Let's Talk Race Issues

Meathead

The reason you're fetching criticism from some of the other posters is because you don't sound like a disciple of MLK. quite the contrary, you're whining about your white privilege while spouting generalities and platitudes without any specifics or evidence of institutionalized racism. i, and i'm sure many others, get tired of being called a racist because i thought the ACA one of the worst pieces of legislation ever passed by the gov't or because i voted for Trump. your posts in the thread have not presented anything other than those same talking points. Yawn.

hahahahhahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

ok. you have NO idea what you are talking about. you even had the nerve to bring out the ultra popular yet almost completely useless talking point of white privilege. holy cow

not that it matters bc you will never answer this but exactly how many MLK books have you read? how many black churches have you visited? how many black folks have you volunteered to help on you own free time? how many stop the violence rallies have you attended? how many black women have you married?

dear lord, why do you saddle me with ppl like this?

huge filter points earned

I never said anything about banning you. I just think that you need to get over yourself and realize that you sound nothing like Dr King. You seem to regard African Americans as black people, instead of just treating them as fellow Americans. You pay too much attention to peoples' race, and then claim some kind of moral superiority over those of us that regard African Americans simply as people.

wow. ppl just log on and type any dumbass thing they want

its amazing after a lifetime full of accomplishments loving, partnering with, and marrying black ppl you could possibly form a sentence that includes an accusation that i dont consider black folks as fellow ppl or whatever crap you regurgitated

you know i have to apologize to any posters that want to do constructive valuable work here. i invented the mental ignore feature for trolls with nothing to add like these - and then i went and didnt use my own feature. im sorry i wasted everybodys time feeding these destructive elements and im going back to just letting them say any dumbass thing they want with no interference from me

im waiting for keepthefaith to return with some of his/her own observations before continuing in order to hopefully address several things at once and avoid the issue fatigue that ppl get on this topic if you throw too many things at once at them. but if we dont hear from him soon i will probably continue tomorrow and answer some of these questions as i have a very important medical procedure coming up on tuesday and i might not feel up to responding for a bit after that

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hahahahhahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

ok. you have NO idea what you are talking about. you even had the nerve to bring out the ultra popular yet almost completely useless talking point of white privilege. holy cow

not that it matters bc you will never answer this but exactly how many MLK books have you read? how many black churches have you visited? how many black folks have you volunteered to help on you own free time? how many stop the violence rallies have you attended? how many black women have you married?

dear lord, why do you saddle me with ppl like this?

huge filter points earned

its amazing after a lifetime full of accomplishments loving, partnering with, and marrying black ppl you could possibly form a sentence that includes an accusation that i dont consider black folks as fellow ppl or whatever crap you regurgitated

you know i have to apologize to any posters that want to do constructive valuable work here. i invented the mental ignore feature for trolls with nothing to add like these - and then i went and didnt use my own feature. im sorry i wasted everybodys time feeding these destructive elements and im going back to just letting them say any dumbass thing they want with no interference from me

im waiting for keepthefaith to return with some of his/her own observations before continuing in order to hopefully address several things at once and avoid the issue fatigue that ppl get on this topic if you throw too many things at once at them. but if we dont hear from him soon i will probably continue tomorrow and answer some of these questions as i have a very important medical procedure coming up on tuesday and i might not feel up to responding for a bit after that

You're a Tom Petty fan, aren't you?

Must be hot as hell in there in the summer. Maybe it's a satanic church.

it's in iceland if googlebot was correct.

there are some pretty cool black churchs out there on the images of google.

but still, amazing that "black churchs" is a thing. even "african american" churches.

i'm not a godly man but i think that god doesn't care what color you are or even if you are in church.

whether you recognize it or not, YOU are likely emotionally invested in that darkness and will resist the change that is necessary. that is all on you. YOU have to want to change YOU if you really want to fix this once and for all

fortunately we have a golden example staring us right in the face: the fact that we elected trump should be the shocker that wakes you up to the reality that we MUST do something different now. otherwise we are going to just keep resurrecting the specter of racism over and over again in different camouflaged forms. just when we think we might have finally vanquished it, it will rise again in a new form like some f***ed up phoenix from the ashes to plague us like its obviously done in this last election cycle

to be successful you will have to question the very fundamental nature of your race issue viewpoints and assumptions. most likely they are f***ed to the core. all we have to do is look at how brutally wrong our popular assumptions have consistently been on this topic to recognize we keep invented new ways screw this up. like we just did in november

enter of your own free will. the average american DESPERATELY needs to commit to taking this step. its highly likely you are one of them. but if you dont like it and want to decline, theres the door

lets get started

You would do much better in this discussion if you identified very specifically racial issues one by one. To say you're all over the place in this thread would be an understatement.

