Anti-Sports Guys

My annoying, pseudo hipster brother in law falls into this category. He thinks he's superior to everyone else with his ironic glasses, flannel shirts, beard, and multiple uses for mason jars. At family get togethers, there is typically a hand full of us who are congregated around a television watching some type of sporting event.

His "I don't follow sports because they're not hipster enough" attitude is really annoying. Just go make some fancy French press coffee and leave us men alone, bub.

**NOTE: I assume this means "team sports". What about more individual type sports. Skiing, hunting, etc...

You are a psych... Changing gears a bit, I found this article interesting:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/sports/football/new-england-patriots-super-bowl-cheating.amp.html

Yeah... This article is about moral issues, behavior, what not, but it can be applied to this thread and how people deal w/groups. Maybe the anti-sports guys are just not into the sports mentality. Maybe the anti-sports guys don't have quickly vacillating beliefs when dealing with sports groups. Basically, they are more individually oriented, introverted.

I found this fascinating:

"...DeSteno and his former student Piercarlo Valdesolo conducted studies that showed that even strangers placed into groups quickly start favoring the people in their group, as they would favor themselves, even if that group was created randomly, and only minutes earlier. Morality, as it turns out, can change by the second, and for no good reason.

Its not even a conscious decision, DeSteno said. Its an innate survival reaction.

It even showed up in the coin-flip experiment. Before it started, the initial group had been divided using different color wristbands, effectively separating participants into teams, and then some were told to watch on a hidden camera as the coin flippers cheated. When the observers saw people cheat, they considered it unfair and wrong unless they saw that the cheater was wearing the same color wristband as they were. In those cases, they were much more likely to excuse the behavior..."

Keep in mind most of those guys that have that holier than thou attittude towards sports were probably nerds that didn't play any sports growing up as kids and they are the ones that missed out...so I never really take it personally but it can definitely be annoying depending on how arrogant the person is.

Maybe. Although, I gather this argument doesn't hold water all too well. Define "sports". Team or individual, or do they hate all sports?

Maybe they did play team sports and just sucked @ it?

I wouldn't say "miss out." Many who don't like the team sport concept have played. Maybe many just didn't start out that young? Age when introduced to something, I assume, is a huge factor. Maybe they just didn't like fitting into groups or teams and then found a more comfortable group to fit into, ie: the "anti-sports" crowd.

Imagine everyone you work with not being into sports....My direct supervisor and the four other individuals I directly work with probably didn't even the Super Bowl was on yesterday. Someone called me up last week and asked if there was a pool going around. Nope, sad state of affairs.

Are you in the ballet or something?

**NOTE: I assume this means "team sports". What about more individual type sports. Skiing, hunting, etc...

You are a psych... Changing gears a bit, I found this article interesting:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/sports/football/new-england-patriots-super-bowl-cheating.amp.html

Yeah... This article is about moral issues, behavior, what not, but it can be applied to this thread and how people deal w/groups. Maybe the anti-sports guys are just not into the sports mentality. Maybe the anti-sports guys don't have quickly vacillating beliefs when dealing with sports groups. Basically, they are more individually oriented, introverted.

I found this fascinating:

"...DeSteno and his former student Piercarlo Valdesolo conducted studies that showed that even strangers placed into groups quickly start favoring the people in their group, as they would favor themselves, even if that group was created randomly, and only minutes earlier. Morality, as it turns out, can change by the second, and for no good reason.

Its not even a conscious decision, DeSteno said. Its an innate survival reaction.

It even showed up in the coin-flip experiment. Before it started, the initial group had been divided using different color wristbands, effectively separating participants into teams, and then some were told to watch on a hidden camera as the coin flippers cheated. When the observers saw people cheat, they considered it unfair and wrong unless they saw that the cheater was wearing the same color wristband as they were. In those cases, they were much more likely to excuse the behavior..."

This is part of the reason I did so many drugs in college.

Imagine everyone you work with not being into sports....My direct supervisor and the four other individuals I directly work with probably didn't even the Super Bowl was on yesterday. Someone called me up last week and asked if there was a pool going around. Nope, sad state of affairs.

I've had that. I had a team of about 20 people, one of them was a football fan. Everybody else thought I was the weird one for not being into anime. The other guy was into both, so they were fine with him. What was worse is they tried to talk **** about the Bills to get on my nerves. I don't mind getting teased for being a Bills fan, it comes with the territory, and is part of what makes it fun. But they didn't know anything about the team/sport so it only annoyed me because of how lame and generic their insults were.

