The new jw Tweets 1/11 - Questions on Whaley & TT

Reed83HOF

Why do some take it as a sign of Whaley's "weak position" that he and the HC will consult on personnel including FAs and draft picks? To me, this is SOP. How the hell else could you have a unified vision that's coherently implemented unless the "acquirer" and the "user" are completely on the same page? Yet some critics take this as a further sign of accelerating dysfunction at OBD. Wha?

Whaley's position may be weakened, Whaley's position may not be weakened, I'm going to wait to hear what the structure already is.

Whaley has never had as much power as some GMs in the league, and it was quietly weakened quite a bit moving from Marrone (reported to Whaley) to Ryan (reported in parallel to Whaley, up to Pegula) - a decision which clearly took power away from him but which passed without all this brouhaha

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) McDermott and his camp came in fully aware of the dysfunction inside OBD. It stands to reason that they came in and asked for some additional authority and clarity.

2) Though Whaley headed the coaching search and scheduled McDermott first, it's clear based on text from Pegula to AP that he needed to be very comfortable and have a connection to the new coach.

3) The reports coming out of OBD drive before coaching search began officially calling Anthony Lynn as the clear front-runner didn't materialize out of thin air, or at the very least in the AP's reporting. That Anthony Lynn wasn't selected indicates the Bills didn't follow a pre-planned agenda that was initially laid out.

4) Numerous people within OBD were unpleased with Whaley's performance during the so-called "news conference." It did not reflect well on Whaley, the Pegulas or the organization as a whole. It begs the question how that performance could not have led to a reduction in confidence in Whaley's ability to perform his duties as a GM.

5) The Pegulas aren't in the business of going through yet another coaching search any time soon now that the Bills have have hired McDermott. So if there is a shift in the power structure based on optics alone, Whaley is the one on thinner ice moving forward.

jw

1) McDermott and his camp came in fully aware of the dysfunction inside OBD. It stands to reason that they came in and asked for some additional authority and clarity.

2) Though Whaley headed the coaching search and scheduled McDermott first, it's clear based on text from Pegula to AP that he needed to be very comfortable and have a connection to the new coach.

3) The reports coming out of OBD drive before coaching search began officially calling Anthony Lynn as the clear front-runner didn't materialize out of thin air, or at the very least in the AP's reporting. That Anthony Lynn wasn't selected indicates the Bills didn't follow a pre-planned agenda that was initially laid out.

4) Numerous people within OBD were unpleased with Whaley's performance during the so-called "news conference." It did not reflect well on Whaley, the Pegulas or the organization as a whole. It begs the question how that performance could not have led to a reduction in confidence in Whaley's ability to perform his duties as a GM.

5) The Pegulas aren't in the business of going through yet another coaching search any time soon now that the Bills have have hired McDermott. So if there is a shift in the power structure based on optics alone, Whaley is the one on thinner ice moving forward.

jw

All we need is that ice to break and then we're going. Hopefully before 2020.

Thanks for the info JW.

Edited by FireChan

All we need is that ice to break and then we're going. Hopefully before 2020.

Thanks for the info JW.

I second the thank you jw.

Kinda surprising that Whaley still has a job considering that Jan 2016 article by Vic Carucci when it was noted that both Rex and Whaley had one year to "fix the Bills"!

Any word on how the owners / McDermott feel about keeping Tyrod Taylor or who will be the new OC, DC?

jw

Thanks for the info JW. A few comments and a question:

1. I would certainly hope so, or he is a dolt. Don't think he is.

2. Perfectly reasonably that the owner would want to feel comfortable and feel a connection to the guy who is one of the two most important people in the football operation. Again, I would hope so.

3. Good.

4. Every executive is constantly evaluating the key staff in his organization. Everything matters. Totally agree with you here - had to have an impact.

5 it would certainly seem so. My perception is that Terry is interested in results, and while willing to give his people room and resources to succeed, he does not suffer fools or put up with gamesmanship. Whaley is on his last loop of the rope. I hope for all our sakes he succeeds.

So in tomorrow's press conference, do you think we will actually be treated to some football related discussion, or would you expect another snipe hunt? I want to hear what this guy thinks about the team. (my snark is not directed at you by the way - you are always professional)

jw

The most important question for me remains the passing game,OC,QB triumvirate. We now have a DC and an OL, running game guy. McDermott's success will hinge on that question ultimately.

If he's on such thin ice and the Pegulas don't want to go through another coaching search any time soon they should've fired Whaley before they searched for a coach.

So if the Bills mire in mediocrity again the next two years you fire Whaley and keep McDermott? Who's going to take on that GM job?

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Enter Jim Monos?

Thanks for the info JW. A few comments and a question:

1. I would certainly hope so, or he is a dolt. Don't think he is.

2. Perfectly reasonably that the owner would want to feel comfortable and feel a connection to the guy who is one of the two most important people in the football operation. Again, I would hope so.

