New Pro Bowl Format

SWATeam

the games a joke. I stopped watching a few years back. It's irrelevant and has no bearing on the League. No one takes it seriously.

and is dangerous for players. I believe the Patriots had their rookie RB tear up his knee at the probowl years ago that ended his career and Im sure others have been hurt as well. Just not worth it, should be just a giant skills challenge and that's it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, we may need to resurrect the thread about the best rivalries on the board!! Howard and Jimmy Spags is still my favorite.

:lol::lol:

That Beef Jerky vs Scott Law comment made me laugh. I didnt know there were so many rivalries here. Time to settle it in a steel cage boys!

and is dangerous for players. I believe the Patriots had their rookie RB tear up his knee at the probowl years ago that ended his career and Im sure others have been hurt as well. Just not worth it, should be just a giant skills challenge and that's it.

The irony is that was during a flag football game that was a part of the skills challenge...(Robert Edwards)

They might as well turn it back to that 70's show on ABC, I think it was called the Super Stars where LT and Mark Gastineau did that military press, and the obstacle course stuff. AFC vs. NFC

We can see if Watt really is the strongest guy in the NFL. That would be fun to watch.

They should line up every white guy in the NFL and determine who has the best motor.

BF68 - that was discussed to death yesterday on NFR, and a caller made the same suggestion. James Lofton responded with asking him the avg salary of a player playing in the PB. He said $750-800,000. James respond with try $7 mil. They can't incentivize them enough.

Lofton went on to point out the extra activities could be good like dodge ball. The PB is not meant to be a championship game rather just some entertainment and hopefully get to interact with some of the players. It was mentioned it was a very good decision to move it to Orlando as more football fans can afford to go, and more players will like going as they can take their kids to the parks, etc.

We had a conflict this year, but will take my younger son next year since i live an hour away. At least they went back to AFC vs. NFC.

The irony is that was during a flag football game that was a part of the skills challenge...(Robert Edwards)

They should line up every white guy in the NFL and determine who has the best motor.

They could call it the high motor lunch box type guy Bowl. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

BF68 - that was discussed to death yesterday on NFR, and a caller made the same suggestion. James Lofton responded with asking him the avg salary of a player playing in the PB. He said $750-800,000. James respond with try $7 mil. They can't incentivize them enough.

Lofton went on to point out the extra activities could be good like dodge ball. The PB is not meant to be a championship game rather just some entertainment and hopefully get to interact with some of the players. It was mentioned it was a very good decision to move it to Orlando as more football fans can afford to go, and more players will like going as they can take their kids to the parks, etc.

We had a conflict this year, but will take my younger son next year since i live an hour away. At least they went back to AFC vs. NFC.

Yes, that choosing up sides was really stupid. It was impossible to remember who was on which team. Having Bills players on both teams, you couldn't root for one team. The NHL tried the same thing which was equally stupid. Team Crosby vs Team Kane!

Of course the game is a joke...you can't play a legitimate football game where the guys aren't going all out and the rules don't allow for the same type of strategy as you'd see in a regular season game.

But that's not the point.

The game's purpose is to reward the players who had the best seasons. It's not supposed to be a real football game.

I get why the NFL moved this game to this weekend, but I still think this game/weekend should still be after the Super Bowl, just to get some of those two teams' players in the game.

Of course the game is a joke...you can't play a legitimate football game where the guys aren't going all out and the rules don't allow for the same type of strategy as you'd see in a regular season game.

But that's not the point.

The game's purpose is to reward the players who had the best seasons. It's not supposed to be a real football game.

I get why the NFL moved this game to this weekend, but I still think this game/weekend should still be after the Super Bowl, just to get some of those two teams' players in the game.

I agree, but I think that it has definitely gotten worse over the years. The Pro Bowls of the 90's looked intense when compared to what the game is today. The number of players who decline attending the game has also grown over the years. In my opinion that is the most embarrassing part of what the game has become. You shouldn't expect an intense game, but when fourth and fifth alternatives are on the field it's an embarrassment. As others have mentioned there is no way you can offer enough of an incentive for these guys to care. It's supposed to be a reward but I doubt that many players see it that way. Every NFL player can afford to fund their own trip to Orlando if they wanted. Only the thriftiest of guys would remotely appreciate the free trip element of it. The majority of NFL players aren't thrifty, and probably don't see a free trip as having much value.

They have a couple of things still that can push it ahead. They should tie large charitable donations into the players that go. That is very important to these guys. That's how you get players involved, but the NFL is so stupid they haven't figured that out yet.

Secondly, the feature event should be an NFL's fastest man competion. It would be like the old days but not necessarily just the Pro Bowlers. It would be like the dunk contest. What if you had 50 guys (or whatever) and do heats to narrow it down. People would love to watch Tyreke Hill, Goodwin, etc... race to determine who is the fastest man in the league.

yes. This. Decathlon would be sweet. A 100m swim. And a 400m swim would be hilarious when won by someone like Wilfork.

Instead of just pro bowl selections teams voted their rep for those.

As far as the pro bowl. Make it 4Q's @ 8 min per. the winning team then wins the coin flip in superbowl

I honestly don't know why so many people get outraged by this game. I maybe watch 10 minutes of it each year, as I could care less. I'm just glad they moved it to Orlando as more regular fans can go so the little guys get to see their favorite player. Nice father / son trip.

you could care less than the game? Or you could not care less?

Have them dress in blue collared jerseys and carrying a lunch pail

I would be in favor of scrapping the game altogether and simply keeping the distinction/award of being named an All-Pro via a voting system that includes coaches, players, and fans.

Maybe add in a bonus system that if youre named all pro you earn a $$$ bonus that doesnt count against the cap and then a % of that goes to charity. I dunno. That way players get the distinction and an actual monetary award and a trophy (kinda like gold glove or bat in baseball). And leave it at that.

Players could then actually use that during contract negotiations bc winning the award for your position actually means something.

Give 2-3 awards per position.

Edited by bobobonators

I keep saying it but if they want to make it work they need to tie in the player's charities. This was a big initiative that NBA teams started about 6-7 years ago to get players to do things that they hated (or appearances). They would tie the players appearances into causes that they were passionate about and/or make a donation to their foundation. It works.

The Pro Bowl should make a $100K donation to the charity of the choice for every player. In addition, they should select the top player at each position group (like the senior bowl does) and make a million dollar donation on behalf of those guys. You can even give a larger share of the donation to the winners. You will see guys care. In addition, this should be where they honor and recognize the Walter Payton Man of the Year candidates.

It is great exposure for a league that has legitimate character concerns. More people will play and the quality of play will increase. The ratings will increase in turn. You need to make it matter to the players.