My own views focused on education....

The constant play of the race card in the media, among politicians and in society causes many to turn a deaf ear to cries of racism. Best thing we can do as Americans is to never make racism accusations without at least strong evidence of support. Next best thing we can do is to stop separating groups of people by race in news reports, political campaigns and everyday facets of life. Both of these habits (racism cries and analysis by racial groups) is divisive. Let's also stop asking people for their race on applications for admittance to schools and colleges, government job and contact applications and applications/registrations of any kind. Seriously, stop this practice.

As for all the "racial disparities" that are publicized, It's time to look past the racial element of such disparities and look at the underlying causes. I'll give you the tale of 2 nearby school districts. In a suburb of Chicago there is a school district with a policy of discouraging teachers from assigning homework. This is from their superintendent who has explained that their kids do not live in environments conducive to doing homework. This is a district of mostly minority students from lower income families. They all have computers as their district was given federal grants for Chromebooks for every student and they have at least one parent. Nonetheless, that is the district policy. Same district has a policy of not failing any student and that includes individual tests. If a student fails, they retake the test up to 3-4 times and if they still fail the teachers are instructed to assign a passing grade. Also students in this district regularly call the white teachers racists. The second school district neighbors the first one also a suburb and is more affluent and majority white. The policies are different, students sink or swim. Students get a lot of homework and parents for the most part make damn sure the homework is done and the parent expectations for these kids is much different. Most students are pushed by both parents, teachers and peers. The grades and test scores of district number 2 are much better than district 1. In fact district 2 produces a couple dozen national merit scholarship finalists each year and most are not white students. The winners are among all races.

Now at this stage of life, it's not likely that these kids from either district have often been victims of racism but the social and economic outcomes for both groups will prove to be very different. Parenting, behavior and lots of small decisions each day make the difference.

The single greatest failure by Obama and his wife who appear to be fine examples of good parenting is not to have driven this point home continuously during his Presidency. Instead he constantly played the race and victim cards. Good for him politically, bad for his party and bad for many who supported him.

Edited by keepthefaith

ty for your thoughtful reply. i wish we could get all participants in this hyper challenging topic to frame their comments this reasonably and this well

You would do much better in this discussion if you identified very specifically racial issues one by one. To say you're all over the place in this thread would be an understatement.

this is a very uniquely difficult subject to tackle. its like trying to put out a large scale fire with a thousand leaking propane pipes all over the place. if you stop to create a comprehensive plan the town will burn and you end up writing a book that nobody reads. so you are forced to address individual fires all of the place with no foundation of understanding or plan to build off of. so you have no choice but to try to put out fires and build a foundation at the same time

The constant play of the race card in the media, among politicians and in society causes many to turn a deaf ear to cries of racism. Best thing we can do as Americans is to never make racism accusations without at least strong evidence of support.

boy ive been beating that drum for many decades

al sharpton and tawana brawley. karl rowan shooting a white kid with an illegal pistol. david howard and the word "niggardly". cynthia mckinney attacking capitol building security guards. the list goes on and on

its only got much much worse since then. we throw out accusations of racism worse than joseph mccarthy threw out accusations of treason. and todays political correctness insists that no resistance be offered to the accusation lest you be considered even MORE of a racist

we have cheapened the word racism so badly that it has literally lost its meaning. racism is supposed to mean when you hate someone for no good reason, in this case the color of their skin. but stop and think what the actual working definition of racism is now in the minds of most americans: any time a white person makes any comment about a non-white person that isnt complimentary

that is a completely unworkable and actually highly destructive standard that not only doesnt do any good, it actively damages our chances to fix the problems we are trying to correct by creating a whole series of new and serious problems

i wholeheartedly agree, the accusation of racism should be an absolute last resort bc the damage done to all of us via false accusations is just as bad as the real racism we are trying to address

