Perhaps Dennison should adapt to the Bills existing offense.

gjv001

If Tyrod Taylor is retained, would it not be best to keep the same offense

that we've been running the past two years. Why scrap a top ten scoring

offense and instill a new one that will necessitate a learning curve.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah lets keep 1970s football that is not good enough to win when needed because it Hides a QB that is not good enough to win when needed.

I hope we retain Tyrod just because we'll get to read all these lovely tidbits for another 2 year period (or longer!). You hate Tyrod more than I like anyone on buffalo. It's wonderful!

nah they'll do it the way its always done, blow it all up, start over with completely new defense and offense and suck for three years while the "roster is fit to the scheme" or " players get enough reps". blah blah, it, plus the GOAT and the Pats all adds up to three more years of no playoffs and all around suck. and the wheel goes round

I think it would make sense to review what they did last year to get a feel as to what worked and didn't. The offenses tend to be the same just different terminology. Shady for example likes play out of the pistol for his running plays. He is farther back and can see more of what's in front of him.

I hope we retain Tyrod just because we'll get to read all these lovely tidbits for another 2 year period (or longer!). You hate Tyrod more than I like anyone on buffalo. It's wonderful!

No actually I don't. I hate EJ more. But he is gone and it is decided he is not good enough. Sorry I just want Modern Football with the QB to match

I don't think it's a given that Dennison should adapt to the existing offense at all. Who's to say Taylor wouldn't be even better in Dennison's preferred system? Other than the coaches, I mean.

Because Dennison's base system has WCO princibles which rely on short timing throws which isn't Tyrod strong suit. Of course the good thing of Dennison working with Tyrod in 2014 he'll know if he's improved since then. My thoughts is we'll let him go as can't see us committing to him long term and can sign a stop gap Cutler/Foles for less money and less years.

Because Dennison's base system has WCO princibles which rely on short timing throws which isn't Tyrod strong suit. Of course the good thing of Dennison working with Tyrod in 2014 he'll know if he's improved since then. My thoughts is we'll let him go as can't see us committing to him long term and can sign a stop gap Cutler/Foles for less money and less years.

I've said in several threads that given how dissimilar Roman's system is we haven't seen much of anything from TT to suggest he can run Dennison's preferred schemes.

That doesn't mean he can't, necessarily. Although I'm inclined to think he's not best suited for the for that kind of offense, especially operating from under center and the play action aspects of that particular system, he has been exposed to it and Dennison coached him, so I'm not convinced the coaches necessarily agree with me, either.

We'll know soon enough if the coaches think he's the guy or not.

If Tyrod Taylor is retained, would it not be best to keep the same offense

that we've been running the past two years. Why scrap a top ten scoring

offense and instill a new one that will necessitate a learning curve.

Maybe not keep the same offence, but modify Dennison's system to fit the personnel that we have.

Yet somehow the Fish with a rookie head coach was able to make the playoffs this year even with GOAT and Patsies** etc.

They beat us twice... and the Jets twice. There's the difference.

They also had a negative point differential and got blown out a few times. Beat SD on an INT return for a TD, beat the Jets with a KR TD, went to OT with cleveland, and that game against LA that LA essentially gave them. Oh - and they beat 1 team with a winning record (pittsburgh). They were the same team as us - just not buffalo so they get some luck on their side.

Edited by dneveu

I've said in several threads that given how dissimilar Roman's system is we haven't seen much of anything from TT to suggest he can run Dennison's preferred schemes.

That doesn't mean he can't, necessarily. Although I'm inclined to think he's not best suited for the for that kind of offense, especially operating from under center and the play action aspects of that particular system, he has been exposed to it and Dennison coached him, so I'm not convinced the coaches necessarily agree with me, either.

We'll know soon enough if the coaches think he's the guy or not.

Tyrod's preseason numbers in 2014 under the Kubiak system in Baltimore are solid but watching in last two years don't see him as a good move the chains keep drives alive with dink a d dunk passing that I associate with the WCO.

Tyrod's preseason numbers in 2014 under the Kubiak system in Baltimore are solid but watching in last two years don't see him as a good move the chains keep drives alive with dink a d dunk passing that I associate with the WCO.

Nobody runs the traditional west coast offense anymore so I'm not too concerned about "dink and dunk" which really doesn't capture the essence of the WCO anyway, imo. There have always been medium and long routes incorporated into the WCO, going back to its inception. While I agree TT hasn't shown much to suggest he can flourish in a passing game predicated on timing and play action fakes and operating from under center the majority of time, I'm not sure Dennison would agree with me on that given his coaching experience with Taylor. We'll know soon enough.

According to article he doesn't adapt it unless QB forces it. This is what appears to generated original post.

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/bills-qampa-break-down-of-bills-offensive-coordinator-rick-dennison-from-denver-20170123

But it is mostly what fans report and fans are often very irrational.

Q: Over the past two years, Dennison worked with Peyton, Osweiler, Siemian, and Lynch. Did he adjust things for each?

The short answer is not really. Peyton Manning forced Rico and Gary Kubiak to adjust, but every other quarterbacks needed to fit into their scheme. One of Broncos fans biggest complaints in the last two years was a complete lack of creativity and adjustments on offense.

According to article he doesn't adapt it unless QB forces it. This is what appears to generated original post.

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/bills-qampa-break-down-of-bills-offensive-coordinator-rick-dennison-from-denver-20170123

But it is mostly what fans report and fans are often very irrational.

A coach would have to be an idiot not to let Peyton Manning take the reigns and run and offense the way he sees fit. It would have been irresponsible to make Manning conform.

And I'm not sure how "creative" a coach can get with the likes of Osweiler, Siemian, and Lynch. Fans really need to understand how lack of experience can limit the play calling much of the time, especially with the OLine Denver trotted out this year.

But you can't fire the players as they say.

Nobody runs the traditional west coast offense anymore so I'm not too concerned about "dink and dunk" which really doesn't capture the essence of the WCO anyway, imo. There have always been medium and long routes incorporated into the WCO, going back to its inception. While I agree TT hasn't shown much to suggest he can flourish in a passing game predicated on timing and play action fakes and operating from under center the majority of time, I'm not sure Dennison would agree with me on that given his coaching experience with Taylor. We'll know soon enough.

To me the fundamental WCO is a short passing game to RBs and WRs/TEs to set up the run. I just.dont see this from Tyrod as instead Tyrod exceeds in deep passing open up the defense for him to run or dump off to a RB.