Kyle Williams?

If I understand him, I don't think he is advocating cutting KW. He is talking about contracts. Major's contract strategy may be debatable but I don't think he was saying 'cut Kyle'

Ok. He said threaten Kyle with cutting him so he'll take less money. Whatever, either way - I said he's worth every penny of his contract and has earned it. You don't tell a guy who's actually earned his contract to take a pay cut - unless you're a fan that thinks he's just loved because he plays hard, etc.. I'm saying he's so much more than just a guy we're paying to be a leader. He's a fantastic player and when he's out of the lineup - you immediately know it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KW has made some good $$$ and been beat up. Should walk away while he has some health

I hope he holds on for one more year and guides the new defense to maturity.

Ok. He said threaten Kyle with cutting him so he'll take less money. Whatever, either way - I said he's worth every penny of his contract and has earned it. You don't tell a guy who's actually earned his contract to take a pay cut - unless you're a fan that thinks he's just loved because he plays hard, etc.. I'm saying he's so much more than just a guy we're paying to be a leader. He's a fantastic player and when he's out of the lineup - you immediately know it.

Fully on board with your opinion about KW

I really like Kyle, but I cant see Buffalo paying him 7MM+ this year.

At $7M, he's cheap. He's 7th in tackles for DLineman - http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_LINEMAN&season=2016&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=1&qualified=false&Submit=Go. Looking at spotrac, the guys above him on that list that are cheaper are guys like Khalil Mack and DeForest Buckner on rookie deals. This is one contract the Bills should leave as is.

I assume you all saw the video of Kyle and his family at home. I got the impression that it was in Buffalo, but yet he always talks about the long drive "home" after the season to Louisiana or somewhere that he does every offseason.

If his family is in Buffalo I think he plays for sure next year. What else can a rolling ball of butcher knives do for fun?

Defensive linemen can play for long careers if they can muster the will. I think the complete redo of the coaching staff will give him pause, and he may just retire. (recall A Schobel) I think he can contribute substantially if he is healthy.....$7mil is pretty heafty though..but, he likely earns it on a production basis. I would like him to stay.

The switch for 95 will be much easier than the switch for 94. He was being asked to switch to 3-4 olb while playing at the same weight as Bruce in his prime. He was going to be dropping into coverage and running down RBs in the flat... Not enticing for a pass-rusher.

Defensive linemen can play for long careers if they can muster the will. I think the complete redo of the coaching staff will give him pause, and he may just retire. (recall A Schobel) I think he can contribute substantially if he is healthy.....$7mil is pretty heafty though..but, he likely earns it on a production basis. I would like him to stay.

Please don't ever compare Kyle to Schobel, one is in it for the love of the game and the other was in it for the money.

Here's an excerpt from McDermott's PC.

You win with people, McDermott said. This is a people-driven business. Xs and Os are important, you better have xs and os but I want guys that care about people, that care about these players and go about it the right way.

If this doesn't describe Kyle than I don't know what does. I fully expect McDermott to sit down and have him have a one on one with Kyle and let him know that he wants him back next year, not just because of the kind of player that he is on the field but more so because of the kind of person that he is off the field.

This could be one of the only coaching hires that could coax Kyle back, as long as we're not gonna blow it up in 2017 for the 2018 draft pick. Kyle is the exact kind of player the new coach seems to like and I'd bet an awful lot that Kyle likes this kind of no nonsense attitude from the new coach who will demand the players give their all to the team and hold them accountable if they don't. Not to mention he would most likely be back in the 4-3 attacking style DT that he is nearly elite level status in playing.

If he's healthy I'd offer a 2 year extension with team and player option on year 3, pay up front guaranteed and cut his cap hit. Also, Washington is not ready to be full time quite yet and could use a little help from coach and Kyle to bring him along and that would also allow for Kyle to play fewer snaps overall. Honestly this is a perfect situation for Kyle to come back to if he still has the desire and health to do so. I for one hope he is here for out playoff game(s) in a year or two. He's been the highlight for a long part of our miserable years and want him here when thing should turn around. I really think we have the coach, now just hope we can get a good OC and possible QB if Tyrod is not in their plans.

I think returning to a 4-3 and playing on a line with Lawson, Dareus and Hughes will get Kyle excited and he will want to play another year or two.

McD stated in the press conference that he would evaluate the players before deciding on a defensive alignment.

Schobel's retirement was accelerated by a lack of desire to switch from 4-3 DE to 3-4 DE and possibly by the choice of Gailey/George Edwards as HC/DC.

Williams, OTOH, played what many would consider his best seasons in a 4-3. And one would hope he might be more enthused about playing for a HC who has been DC on a superbowl team and who is known as a disciplined, no nonsense guy, than Schobel was about moving out of position and playing for Gailey/Edwards.

Mario Williams somewhat retired also after a switch to 3-4.