Espn: Buyer Beware for teams promoting internal coaches

YoloinOhio

Lynn is such a respected coach, everyone wants him, but he's been a RB coach forever and only became OC this season when the OC was fired.

Why didn't someone at least promote the man to OC if he was so sought after?

It's not an attack. It's a question. How does a guy who has never been able to rise above RB coach suddenly deserve to be HC?

Lynn is such a respected coach, everyone wants him, but he's been a RB coach forever and only became OC this season when the OC was fired.

Why didn't someone at least promote the man to OC if he was so sought after?

It's not an attack. It's a question. How does a guy who has never been able to rise above RB coach suddenly deserve to be HC?

maybe he is a great leader of men that didnt have a fully developed playbook of his own?

maybe he is a great leader of men that didnt have a fully developed playbook of his own?

Could be. But if he doesn't have a fully developed playbook, and has only served as a coordinator of anything for part of one season, to me that means he needs more experience at a higher level first.

Lots of football coaches are "great leaders of men." Not many are actually good at the job of HC, though, based on how many don't last more than 3 years anywhere.

Even Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator at least. IMO you should at least coordinate an entire unit for a couple seasons before becoming HC. Not saying he can't be successful but the resume worries me. "Comfort" with a guy is over-rated.

Edited by TheFunPolice

It is something of an odd proposition that you would look to someone who coached under the person you've fired to "right the ship."

Not saying it can't work out fantastically, but it's a valid observation.

maybe he is a great leader of men. that didnt have a fully developed playbook of his own?

I think you could even shorten that to above.

Just because we the message board masses don't fully get a candidates credentials, it doesn't mean they're living off of one year of good coordinator results (as an example). I'm guessing the people that have actually worked in that small industry for years have a better insight into candidates than us...

I think you could even shorten that to above.

Just because we the message board masses don't fully get a candidates credentials, it doesn't mean they're living off of one year of good coordinator results (as an example). I'm guessing the people that have actually worked in that small industry for years have a better insight into candidates than us...

you right

Worked out for the Giants.

I think Lynn is very different from Rex. I don't think he should be the guy, but I disagree with this article for our situation.

This is simply Interim HC. It means teams fired their coach in season then promoted from within.

The big thing here here is the situation. Every team there but the Cowboys and 2002 Vikings were teams in transition or bad teams.

The situation matters. The Bills are talented. Unless they rebuild they should be at minimum a 8 win team. The Titans last year had ayoung QB and didn't want to change everything. That's why they had success. Jaguars are trying for continuity with a young talented team.

Anthony seems like a nice guy but he has only 14 games running an offense!! For crying out loud he's never even spent an offseason as OC. Lets get someone who has climbed the ladder and learned the difficulties of each rung. Skipping rungs is a shaky way to get to the top. Lynn is not qualified!!!