McDermott emerging as favorite in coaching search...

Big Turk

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard or Toub are my top 2 guys.

I'd take Butler over McDermott. Basically, I'll take Whaley's opinion over Pegs at this point. Pegs is awesome, don't get me wrong, but Whaley knows more about the NFL, coaches, etc. Butler would be my 3rd or 4th choice.

My interest is pretty much the same as yours, and I'd insert Todd Haley 4th after Butler. Curious if he has grown up since KC. None of the candidates excite me all that much from the outside but they're all worth a shot in different ways. I hope we focus on getting the best Head Coach rather than thinking about fixing a particular side of the ball, or scheme fits, etc. Look at the big picture and get the guy who can build a football program from the ground up and understands how to win in today's league.

As a know-nothing observer I do get the impression the Rex hire came from ownership. If they don't trust Whaley to hire his top choice this time then he shouldn't be heading the football operation.

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

My interest is pretty much the same as yours, and I'd insert Todd Haley 4th after Butler. Curious if he has grown up since KC. None of the candidates excite me all that much from the outside but they're all worth a shot in different ways. I hope we focus on getting the best Head Coach rather than thinking about fixing a particular side of the ball, or scheme fits, etc. Look at the big picture and get the guy who can build a football program from the ground up and understands how to win in today's league.

As a know-nothing observer I do get the impression the Rex hire came from ownership. If they don't trust Whaley to hire his top choice this time then he shouldn't be heading the football operation.

What do you mean if haley has grown up since kc?? Im curious because i know some stories about him when he was with dallas.

What do you mean if haley has grown up since kc?? Im curious because i know some stories about him when he was with dallas.

I had this post from Hapless Bills Fan in another thread buzzing in my head. Also I remember him in a shouting match with Larry Fitzgerald back in AZ, he seems like he marches to his own drum. Which if harnessed with discipline can be a good thing, I think. I am not as high on him as HBF.

Haley is an interesting candidate. Like McDaniels, he was kind of a mess as HC although he had some success - inherited a bad team, turned it around to winning and playoffs his second season. His best year featured Charlie Weis as OC and Meh Cassel in a stout run-first O, #1 run game, #30 pass game, and a middle-of-the-pack D. Hmmm, sound familiar? His next year fell off, with Cassel and his backup both throwing more picks and the run game not as good. He was reportedly a bit of a "prima donna", doing stuff like firing Gailey as OC just before the start of his first season there.

Like McDaniels, if Haley has grown and reflected on "what went wrong" in KC as McDaniels would hopefully have reflected on Denver and St Louis, Haley could be a good HC in his 2nd shot. The Steelers had some fall-off his first two seasons but they're cooking along right now.

If Haley hasn't done that reflection and it's all on everyone else, he could be a disaster. He's spent time around 2 winning organizations (Cardinals in 2007 and 2008) as well as some success with a mediocre QB in his HC gig. I think Whaley's mental model for how a franchise should work is based in Pittsburgh, so since Haley has spent 5 years there they might be a good match to work smoothly together, provided Haley doesn't go all inflated-ego when he gets a 2nd HC shot.

Unlike McDaniels working with Belichick where the offense was arguably great before he took over, great after he left, and great when he came back, I don't think there's any question that Haley is the real brains behind the Pittsburgh offense. Big Ben is a very good QB, but he's not Brady and the Steelers arguably have a stronger offense now than under Arians. Haley should have the experience and contacts in the league to bring in a good DC.

I would actually be very positive about bringing in Haley.

I'd be good with that.

Interesting - an article from Carolina suggesting they replace McDermott with Bradley as DC (naturally because "Fans are looking for a shakeup" - they must have already forgotten about that 15 - 1 season a year ago!)

http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/19/could-panthers-target-gus-bradley-for-a-defensive-position/

If Lynn doesn't get the HC job, I have to think he is gone. Can't see him staying as an OC.

Agree - don't see him staying as OC. I'd still like to see Lynn get promoted to HC. I think he'd do a great job.

Also, just because promoting HC from within the ranks didn't necessarily work out so well last time is no indication of how it will work out next time. I really want to see Lynn get the opportunity. I think he had a decent season. Also, and for really no good reason, I really like HCs that have more offensive backgrounds.

Edited by ChasBB