Brady's Legacy

A lot of us missed the sarcasm because we have heard so many idiot talking heads take this point of view. (ESPN First Take) I mean you literally had Stephen A. Sitting there listing all the QBs Brady lost to as a reason why he isn't as good as Montana.

Stephen A is a complete toolbox. That said, I think Montana was better.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen A is a complete toolbox. That said, I think Montana was better.

I love Montana man was just fun to watch play. All I know is Brady deserves be in the discussion as well any man who has gone to his conference championship more than 70% of the time deserves that much.

I will admit, for the first 10 years of his dominance of the Bills/NFL I marveled at his accomplishments and often rooted for him when not playing the Bills. The tuck rule/fumble game which I have since changed my opinion on(Raiders got robbed)

Something kicked in after all the negative *cheats type occurences and total beat downs of the Bills over the years and the shine wore off. That and those *!@#$s seemed to love to rub our face in the mud every chance they got, leaves a bad taste in the mouth!

All that being said, gotta give the girl her do. She's earned it after all.

Brady is arguably the best QB to play the game. It is hard to compare QBs from different eras. Montana had the advantage of playing during a time when you could keep championship teams together. Brady has primarly played in an era where rules allow for a much greater advantage in the passing game for elite QBs, even without HOF caliber receivers. Any way you argue it, he is still one of the best ever.

But who was an middle-tier QB 30 years ago? Neil Lomax? Was he better than Matthew Stafford and Eli Manning? I realize they took more physical abuse but they definitely were not better at throwing footballs.

So guys putting up pinball numbers in an era when it's much easier to pass the ball means they are better QBs? How do you know what those players would have / could have done? Overall, teams can't keep players together as long and aren't allowed to hit in practice or even have two a days in camp . Coaches have to dumb things down because players aren't ready. The overall quality of play in the league is worse.

I love Montana man was just fun to watch play. All I know is Brady deserves be in the discussion as well any man who has gone to his conference championship more than 70% of the time deserves that much.

Yep , in the discussion.

So spying on the Defensive signals with a camera shut down the Rams High Flying O??? OOOOOK! The second win Bradybhad over 300 yard and I think 3 TDs so no idea how that held them back!

Yes knowing the other teams signals does help you win....

The second game - he had 236 yards and 2 TDs. AKA the kind of game Bills fans are getting out of TT, and want to replace him with someone else.

That is also the game where one Eagle defender was recorded saying, and I'm paraphrasing here because I don;t remember the quote exactly, "Man, they knew exactly when we were going to blitz, they knew exactly what coverage we were going to be in. Man it was surreal, it was like they were in our defensive huddle with us"

I'm sorry but barely winning two SBs on last second FGs, Whilst knowing your opponents plays ahead of time, is not impressive to me. In fact I find it quite embarrassing. They should have won by 40 if they knew the other teams plays.

YEAR before Cassel (same team) 18-1 year 13 -1 so combined 31-2.. yup not even close.

All that proves in Brady is a better cheater than Cassell. PLus you lost Randy "Push-Off" Moss in 2008.

Also if you start using complete sentences I will have an easier time deciphering what you are intending to say.

So spying on the Defensive signals with a camera shut down the Rams High Flying O??? OOOOOK! The second win Bradybhad over 300 yard and I think 3 TDs so no idea how that held them back!

They spied on the Rams red zone practice before the bowl. They got a red zone interception in a very close game. Probably had an impact on the outcome.

Yes knowing the other teams signals does help you win....

The second game - he had 236 yards and 2 TDs. AKA the kind of game Bills fans are getting out of TT, and want to replace him with someone else.

That is also the game where one Eagle defender was recorded saying, and I'm paraphrasing here because I don;t remember the quote exactly, "Man, they knew exactly when we were going to blitz, they knew exactly what coverage we were going to be in. Man it was surreal, it was like they were in our defensive huddle with us"

I'm sorry but barely winning two SBs on last second FGs, Whilst knowing your opponents plays ahead of time, is not impressive to me. In fact I find it quite embarrassing. They should have won by 40 if they knew the other teams plays.

All that proves in Brady is a better cheater than Cassell. PLus you lost Randy "Push-Off" Moss in 2008.

Also if you start using complete sentences I will have an easier time deciphering what you are intending to say.

Nope, Moss was still on the team in 2008. They lost him 4 games into the 09 season when his attitude got him traded to Minn for a 5th.

As for 2003 SB, it was 2003! Brady had an excellent game that day. Also in 2001 the D scored almost as many point as the O (Ty Law returned an INT for TD) so using the camera made no difference there. Also I been told (but to lazy really check) that using a video camera wasn't illegal till 2006?

(Sorry for the bad sentences, at work and on my phone so rushed and an itty bitty keyboard lol)

I hope some of you kept reading and saw that my OP was 100% sarcastic. Even if they do lose, Brady's legacy is still bolstered by winning another conference championship. Conference championships are good. It's why the Bills have like eight hall of famers from that era.

