Capaccio: Sammy Undergoes 2nd Foot Surgery

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't look good imo. Dez and Julio both had their surgeries performed closer together than Sammy. Dez had surgery at the beginning of a season, and again at the end. He was ready to go the next season. Julio also had his surgery separated by only a few months. Sammy is having the second surgery further after the first than those guys. The first surgery ruined this season for him. Now we are going through it again hearing that he "should be ready for training camp". It just sounds concerning. Dez and Julio only lost one season due to the two foot surgeries. If this surgery ends up like the last it could cause Sammy to lose two seasons because of the foot. That would not be good news for his career.

Perhaps we should just wait and see what happens before declaring Sammy out for next year.

At least he's getting it over with now so he can start healing right away and not waiting till 2 months before the season starts. He's a WR who has had a bum foot for two years now and still was moderately productive when available to play... in pain. If he heals completely like all are hoping and whomever our QB is (not getting into that in a Sammy thread) treats him like the stud he is, he will be a monster for us. Even when the ball wasn't being thrown his way he was still open many, many times, with a broken foot... Let's hope all goes to plan and he gets back 100% next season. The kid is a gamer for sure.

Exactly. With Sammy you never know when he will be healthy. I'll believe it when I see it. As should all Bills fans by now.

The Falcons should have ran Julio Jones out of town when he had the same problem. Took two surgeries too. That would have taught the bum.

Saw this one coming. Julio had two as did Dez.

They also did not rush back after the second one. They need to really not push him. Let it come along at its own pace... if that means he doesn't play in pre-season and isn't full go by week 1 that is not the end of the world. I'd rather have him use weeks 1-3 as his pre-season and slowly increase his snap count as he gets up to speed and have him fill go for the rest of the season rather than having him hurt and hobbled but out there.

Did Watkins step on a land mine or something? Jason Pierre Paul came back from blowing up his hand faster than Watkins' foot is healing.

The foot doesn't seem too complicated but the feet support all the weight. There is also precedent for pro athletes requiring multiple surgeries to get it right with NBA players like Grant Hill, Bill Walton, Ilgauskas to name a few.

Strange place to put a toilet.

Hey, that could be a new invention. As slow as they move, on the clips I've seen, why not kill 2 birds with one stone. He might not make it up there in time otherwise.

At least he's getting it over with now so he can start healing right away and not waiting till 2 months before the season starts. He's a WR who has had a bum foot for two years now and still was moderately productive when available to play... in pain. If he heals completely like all are hoping and whomever our QB is (not getting into that in a Sammy thread) treats him like the stud he is, he will be a monster for us. Even when the ball wasn't being thrown his way he was still open many, many times, with a broken foot... Let's hope all goes to plan and he gets back 100% next season. The kid is a gamer for sure.

You mean like the Shaq Lawson surgery?

Without sounding too whiny is there any reason that he dressed week 17 in a meaningless game instead of having surgery almost a month ago?

I suspect the answer if that you needed to give the foot some time to rest - after playing hobbled for 5 or 6 weeks I imagine there was significant swelling. But it is a fair point that they could have started that process straight after the Miami game. Another week running around on it will not have helped.

Without sounding too whiny is there any reason that he dressed week 17 in a meaningless game instead of having surgery almost a month ago?

after that game, Sammy said he still didn't think he needed the surgery. He wasn't advised of this until his end of season physical. Edited by YoloinOhio

after that game, Sammy said he still didn't think he needed the surgery. He wasn't advised of this until his end of season physical.

They could have (and should have) started the process the second that they were eliminated. There was no reason to wait a month. It may end up being nothing but the sooner you start the sooner he can get back on the field. If he misses some of camp or worse a week or 2 of the season it's a big mistake. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The foot doesn't seem too complicated but the feet support all the weight. There is also precedent for pro athletes requiring multiple surgeries to get it right with NBA players like Grant Hill, Bill Walton, Ilgauskas to name a few.

Hey, that could be a new invention. As slow as they move, on the clips I've seen, why not kill 2 birds with one stone. He might not make it up there in time otherwise.

You mean like the Shaq Lawson surgery?

Well didn't want to name anyone but.... yea. Although I still have high hopes for Lawson as a 4-3 end in the upcoming season.

Seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Don't play in Week 17 and continue to have your toughness and commitment questioned, especially when you may not be clear additional surgery is needed. Play through week 17 and have your intelligence and commitment questioned because you didn't make a different decision with knowledge you didn't have a month ago.