Capaccio: Sammy Undergoes 2nd Foot Surgery

This is a good read in Dez Bryant's injury by a former NFL team doctor. Dez had a very similar injury, had first surgery in September 2015, came back and played in 2nd part of year, and then had a 2nd surgery in January 2016. His second surgery was same timing as Sammy in regard to the next season.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/dez-bryant-foot-fracture-and-bone-graft-top-10-things-to-know/

As far as Edelman, he didn't have his second surgery until last May so cut it very close to TC. It's anywhere from a 4-12 week recovery time but then as we saw, it takes time to get re-acclimated. Sammy will have over 7 months.

It's a 4-12 week recovery time, yet Sammy had his first surgery in April 2016. He was out until December. This is what why some of us are concerned. We can talk about Dez and Julio all we want. Sammy isn't Dez or Julio. He might be all good next season. However, it's not like it's crazy that some of us are expressing concerns with this.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a 4-12 week recovery time, yet Sammy had his first surgery in April 2016. He was out until December. This is what why some of us are concerned. We can talk about Dez and Julio all we want. Sammy isn't Dez or Julio. He might be all good next season. However, it's not like it's crazy that some of us are expressing concerns with this.

He actually re-injured it in September when a teammate stepped on his foot. That is why he was out until November. He was not just still recovering from his May surgery.

Its reasonable to be concerned that he's seemingly injury prone. It's also reasonable to think that as with other WRs who have had both surgeries, he will be ready to go and like the injury never happened by TC along with a re-acclimation process that is expected.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He actually re-injured it in September when a teammate stepped on his foot. That is why he was out until November. He was not just still recovering from his May surgery.

Its reasonable to be concerned that he's seemingly injury prone. It's also reasonable to think that as with other WRs who have had both surgeries, he will be ready to go and like the injury never happened by TC along with a re-acclimation process that is expected.

True I forgot about that, but I'll take a wild guess that it'll probably get stepped on again during practice or game action. Hopefully this time it doesn't keep him out for most of the season.

Yolo,

I thought there was talk before the "teammate stepped on his foot" that he was struggling and could barely get through practices.

Kinda hard to be a WR in the NFL if your foot can't stand being stepped on, especially if it's a known injury.

Yolo,

I thought there was talk before the "teammate stepped on his foot" that he was struggling and could barely get through practices.

Kinda hard to be a WR in the NFL if your foot can't stand being stepped on, especially if it's a known injury.

That's my issue. I understand that Dez and Julio had the same surgery. The problem is that I have a gut feeling that this is different. Dez and Julio both had their surgery in a span of less than 6 months apart. They each missed a season and were good to go. Sammy had the first surgery and about five months later got stepped on. He was out most of the season and now 9 months later he's having the second surgery. I worry that it will now impact a second season. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the fact that the foot stomp story either doesn't add up, or its reason to be afraid. Feet get stepped on every game. If that's all it takes Sammy's career is over. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Yolo,

I thought there was talk before the "teammate stepped on his foot" that he was struggling and could barely get through practices

his foot was sore after Baltimore and they did an X-ray to see if it was re-damaged and it wasn't. just going by what was reported - his foot was stepped on and that was the setback.

That's my issue. I understand that Dez and Julio had the same surgery. The problem is that I have a gut feeling that this is different. Dez and Julio both had their surgery in a span of less than 6 months apart. They each missed a season and were good to go. Sammy had the first surgery and about five months later got stepped on. He was out most of the season and now 9 months later he's having the second surgery. I worry that it will now impact a second season. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the fact that the foot stomp story either doesn't add up, or its reason to be afraid. Feet get stepped on every game. If that's all it takes Sammy's career is over.

Gut feeling? Are you a doctor? Are you even in the medical field? Or have you at least had the same injury and surgeries?

Gut feeling? Are you a doctor? Are you even in the medical field? Or have you at least had the same injury and surgeries?

I never said I was a doctor or had the same injuries as Sammy. In fact I explained everything that concerned me in the post that you responded to. Everyone wants to compare this to Dez and Julio but I see some differences. When I figure out a better way to articulate those differences I will make a more coherent post in the future. I just get the feeling that it is going to be more troublesome for Sammy than it was for those guys. I never based my "gut feeling" on any facts. I just get the feeling that injuries may derail Sammy's career in Buffalo. His foot is going to get stepped on a lot more considering the fact that he plays a contact sport. Neither Dez nor Julio were out for getting their foot stepped on. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

They also did not rush back after the second one. They need to really not push him. Let it come along at its own pace... if that means he doesn't play in pre-season and isn't full go by week 1 that is not the end of the world. I'd rather have him use weeks 1-3 as his pre-season and slowly increase his snap count as he gets up to speed and have him fill go for the rest of the season rather than having him hurt and hobbled but out there.

This.

Give Sammy Matt Ryan and a dome to play in.

Dude imagine Watkins with Julio Jones with Matt Ryan on the Falcons? That would be a crazy offense to watch.

I never said I was a doctor or had the same injuries as Sammy. In fact I explained everything that concerned me in the post that you responded to. Everyone wants to compare this to Dez and Julio but I see some differences. When I figure out a better way to articulate those differences I will make a more coherent post in the future. I just get the feeling that it is going to be more troublesome for Sammy than it was for those guys. I never based my "gut feeling" on any facts. I just get the feeling that injuries may derail Sammy's career in Buffalo. His foot is going to get stepped on a lot more considering the fact that heplays a contact sport. Neither Dez nor Julio were out for getting their foot stepped on.

Do you think it's worse to be out after getting your foot stepped on or not getting it stepped on?