Sometimes it's hard to tell but I'm glad to hear it

They spied on the Rams red zone practice before the bowl. They got a red zone interception in a very close game. Probably had an impact on the outcome.

FALSE! Why I hate ESPN! This report has been proven false and the paper who wrote it retracted it Within a week. (Yet ESPN runs it every couple of years or so then retracts it at like Misnight on a Sunday.)

(ANY anger read into this post is directed at ESPN and not the poster.)

Edited by PatsFanNH

FALSE! Why I hate ESPN! This report has been proven false and the paper who wrote it retracted it Within a week. (Yet ESPN runs it every couple of years or so then retracts it at like Misnight on a Sunday.)

You hate the Exceptiionally $chitty Patriots Network? Only NFLN is worse . And nothing has been proven false. We know they spied and the NFL destroyed the evidence. That's what we know

Edited by Boatdrinks

(ANY anger read into this post is directed at ESPN and not the poster.)

Thats not false at all. you seem to be in denial.

You hate the Exceptiionally $chitty Patriots Network? Only NFLN is worse

Patriots network? You mean reporting the 11-12 balls were more than 2psi lower than the league minimum? Even AFTER the truth came out (1 was that low and it was the one the colts INT) they never retracted the story. Ya they "love" the Pats. They are the NFL Lap dog.

Thats not false at all. you seem to be in denial.

Look it up. The story was RETRACTED by the paper that wrote it within a week. The story was retracted because it was FALSE. Just because you heard it and it was written in a paper doesn't make it true. Just like when Morenssen said 11 out of 12 balls were deflated more than 2 psi lower than the league minimum. That was ALSO FALSE.

Ahh, he seems to me GOAT. He benefits from a system perfectly suited to his skill set and a coach who is GOAT.

Montana also benefited from a system suited to his strengths and an offensive genius for a coach.

It's hard to be successful otherwise. Fortune plays a role even when one has superlative talent.

Still, longevity is a factor. 39 and still no discernible drop-off. On the other hand, I don't recollect anyone questioning Montana's honor.

We all know that, as it stands, Brady's 4-2 Super Bowl record pales in comparison to Montana's undefeated 4-0 record (as well as Bradshaw's). Even with a win in two weeks, 5-2 still can't eclipse going undefeated like Montana, whom he can never catch. I think, interestingly enough, he may have been better off losing yesterday because if they do in fact lose to the high flying Falcons now, and his Super Bowl record drops all the way to 4-3, his legacy takes an enormous hit. At that point, you may have to start elevating such undefeated Super Bowl QB's as Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco- certainly Eli Manning- to maybe not all time greater QB's than Brady, but definitely all time greater Super Bowl performing QB's. As has been established on this board, playing in the Super Bowl is a very dangerous game- if you win, obviously your legacy is elevated. But if you lose, your legacy takes a hit and you're better off having not made it in the first place. For instance, a guy like Donovan McNabb is a far greater all time QB for losing all those NFC Championship games than he would be if he won them but lost in the Super Bowl. Shall be very interesting to see how this plays out in a couple weeks.

How long did it take you to come up with this load of trash. Brady is great by any metric ever devised by the most ardent haters. Remember it may be established on this board but it is still on the internet. And if you follow this line of thinking then Kelly must be one of the worst Quarterbacks to ever play the game. Sad and pathetic.

You hate the Exceptiionally $chitty Patriots Network? Only NFLN is worse . And nothing has been proven false. We know they spied and the NFL destroyed the evidence. That's what we know

If your read the retraction, in there they even state that the reporter truly had no source and made it up. This is why I called it false.

Edited by PatsFanNH

The boston globe tweeted yesterday that BB was the greatest coach ever. Luke russert retweeted and stated that Barry Bonds was the greatest hitter since Ted Williams, but his obituary cannot be written without the word "cheater" in it. I'm paraphrasing the tweet since I cannot access Twitter at work...

With that said, yes, Tom Brady is a great QB, but you cannot write his obituary without mentioning cheating.

Can you seriously downgrade Brady's performance because of 'deflategate' . That's absurd. Not that the Patriots or Brady need me defending them, but this is the longest dynasty in NFL history and nothing can take anything away from that. It's uncanny on how the come up big practically every time for so many years with so many different key players.

Probably the best ever.

It's not his fault his coach is a dbag and spied on rivals.

I really don't care about Deflategate. I wanted him suspended, but it was mostly not to have to play him.

One thing always got me about Spygate is this.. Why wasn't the Defense already using headsets like the offense to call in plays? It made no sense to me why they did it with hand signals. Edited by PatsFanNH

How Brady's legacy can be questioned or even diminished at this point is beyond absurd.

He's one of the greatest to ever lace them up and there is simply no point in trying to minimize that. It reeks of insecurity, too.

I never engage in debates about "best ever" as it's futile to compare players across eras. Brady has a seat at the table of the greatest ever.

And it's a round table.