Has a backup qb gone onto greatness somewhere else

judman

Agreed - but he still doesn't fit the criteria that the OP was looking for.

Right Gunner, I think I found my own meaning in OPs post. And valued Greatness with different criteria than who won the most in a team sport. If you ignore the SB record, He is the only QB that fits the criteria that took two different teams to the Superbowl. the 1-2 record holds him back i guess. Not in my book tho. 3 Superbowls from a dude who was working in a grocery store? thats amazing.

SuperBowl Win

SuperBowl Loss - Widley rumored the Pats knew the Rams 1st 15 calls and cheated.... I Dont know if thats true...

get benched....gets traded to NY gets benched plays back up....

Goes to AZ as a back up takes over as starter goes to Super Bowl, one play away from a 2nd SB win.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed - but he still doesn't fit the criteria that the OP was looking for.

it seems really easy but lost on a lot of posters.

find a guy on a rookie contract (or similar) that was never a starter. dude played mop up duty, and some games in injury situations, for instance.

The OP is just looking for one of those that was given a premium starters contract by another franchise without having been a real starter before. Id venture a metric of "success" of the acquisition would be the guy playing out that premium contract without being cut/benched.

Schaub, for instance, as an RFA in atlanta that had only thrown for 1033 yards in his career was traded for premium picks and given a 6 year 48m deal (which at the time was hefty)-- and he was more or less successful assuming the role of full time starter.

I sort of have the mental picture of Garappolo like the image of a pet resisting getting into a bathtub, clinging frantically to the faucets or the sides of the tub crying "No! No! NOoooooOOOOO!"

Like this

Use-cat-in-your-household-5.jpg

Could you blame him? Going from the Penthouse to the condemned building ina crime riddle neighborhood.. that's what it's like being traded from NE to Cleveland.

Right Gunner, I think I found my own meaning in OPs post. And valued Greatness with different criteria than who won the most in a team sport. If you ignore the SB record, He is the only QB that fits the criteria that took two different teams to the Superbowl. the 1-2 record holds him back i guess. Not in my book tho. 3 Superbowls from a dude who was working in a grocery store? thats amazing.

SuperBowl Win

SuperBowl Loss - Widley rumored the Pats knew the Rams 1st 15 calls and cheated.... I Dont know if thats true...

get benched....gets traded to NY gets benched plays back up....

Goes to AZ as a back up takes over as starter goes to Super Bowl, one play away from a 2nd SB win.

He doesn't fail on greatness. There is no question Kurt Warner was great.

it seems really easy but lost on a lot of posters.

find a guy on a rookie contract (or similar) that was never a starter. dude played mop up duty, and some games in injury situations, for instance.

The OP is just looking for one of those that was given a premium starters contract by another franchise without having been a real starter before. Id venture a metric of "success" of the acquisition would be the guy playing out that premium contract without being cut/benched.

Schaub, for instance, as an RFA in atlanta that had only thrown for 1033 yards in his career was traded for premium picks and given a 6 year 48m deal (which at the time was hefty)-- and he was more or less successful assuming the role of full time starter.

Indeed. Schaub fits the criteria (though some might argue about whether he was "successful" enough). Delhomme, Brunell and Hasselbeck.

Other than those 4 is there anyone else we have identified in the last 30 odd years who meets the criteria?

Pretty stupid of you to refer to him as "Janine." That doesn't even make sense.

I for one would love to see Jimmy as a Bill. The kid has talent and knows what good coaching is like. He would be a huge addition to the Bills.

Calling someone stupid for taking a shot at a Patriot? Do you know Janine personally to be so offended? Calm the F down.

Here's my list of dudes who were backups and ended up starters - success or not

Brunell - backed up Favre

Hasselbeck - backed up Favre

Aaron Brooks - backed up Favre

Schaub - backed up Vick

Elvis Grbac - Had some success, backed up Steve Young

Trent green - kind of? Took Frerottes job, got injured... Lost his STL job to Warner... ended up in KC where he was pretty good

Brad Johnson - backed up Moon, then Cunningham.. then played for like 3 other teams and won a super bowl

Jake Delhomme - backed up a few guys in NO before playing a bunch in carolina

Hostetler - played quite a few years for Oakland after backing up Simms

Chris Chandler - backup on quite a few teams before success with Atlanta (went to a super bowl)

Steve Beuerlein - Similar to chandler - mercenary backup/borderline. Sat behind aikman

Scott Mitchell - Sat behind Marino - had some decent success with detroit

Kyle Orton - Started a bunch, but was Grossmans backup. Ended up doing alright in denver, and alright in buffalo.

Stan Humphries - backed up Mark Rypien

Jeff Blake - Drafted and sat for NYJ - played a bunch for Cinn and a few other teams. Very little success

I just did mostly the 90s, because im only 29 and don't know much about before I was born.

So... theres what 1 super bowl win with Brad Johnson (hostetler won when he was a backup). Then 3 losers in Chandler, Delhomme, and hasselbeck. Wouldn't say much "greatness"...

Delhomme, Hasselbeck, and Brunell had some pretty solid sustained success FWIW.

Oh and one thing i noticed when i looked up hasselbeck - This atrocious stat line in the super bowl from big ben:

9/21 for 123 and 2 picks... He did add a TD on the ground... but the only TD pass was from Randle-el. Gross.

Edited by dneveu

Oh and one thing i noticed when i looked up hasselbeck - This atrocious stat line in the super bowl from big ben:

9/21 for 123 and 2 picks... He did add a TD on the ground... but the only TD pass was from Randle-el. Gross.