Next best thing we can do is to stop separating groups of people by race in news reports, political campaigns and everyday facets of life. Both of these habits (racism cries and analysis by racial groups) is divisive.

somewhat true but there are complications

first, race indeed is a real and valuable designation. each race has evolved strengths and weaknesses and there is great value in analyzing those differentiations and adjusting our standards appropriately. our lives are enriched if we can process these differences in a healthy manner and learn to celebrate them for the good they bring

the problem is we dont do that uniformly. take for instance our violent crime reporting. if the suspect is white and assaults a black person the race of the participants is literally included in the headline. if the race of the suspect is black and they attack a white person that information is omitted. we can say the same thing about crimes involving cops. this has set up a horrible double standard that actually programs our population to think in messed up terms about race right from the start. the point is we need to be consistent or we will be creating the same problem we are allegedly addressing

specifying race is only divisive bc we are screwing up the whole thing so badly we cant even get the benefit of leveraging the various unique cultural elements properly. we shouldnt cede that ground to the extremist mindsets simply bc they are screwing it up so badly

Let's also stop asking people for their race on applications for admittance to schools and colleges, government job and contact applications and applications/registrations of any kind. Seriously, stop this practice.

mostly agree

the only real use for that information now is analysis and there are very few other ways to gather it that easily in large quantities

but the potential for abuse is too great. i wouldnt mind seeing it mostly disappear. but its another example that if we werent screwing this whole thing up so badly we wouldnt have a problem with this practice either

Edited by Meathead

first, race indeed is a real and valuable designation. each race has evolved strengths and weaknesses and there is great value in analyzing those differentiations and adjusting our standards appropriately. our lives are enriched if we can process these differences in a healthy manner and learn to celebrate them for the good they bring

Adjusting standards based on race? Like giving white guys a head start in a 100 meter race?

If you want people to take you seriously, you need to drop the condescending, authoritarian attitude. You started a thread entitled "let's talk race issues", not "let me preach to all of you about race issues as I see them". The last thing you want is discussion. You're preaching. You've made up your mind already and are doing nothing but condescending. Any criticism or dissent is simply shrugged off as regurgitated crap. I say it again - get over yourself, you blowhard.

If you want people to take you seriously, you need to drop the condescending, authoritarian attitude. You started a thread entitled "let's talk race issues", not "let me preach to all of you about race issues as I see them". The last thing you want is discussion. You're preaching. You've made up your mind already and are doing nothing but condescending. Any criticism or dissent is simply shrugged off as regurgitated crap. I say it again - get over yourself, you blowhard.

You know who else used to preach under guise of "discussion?" Hitler...

(I will Godwin this dumbass thread, if it's the last thing I do.)

He hasn't even posted an argument. He's pontificating. He'll be tuned out shortly.

3.5 (But I've seen Blues Brothers a ton of times)

Every post in this thread needs to start with the number of black churches you've been in. Otherwise, you're not qualified to have an opinion on whatever is being talked about here.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/us/emmett-till-lynching-carolyn-bryant-donham.html

"For six decades, she has been the silent woman linked to one of the most notorious crimes in the nations history, the lynching of Emmett Till, a 14-year-old black boy, keeping her thoughts and memories to herself as millions of strangers idealized or vilified her.

But all these years later, a historian says that the woman has broken her silence, and acknowledged that the most incendiary parts of the story she and others told about Emmett claims that seem tame today but were more than enough to get a black person killed in Jim Crow-era Mississippi were false.

The woman, Carolyn Bryant Donham, spoke to Timothy B. Tyson, a Duke University professor possibly the only interview she has given to a historian or journalist since shortly after the episode who has written a book, The Blood of Emmett Till, to be published next week..."

You know who else used to preach under guise of "discussion?" Hitler...

(I will Godwin this dumbass thread, if it's the last thing I do.)

I'm pretty sure the this thread had effectively Godwined itself within the first few posts.