The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Seems like an accomplished cork soaker/sniffer like you would find it no matter how short it was. 

Hoax.  I’m not an accomplished cork soaker/sniffer.  

I noticed you used the word “was” in your most recent post.  That usage suggests that a previously-existing wine cork is no more.  It seems as if you have gone from a little wine cork to no wine cork at all.  Perhaps that has something to do with all of your anger and frustration. 

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Hoax.  I’m not an accomplished cork soaker/sniffer.  

I noticed you used the word “was” in your most recent post.  That usage suggests that a previously-existing wine cork is no more.  It seems as if you have gone from a little wine cork to no wine cork at all.  Perhaps that has something to do with all of your anger and frustration. 

Once again, 3rd Chair is begging for a cork screw. 

2 hours ago, GG said:

SCOTUS clears way for Dominion pipeline to "cross" the Appalachian trail and bring much needed natural gas to the East Coast.  The 7-2 vote is highly notable.

Seems like it was a fairly technical case about permitting, which should have been 9-0.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 2

I wish I could bask in some of this economic optimism, but I’m not mentally there now. I get the desire to glom onto any positive news, and yes there is a powerful collective psychological component at play in economics that can singlehandedly fuel recoveries and that we want to nurture. But we always knew the economy would bounce back to SOME degree immediately following the quarantine, even if the details were poorly understood since an economic crisis like this has never played itself out before in our lifetimes.

Ok so perhaps here is where l have major disagreements in opinion with many of y’all, but to me the basic fundamental predicament still remains in that our entire political class has quite insufficiently intervened in the economic side of the pandemic (and the health one too). Furthermore, the deep economic structural flaws that were oppressing the American working class before March have only been amplified from the effects of the quarantine. The worst very likely has yet to come and could possibly start as early as August with a renter/homeowner housing calamity.

I’ll use a fun football analogy to frame the situation: the economic recovery is the Bills. The Patriots are neoliberalism. The refs are our crony capitalists and political leaders. Let’s maybe say Ernie Adams is the Federal Reserve. The Bills are losing to the Patriots 28-0 late in the first quarter. EJ Manuel (small business employers) just completed a totally sweet 20-yard post route across midfield to TJ Graham (low wage employees living paycheck to paycheck). We’re all celebrating and starting to believe the Bills can pull this off. Wait…stop. Lame football analogy. I’ll explain myself better in this thread (with facts and data!) when I have more time later this month.

14 minutes ago, RealKayAdams said:

I wish I could bask in some of this economic optimism, but I’m not mentally there now. I get the desire to glom onto any positive news, and yes there is a powerful collective psychological component at play in economics that can singlehandedly fuel recoveries and that we want to nurture. But we always knew the economy would bounce back to SOME degree immediately following the quarantine, even if the details were poorly understood since an economic crisis like this has never played itself out before in our lifetimes.

Ok so perhaps here is where l have major disagreements in opinion with many of y’all, but to me the basic fundamental predicament still remains in that our entire political class has quite insufficiently intervened in the economic side of the pandemic (and the health one too). Furthermore, the deep economic structural flaws that were oppressing the American working class before March have only been amplified from the effects of the quarantine. The worst very likely has yet to come and could possibly start as early as August with a renter/homeowner housing calamity.

The deep economic structural flaws oppressing the American working class?  What might those be?