Ahhhh yes the finer things in life. ;)

I don't suffer those types Chefy!!! Accepting only the finest things in life... harrumph!!! You accept the base level of mediocrity like the rest of us and you'll LIKE IT!!!! You get your cheese that comes from can, frozen fish sticks, the musical stylings of Creed and Everybody Loves Raymond for example ;)

a lot of those guys probably have basement dungeons or involved in other sick ****

Hey wait a minute, I'm not an anti sports guy and I'm involved in other.... :bag: Nevermind, nothing to see here!

I look at it this way. After a Bill, Sabres, Angels, SF Giants loss there was a marked decrease in my attitude. No denying it. Especially a Bills loss seeing every game is so damn crucial. Not having the Monday depression is wonderful. Also not having to deal the massive emotional roller coaster throughout the game. The game day threads are hilarious. The euphoria to suicidal/murderous posts from play to play can't be good for your blood pressure. I don't miss it one bit

You ever deal with these insufferable bastards? I'm not talking about guys that aren't really into sports. That's okay. Everybody has different hobbies. Different interests. That's not who I'm talking about.

The guys I'm talking about are the ones who feel they're morally/intellectually superior due to their lack of knowledge in sports. They love to interrupt other peoples' conversations about sports to let us know that they do better things with their time than to "watch a bunch of millionaire, overpaid crybabies play a child's game."

When the Super Bowl, or some other major sporting event is brought up, they make sure to let everybody know they "had no idea there a sportsball game today." Or "I was too busy [reading/spending time with my family/some other activity they find morally superior] to pay attention."

Sorry for the rant, but I've been dealing with these people all week, and needed to vent somewhere.

Everybody knows somebody like that.

It happens in many areas of lie though, not just football.

For example, if you pay attention to politics a lot, you will probably find someone who says something along the lines of "I don't pay any attention to politics because politicians are all crooks and your vote doesn't count anyway. I hate politics. I think people who get all worked up over politics are stupid." - Political snob

Or take a sport like Golf. If you have never played golf before then there is a 99% chance that watching golf on television is the most boring way you could possibly spend a Saturday afternoon. And you might even get mad at and resent a person who is forcing you to watch it because you are at a family party or something where the guy who owns the house wants to watch it. And someone around the room is thinking "I can't think of a bigger waste of time than going outside and chasing a little white ball around that you hit with a stick. Golf is dumb. Golfers are dumb." That person is a golf snob.

Or the guy who thinks it is barbaric to take a gun out in the woods and shoot small furry critters. He is a hunting snob. Shooting small furry critters or big furry critters or airborne feathered critters is the best sport in the world to some guys.

Or the woman who thinks you shouldn't have the right to take a gun to a sportsman's club and shoot at clay targets whizzing through the air just because she heard some kid shot another kid in the ghetto last night and that kid used one of those gun thingy's. So you shouldn't be able to have one of those gun thingy's either. Gun owners are stupid. She is a gun snob.

Snobs are everywhere. A lot of the football lovers here are probably Anti-sport snobs about some other sport.

Edited by PolishDave

You ever deal with these insufferable bastards? I'm not talking about guys that aren't really into sports. That's okay. Everybody has different hobbies. Different interests. That's not who I'm talking about.

The guys I'm talking about are the ones who feel they're morally/intellectually superior due to their lack of knowledge in sports. They love to interrupt other peoples' conversations about sports to let us know that they do better things with their time than to "watch a bunch of millionaire, overpaid crybabies play a child's game."

When the Super Bowl, or some other major sporting event is brought up, they make sure to let everybody know they "had no idea there a sportsball game today." Or "I was too busy [reading/spending time with my family/some other activity they find morally superior] to pay attention."

Sorry for the rant, but I've been dealing with these people all week, and needed to vent somewhere.

I never met anyone that did that ever... I believe they would get their ass kicked for doing something like that.

Great topic!

I will say a close second place is the guy who only follows baseball because it is such an "intellectual" sport. Think the George Will types.

Even better are the baseball "purists" who cry about the sport being "ruined." :lol:

While I don't necessarily think there's anything "wrong" with not following sports, I do think that anyone who claims "superiority" because they don't follow sports is an idiot.

In fact, whenever a person claims "superiority" because of something they do or don't do, I generally know this is not a person I'll ever waste my time on.

It seems to me that any grown man (or woman) would find it useful to at least be able to converse superficially on a wide variety of subjects, including sports.