The D&C keeps shrinking...and shrinking...and shrinking

I'm a bit of an anachronism, I realize this. I am in my 30s, and to me there's nothing quite like a cup of coffee and the physical newspaper in your hands on a weekend morning. We get the Sat-Sun D&C, and it's obvious what's happening to newspapers, especially in smaller cities like ROC. More and more national/syndicated content, advertisements masking as news (as if that flake that owns Salvatore's Pizza is really that interesting or newsworthy), and tired, cranky, third-rate sportwriters who are parked for decades in what will be the best gig they can ever find. It is what it is, it just kinda sucks.

I feel bad for people like my dad who is 86, goes to 6:30 am mass each day and reads the paper cover to cover over breakfast. I'm 49 and receive most of my information digitally.

Civilization moves on though, and just think what was common that is obsolete now, like the typewriter, beepers, and fax machines.

I feel bad for people like my dad who is 86, goes to 6:30 am mass each day and reads the paper cover to cover over breakfast. I'm 49 and receive most of my information digitally.

Civilization moves on though, and just think what was common that is obsolete now, like the typewriter, beepers, and fax machines.

Why should you feel bad for him, he probably really enjoys what he is doing.

I still read the Sunday Syracuse paper. If you grew up doing it there is quite bit of satisfaction in the process.

I'm a bit of an anachronism, I realize this. I am in my 30s, and to me there's nothing quite like a cup of coffee and the physical newspaper in your hands on a weekend morning. We get the Sat-Sun D&C, and it's obvious what's happening to newspapers, especially in smaller cities like ROC. More and more national/syndicated content, advertisements masking as news (as if that flake that owns Salvatore's Pizza is really that interesting or newsworthy), and tired, cranky, third-rate sportwriters who are parked for decades in what will be the best gig they can ever find. It is what it is, it just kinda sucks.

Small city newspapers like Rochester? Try The Hornell Evening Tribune where the top stories are that two dead rabbits were found in the front yard of a Dennis Ave, residence.

The Buffalo News is an anomaly right now-- as are all the papers under the Berkshire Hathaway umbrella. Just look at Tim Graham's article today on Bjorn Nittmo -- no paper allows that many words and that expense to chase down an issue like concussions and CTE in today's world.

No matter how you feel about Graham (I am a fan)-- the guy is talented at telling a story and the News allows him to do it...there are only a few papers left. The good news is the digital world gives papers like this a global market. Berkshire Hathaway has the resources to define that market.

LAMP: I was delivering the Courier Express one morning. Old school style with a paper bag over my shoulder.

These stray dogs started trailing me. The pack got bigger and some started getting aggressive. I shed the bag and fled home.

Turned out one of the ads in the paper had the scent of bacon for dog treats.

True story.

LAMP: I was delivering the Courier Express one morning. Old school style with a paper bag over my shoulder.

These stray dogs started trailing me. The pack got bigger and some started getting aggressive. I shed the bag and fled home.

Turned out one of the ads in the paper had the scent of bacon for dog treats.

True story.

:lol: :lol:

That is an awesome story.... Thanks man...

I read the online version hit and miss. My wife still gets the Sunday one delivered mainly for the ads and coupons.

Most large circulation papers (NYT, NYP, WSJ, LAT) have been shrinking the actual page size for years for the same reason, not as much content.

Surprised the D and C held out this long. Half the paper is USA Today for a while now anyway...

I look at the front page of Buffalo News every day just so I know what old people are going to be talking about

I've never actually bought a newspaper in my lifetime

I occasionally look ET and Yahoo celebrity to see what young people are talking about and find important.

Add an self-righteous and self-aggrandizing reporting and editorial staff and you've got it nailed right on the head! A pathetic paper that really deserves to slowly disappear.

TV is no better. Channel 6, Albany for two days reported hit and run in Pittsfield. No id until family notified. Person critical. Pittsfield Paper, Berkshire Eagle had victims name etc. and he had passed next day. Are there any true reporters out there any more? I had a news route for six years with the Buffalo Evening News and bought my own dog yummies and the dogs loved me.

I'm with you, Jimmy. I crank up the wood stove, grab a cup of coffee and read the local Sunday paper (Hartford Courant) cover to cover. The Courant is shedding local writers and content for national/syndicated content.

I get the physcial paper when at home in Niagara county...Buffalo News, that is. But, when in Florida.....I read the digital version. I can tell you the on line version is not as satisfying as the written word......despite the time delay. First of all, the website has little national news....I have to go to another website to get that coverage. (I subscribe to Wall Street journal for that) The hardcopy version has that national news as well.....and, I am not a slave to small screens. (I use both PC and iphone)

the Buffalo News continues to hold it together for the most part. When I am in Florida, I am still caught up with the local WNY news. For sports coverage, local is the only way...as the national media don't really give a rat about the Bills, Sabres, UB, Cansius, Niagara, St Bona and the high schools. And, NYS news is also well covered by Buff News....although I admit WSJ also has a NY section. As a Bills fan...I do occasional read an article from both the Rochester and Syracuse papers...as they do have beat writers, and those guys are sometimes better than the several dogs at Buff News. (only Carucci is on spot imho) (Joe Buscaglia is also btw) Anyhow, I hope the print news survives.......as I don't like national only coverage and the broadcast media is the drive by media to borrow a phrase.