3. Good.

4. Every executive is constantly evaluating the key staff in his organization. Everything matters. Totally agree with you here - had to have an impact.

5 it would certainly seem so. My perception is that Terry is interested in results, and while willing to give his people room and resources to succeed, he does not suffer fools or put up with gamesmanship. Whaley is on his last loop of the rope. I hope for all our sakes he succeeds.

So in tomorrow's press conference, do you think we will actually be treated to some football related discussion, or would you expect another snipe hunt? I want to hear what this guy thinks about the team. (my snark is not directed at you by the way - you are always professional)

My guess is that they limit any Whaley exposure and place the focus on McDermott.

If Pegulas are there, I'm sure Terry might get an interesting question or two thrown his way.

Otherwise, the obvious focus will be on the new coach.

jw

My guess is that they limit any Whaley exposure and place the focus on McDermott.

If Pegulas are there, I'm sure Terry might get an interesting question or two thrown his way.

Otherwise, the obvious focus will be on the new coach.

jw

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

jw

Well done, and thanks.

jw

Well that kind of sucks, doesn't it? I mean you're hired to find good football players, which you do, but you get crap because they the toss you out for a quickie presser and you do a bad job. I mean was it in his job description when he was hired? ( Article III Sec. 4 "Must be great at press conferences.")

I'm not sure what jw heard or didn't hear, and believe his reporting, but keep in mind there are a lot of "people in the building" at OBD, and a lot of them have been there for awhile, and there are a lot of leaks out of OBD, and people in the building does not necessarily mean that Terry and Kim are unhappy with what Whaley did. I'm sure they knew pretty much what he was going to say before he went out there.

If he doesn't have power, and he definitely wants to move on from Tyrod, they may as well fire him now and hire Monos. I'm just not sure that either of those two things are entirely true.

Enter Jim Monos?

I am only going to ask this one more time, and it is not directed at Mr Wawrow.

Is there perhaps some grappling for position by Jim Monos? I am still wondering where and why the leaks that cause us, and the Bills Org so much turmoil and divisiveness were spun from.

Edited by 3rdand12

I am only going to ask this one more time, and it is not directed at Mr Wawrow.

Is there perhaps some grappling for position by Jim Monos? I am still wondering where and why the leaks that cause us, and the Bills Org so much turmoil and divisiveness were spun from.

It's a lot easier to believe that Whaley and Monos are tight than it is to believe that Monos is grappling for more power over Whaley.

I'm not sure what jw heard or didn't hear, and believe his reporting, but keep in mind there are a lot of "people in the building" at OBD, and a lot of them have been there for awhile, and there are a lot of leaks out of OBD, and people in the building does not necessarily mean that Terry and Kim are unhappy with what Whaley did. I'm sure they knew pretty much what he was going to say before he went out there.

If he doesn't have power, and he definitely wants to move on from Tyrod, they may as well fire him now and hire Monos. I'm just not sure that either of those two things are entirely true.

After all they extended his contract just a year ago.

Well that kind of sucks, doesn't it? I mean you're hired to find good football players, which you do, but you get crap because they the toss you out for a quickie presser and you do a bad job. I mean was it in his job description when he was hired? ( Article III Sec. 4 "Must be great at press conferences.")

smh.

"must be great?"

he didn't even manage a level of "poor" in the press conference. it was an unmitigated disaster, such that the Bills had to scramble out the Pegulas to clear up many unanswered questions.

that a person at such an executive level is unable to answer basic questions such as whether he was aware his team's head coach's job was in jeopardy is unpardonable.a GM has a variety of functions, and one is to deal with the media, which is an NFL requirement to do so within 10 days following the end of a season and in the weeks leading up to the draft.

it's clear based on numerous questions you've raised either on this board or on twitter, that you either are incapable of understanding how things work or are merely naive to that reality.

i mean, geezus.

jw

smh.

"must be great?"

he didn't even manage a level of "poor" in the press conference. it was an unmitigated disaster, such that the Bills had to scramble out the Pegulas to clear up many unanswered questions.

that a person at such an executive level is unable to answer basic questions such as whether he was aware his team's head coach's job was in jeopardy is unpardonable.a GM has a variety of functions, and one is to deal with the media, which is an NFL requirement to do so within 10 days following the end of a season and in the weeks leading up to the draft.

it's clear based on numerous questions you've raised either on this board or on twitter, that you either are incapable of understanding how things work or are merely naive to that reality.

i mean, geezus.

jw

What I heard was someone who wasn't ready to answer every question thrown at him...sometimes multiple times. Was he unprepared? Was he covering for his boss? You think it's the former. I think it's the latter. Either way, they have a guy whose job is to communicate in Scott Berchtold. Where was he that day?

Edited by PromoTheRobot