Yea Ben was brutal in that first Superbowl win. Hasselbeck is I think the pick of the bunch in answer to this question and it is worth pointing out that he moved WITH his Head Coach. Holmgren had him in Green Bay and then took him to Seattle. It was less of a "punt" than a Flynn or an Osweiler. The Walrus knew what he was getting.

Yea Ben was brutal in that first Superbowl win. Hasselbeck is I think the pick of the bunch in answer to this question and it is worth pointing out that he moved WITH his Head Coach. Holmgren had him in Green Bay and then took him to Seattle. It was less of a "punt" than a Flynn or an Osweiler. The Walrus knew what he was getting.

Ben's been a good QB in this era... but both super bowl wins were largely the defense... In the 2nd game they had an INT return for a TD, and a safety. In the first they had a few missed FGs, and the defense was clutch on 3rd down. So weird looking back as it'll be remembered as Ben won 2 super bowls - HOF worthy... Oh - and he can't beat brady... I'd put it as

1 - Brady

2 - P. Manning (Great numbers - 2 wins with 2 teams)

3 - Brees (His regular season numbers are ridiculous - and he put a hurting on peyton in his only win - 100+ QB rating in the playoffs)

4/5 - E. Manning (2-0 vs. brady in the super bowl - great postseason numbrers - knocked down from not having the best regular season numbers)

4/5 - Warner (Got there with 2 teams - also ridiculous regular season numbers - awesome games - only in the playoffs 5 times)

6 - Ben (2 wins - but no MVPs - Lousy playoff stats...)

And i totally unintentionally hijacked this thread

Edited by dneveu

Yup.

Thing is that even a mediocre to bad qb can string together enough to pass the eye test on 100 throws. You tend to have very low standards there, and if you flash anything people want to take a shot that you will progress. The stats don't even have to be great because there are so few good qbs

Because of that, the batting average on making those moves is very low.

I think playing out the starters contract is a decent bar napkin benchmark for calling the move "successful." Rarely will a player get 5-6 years to fail. At that point you belong as a starter even if you aren't elite, normally (I'm sure there's some exceptions)

Yup.

Thing is that even a mediocre to bad qb can string together enough to pass the eye test on 100 throws. You tend to have very low standards there, and if you flash anything people want to take a shot that you will progress. The stats don't even have to be great because there are so few good qbs

Because of that, the batting average on making those moves is very low.

I think playing out the starters contract is a decent bar napkin benchmark for calling the move "successful." Rarely will a player get 5-6 years to fail. At that point you belong as a starter even if you aren't elite, normally (I'm sure there's some exceptions)

With a rookie wage scale in place I think it may be more common now to grab other teams backups. You can sign a backup with upside - and add a player in the draft. You're then set for like 4 years with a low cap hit at QB. Build your roster elsewhere and hopefully in 4 years have your guy to extend.

The problem is the bidding war because its such an important position. Brock got way overpaid, and someones going to overpay in picks and money for Garroppolo. I didn't like Brock for 70 and 30 guaranteed. He was too unproven. Same goes for Jimmy G.

But a Mike Glennon/Nick Foles/AJ McCarron at a reasonable chase daniel pay grade - 3 years in the 20 millions with sub 10 guaranteed? If we drop Tyrod, that's the route I'd like to go. But I'd also want a QB in the first. Stay away from the Romo's and Jimmy's because their pay would prevent you from really doing what you're trying to do.

That sets us up with 2 options at a lower total hit than Tyrod. The only problem is you're not getting a major impact player at 10 (possibly overdrafting a QB there vs. getting a top 5 talent that may have slipped) , and you may get a significant drop off at the most important position on the field.

Edited by dneveu

But the OP wasn't talking about backups who ended up starting for the same team they backed up on. He was talking about someone who has only been a backup to that point getting picked up by a different team who make him their starter.

Kurt Warner was Eli Manning's backup. Then he went to Cardinals as Matt Lienert's backup and then became starter and went to SB. He qualifies.

The best stories arent about the people that win the most. Its about the people who lose the most and still find a way to win!

Thats kinda awesome. Vince McMahon couldnt have booked a better Wrestlemania rivalry than that. Heel Cowboys always win tho!

That SB Cardinals season was amazing tho. Warner was on fire. 2nd wind was crazy. If not for a lack luster defense he coulda had a 2nd ring.

Or if he hadn't thrown that pick six before the half. Or if the Stealers had been flagged for giving Fitz the business out of bounds when he was trying to get back on and chase down the guy with the football. He almost caught him.

Kurt Warner was Eli Manning's backup. Then he went to Cardinals as Matt Lienert's backup and then became starter and went to SB. He qualifies.

That's, again, not what it seems the OP is going for though. If the rams gave Kurt warner 10m a year to be their starter from day 1 after his euro experience would be the crossroad in his career arc.

Edited by NoSaint

Or if he hadn't thrown that pick six before the half. Or if the Stealers had been flagged for giving Fitz the business out of bounds when he was trying to get back on and chase down the guy with the football. He almost caught him.

That pick 6 was a heartbreaking game breaker :(

The best stories arent about the people that win the most. Its about the people who lose the most and still find a way to win!

Thats kinda awesome. Vince McMahon couldnt have booked a better Wrestlemania rivalry than that. Heel Cowboys always win tho!

That SB Cardinals season was amazing tho. Warner was on fire. 2nd wind was crazy. If not for a lack luster defense he coulda had a 2nd ring.

If not for the cheats, it could've been his third.

Brett Favre. Darryl Lamonica. Jim Plunkett. More to come

Aaron Rodgers was a back-up. Same team though

The guy who succeeded Joe Montana, Steve Young

don't forget Kurt Warner two superbowls....he, in fact was an arena football QB at one point.