The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

33 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He really does. :lol: It made me wonder if that was how he got Krassen's guard down: act and sound like an unthreatening oaf. 

If you look at the comments, someone tries spinning it as a parody video they intentionally made.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Nice, but in the end, the world doesn't watch the local Chicago news. The MSM at large knows this. Like the article referenced...

On a national level, it took seconds for the story to become that Smollett was a victim of a hate crime and that once again supporters of President Trump are racist homophobes who are out for blood. It just stood there, for weeks, getting spread by Hollywood, social media, and conversations offline. Like so many other false stories recklessly spread, it became an axiom.

56 minutes ago, B-Man said:

They did a great job.  I started following Weigel and a few others who practice real journalism it seems in Chicago - a few weeks ago.  They stayed on it, and the CPD stayed on it.  Something that I never thought would happen and I'm sure Jussie didn't, either. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hate crime hoaxes, like Jussie Smollett's alleged attack, are more common than you think

That this case turned out to be a hoax shouldn't come as too big of a shock. A great many hate crime stories turn out to be hoaxes. Simply looking at what happened to the most widely reported hate crime stories over the past 4-5 years illustrates this: not only the Smollett case but also the Yasmin Seweid, Air Force Academy, Eastern Michigan, Wisconsin-Parkside, Kean College, Covington Catholic, and “Hopewell Baptist burning” racial scandals all turned out to be fakes. And, these cases are not isolated outliers.

Doing research for a book, Hate Crime Hoax, I was able to easily put together a data set of 409 confirmed hate hoaxes. An overlapping but substantially different list of 348 hoaxes exists at fakehatecrimes.org, and researcher Laird Wilcox put together another list of at least 300 in his still-contemporary book Crying Wolf. To put these numbers in context, a little over 7,000 hate crimes were reported by the FBI in 2017 and perhaps 8-10% of these are widely reported enough to catch the eye of a national researcher.

THIS PART SEPARATES CONSERVATIVES FROM LIBERALS, I AM FINDING OUT.  I DON'T SEE HOW CRYING WOLF AND LYING EVER HELP YOUR CAUSE:

However, the motivations of many hoaxers are honorable if misguided. In college campus hate hoax cases (Kean College, U-Chicago), the individuals responsible almost invariably say that they staged incidents to call attention to real incidents of racist violence on campus. Certainly, the media giants that leap to publicize hate crime stories later revealed to be fakes, and the organizations that line up to defend their “victims” — the Southern Poverty Law Center, Black Lives Matter, CAIR — think that they are providing a public service by fighting bigotry.

However, hate crime hoaxers are “calling attention to a problem” that is a very small part of total crimes. There is very little brutally violent racism in the modern USA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/02/22/jussie-smollett-empire-attack-fired-cut-video-chicago-fox-column/2950146002/

• Like (+1) 1