Packers cut former UB Bulls RB James Starks

YoloinOhio

@rapsheet

The #Packers have cut RB James Starks, per the transaction wire. It's with a non-football injury designation. But going forward he's healthy

Always liked him. I wonder if the NFI is related to the car wreck he was in

Edited by YoloinOhio

He was terrific at UB but only had a brief stretch in the NFL where he showed that brilliance. But in his 7 year career he must have been on IR for 5. The guy is always injured.

Ironically him being injured as a rookie probably saved his career. GB lost all their RBs in a string of freak injuries when he was just ready to play, opening the door for him.

At least he's got a ring.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

7 years for a 6th round pick from a minor program is pretty damn good. He is completely done, but he had a very good career all things considered.

For sure for what he was he made the most out of his career, and AR throwing to him helps. 3500 yards, 15 tds. Good for him

http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesstarks/497206/profile

He was terrific at UB but only had a brief stretch in the NFL where he showed that brilliance. But in his 7 year career he must have been on IR for 5. The guy is always injured.

Ironically him being injured as a rookie probably saved his career. GB lost all their RBs in a string of freak injuries when he was just ready to play, opening the door for him.

At least he's got a ring.

That seems high... I know he ended on IR last year and 2012, and you are correct his rookie year, but did he really have an injury prone label?

7 years for a 6th round pick from a minor program is pretty damn good. He is completely done, but he had a very good career all things considered.

I can't seem to recall another RB that was able to last as long while being a clear cut #2 on the same time - seven years is an unfathomly long time. Guess he got lucky with GB, who are loathe to get rid of their own draft picks.

But yeah, excellent career with everything listed above. He also made a little more than $8M in career earnings according to spotrac. What 30 year old wouldn't want to his second career with that type of nest egg???

That seems high... I know he ended on IR last year and 2012, and you are correct his rookie year, but did he really have an injury prone label?

I can't seem to recall another RB that was able to last as long while being a clear cut #2 on the same time - seven years is an unfathomly long time. Guess he got lucky with GB, who are loathe to get rid of their own draft picks.

But yeah, excellent career with everything listed above. He also made a little more than $8M in career earnings according to spotrac. What 30 year old wouldn't want to his second career with that type of nest egg???

Roland Hooks, Buffalo Bills, 1976-1982. OJ, Terry Miller, Curtis Brown, Joe Cribs all ahead of him during his time.

I would have added Rob Riddick for his 8 year tenure with the Bills (1981-88), but in checking on it he was the full fledged starter, and not just relief, for 8 games in 1986.

Great player. Always did well in his role and had a few games where he really shined. The guy had 993 total yards as back-up in 2015 which is pretty impressive.

I'll never forget his rookie year where he rushed for over 300+ yards in the playoffs and led the Packers in rushing in their Super Bowl win.

• 4 weeks later...

If we come into next season with McCoy, Gillislee, and Williams, I'd like to bring in Starks to compete in camp. I don't think highly of Williams at all, and with our recent RB injuries, I see the RB3 position as one of value.

I could see the argument that we need to get younger at RB, but I think backs are a dime a dozen anyway, and if we really just spent $1 million on Bush last season, why not kick the tires on Starks. If he's too slow in camp, release him and it's no big deal.

Honestly, if it's late in the season, and we have some injuries at RB, would you rather have Starks come in to start or J. Williams?

If we come into next season with McCoy, Gillislee, and Williams, I'd like to bring in Starks to compete in camp. I don't think highly of Williams at all, and with our recent RB injuries, I see the RB3 position as one of value.

I could see the argument that we need to get younger at RB, but I think backs are a dime a dozen anyway, and if we really just spent $1 million on Bush last season, why not kick the tires on Starks. If he's too slow in camp, release him and it's no big deal.

Honestly, if it's late in the season, and we have some injuries at RB, would you rather have Starks come in to start or J. Williams?

He was an animal at UB but I think he missed part of his senior season with injuries as well.

I'm the biggest Starks fan around, and I think bringing him to camp is worth doing, but he really deserves the injury prone label. Wikipedia says he missed 29 games in his first 4 seasons to injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Starks