• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay AJayi stat-line prior to Aaron Williams de-cleating:

8 rushes for 87 yards

#theAWmyth

How many points did the Dolphins put up to that point?

What was our Defensive record before and after that for the year?

You'd really have to be extremely naive not to believe that the AW loss for the year was extremely debilitating to this defense. I've said it before and I'll say it again, his loss to our defense was much more underestimated than what people know.

You'd really have to be extremely naive not to believe that the AW loss for the year was extremely debilitating to this defense. I've said it before and I'll say it again, his loss to our defense was much more underestimated than what people know.

Our defense played SF with Kaep, and LA with Keenum. A slow starting Cards team. And a Pats 3rd string QB with a dead hand. And got shredded by Fitz a couple weeks prior.

The defense stunk all year, they just faced even worse offenses.

it was an impact - no doubt.

but i think if anything, a lot of the board here overstates it a bit. we have been an inconsistent defense with and without him. we played some awful qbs with him this year, but handled business.

i agree that communication was a weak point after, but wont say that it was ever a strength under the last regime (even with AW).

Unfortunately, what we've now got going on in this thread is the "battle of hyperbole" -- it seems that either the Bills' defense would have been all-world with AW playing a full season, or his presence would have meant absolutely nothing.

Some of you need to learn the concept of compromise. Is anyone really going to argue that the defense would have performed just as poorly if they didn't have to use six or seven different safeties because AW wasn't available? I also think it's clear that AW alone wouldn't have turned this into a top 5 (or even 10) defense.

It's a reasonable proposition that if AW had been healthy all year, the Bills stand a better chance to win a couple of the close games they lost prior to the W17 Jets game and might have actually been playing for a playoff berth in that final game.

At what point does the team take control and cut bait with Awil?

this is the first season wed see savings instead of a bump up in cap hit by cutting him.

its not huge though. if looking at a 1.75m price tag, its a gamble but his talent level is much higher than any comparable vet around that.

Unfortunately, what we've now got going on in this thread is the "battle of hyperbole" -- it seems that either the Bills' defense would have been all-world with AW playing a full season, or his presence would have meant absolutely nothing.

Some of you need to learn the concept of compromise. Is anyone really going to argue that the defense would have performed just as poorly if they didn't have to use six or seven different safeties because AW wasn't available? I also think it's clear that AW alone wouldn't have turned this into a top 5 (or even 10) defense.

It's a reasonable proposition that if AW had been healthy all year, the Bills stand a better chance to win a couple of the close games they lost prior to the W17 Jets game and might have actually been playing for a playoff berth in that final game.

Exactly on the hyperbole.

The Bills were the 27th ranked defense using DVOA........that is entirely consistent with how they looked and played........with AW they were STILL going to be in the 20's which is not appreciably better.

My point with Jay Ajayi was simple......he was producing at the same clip whether AW was out there or not.

The AW lead defense was scorched for 375 yards by Ryan Fitzpatrick in the home opener and struggled mightily to put away a pretty feeble Rams offense in LA.

They WERE NOT GOOD with or without AW.

Expecting him to make a 2 win difference is hyperbole as well.

Logic dictates that he was not worth 3 points per game.......that would have been a tremendous difference for any one player........and the Bills did not lose a single game on their schedule by less than 3 points.

They were handled with relative ease by the Raiders, Patriots and Steelers and had already been beaten twice by non-playoff teams WITH AW "at the helm" on D.

If the notion held out for is that they would have won both Dolphins games with him then I suggest you actually re-watch that first game.

The Dolphins were the better team this year.......the Bills weren't sweeping them. Sorry. And those are the only "close" losses on the slate.

The Bills were the 27th ranked defense using DVOA........that is entirely consistent with how they looked and played........with AW they were STILL going to be in the 20's which is not appreciably better.

Bills were 10th in defensive DVOA the week before Aaron Williams went down. You don't think they could have finished in the teens? I do.

Expecting him to make a 2 win difference is hyperbole as well.

Logic dictates that he was not worth 3 points per game.......that would have been a tremendous difference for any one player........and the Bills did not lose a single game on their schedule by less than 3 points.

the other day someone got into it arguing he was worth 4, maybe even 5 if we were playing a meaningful week 17 game i think it was.

sometimes posters get on a roll of excitement and get a bit carried away.

Bills were 10th in defensive DVOA the week before Aaron Williams went down. You don't think they could have finished in the teens? I do.

Even then it was a well known fact that the Bills had faced incredibly weak offenses.

DVOA is a great overall measure.........but when you shut out a Patriots team with an injured Jacoby Brissett at QB.......well there isn't much DVOA can do to reflect the difference between the zero points THAT team could score versus the 35-45 points that they would have scored with Tom Brady at QB. And yes.......they would have.

People forget that AW injured his neck the second time......versus the Pats in 2015.....his defense was being BLOWN OUT.

AW or not......the Raiders, the Steelers and the Patriots were going to score in bunches against this defense......and there is NO REASON to think that the Dolphins would have moved the ball any less in those games.

If Bills fans were actually watching the games and being honest with themselves they would know that the problems on defense extended far beyond what AW could control.

The safety play wasn't nearly the problem down the stretch that an indecisive front 7 and AWFUL tackling were.

I'm sure the backlash here will be strong but reminder that we don't know the medical details like he and his family do.

As for the team, I wouldn't bank on him but it could be a nice piece to have

Yes, because people always think through choices like this objectively and dispassionately.