WRs and or TT much leeway to operate under those conditions, which make the route concepts look much different and much more difficult to defend. So it did make it easier to defend. As far as the route tree, I believe much of the issues you hear common fans discuss IE, the lack of YAC, all of the routes the WRs are stationary are all products of TT, but not in the way everyone wants to crucify him for. As the most dangerous mobile QB with the ball in his hand, we do not see a lot of man coverage. The defense wants all eyes on TT so that he doesnt pull the ball down and torch them. So we see a lot of zone defenses, defensive looks that dont allow WRs to 'run away' from defenders, hence not much YAC. The concepts are more zone beater concepts, WRs find windows and sit or the QB hits them in the window and not much YAC after bc there is a defender in said zone. Not many 1 on 1 man routes with the opportunity for YAC.

Another example

Example

Reading your stuff should be mandatory. Well done. I always learn something.