Alabama/Clemson game thread

Buffalo Barbarian

Obviously, but if you were to ask the NCAA "has the playoff been a success" I think that the answer would be a resounding yes. It has made the entire season better. Oklahoma was eliminated after 2 weeks after being in it last year. The interest, not just in those 9 games but in the hundreds of games leading up to it has been why college football is working.

It is better, for sure. But those results point toward a flawed selection process

8 teams might fix that.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can throw Michigan - OSU, PSU - OSU, Michigan - FSU, Louisville - Clemson, UGA - UT, and a ton of other games in there as well.

One more thing to add on the greatness of college football, next year Alabama is a 3-1 favorite. FSU is the 2nd choice at 7-1. Oklahoma, OSU and USC are tied for 3rd at 8-1. Alabama opens the year vs. FSU on September 2nd and OSU and Oklahoma play the next week on September 9th. 2 of the top 5 teams in Vegas can probably only sustain 1 more loss max and still make the playoff. That is pressure!

Oklahoma plays OSU in Cbus this time. OSU opens with Indiana the week prior on a Thursday.

It is better, for sure. But those results point toward a flawed selection process

8 teams might fix that.

If the selection process is "flawed", then fix the selection process.

Adding more teams to the present process will not fix anything. It will just ensure even more blowouts in the playoffs.

ALL DAY

Not even close, just a great design. CLE knew man coverage, had the WR inside make the DB commit, the DB then wrapped his arms around the WR - that's dpi , anyway that left the inside DB to cover Renfro on the outside . Brilliant p,any and almost impossible to defend by the WRs crossing. Not offensive PI in the least.

"Chuck Norris checks under his bed at night to see if Mike Defee is under it"

:lol::lol:

For sure

In addition, if you lose a couple of games in the NFL season it doesn't really matter. USC was playing as well as anyone in the country late in the year but missed the playoff because of a couple of early mistakes. The season is on the line every week for someone. Oklahoma was out by week 2.

it does for us :D

USC/Penn State and Clemson/Bama > NFL season.

NFL is just a bunch of confused refs and bogus flags

This why they need a reall playoffs in college with 16 teams

You can throw Michigan - OSU, PSU - OSU, Michigan - FSU, Louisville - Clemson, UGA - UT, and a ton of other games in there as well.

One more thing to add on the greatness of college football, next year Alabama is a 3-1 favorite. FSU is the 2nd choice at 7-1. Oklahoma, OSU and USC are tied for 3rd at 8-1. Alabama opens the year vs. FSU on September 2nd and OSU and Oklahoma play the next week on September 9th. 2 of the top 5 teams in Vegas can probably only sustain 1 more loss max and still make the playoff. That is pressure!

no Clemson?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Watson is not better and it's not even close. Go back and watch some Tyrod college ball. If you think Tyrod is not good enough in the NFL, then this Watson kid is definitely not good enough.

I watched a TON of TT in College...And I'm not sure if it's even possible to be more wrong than this take... B-)

I think you are totally wrong.

I could be. I have been plenty of times.

I just don't see it in him.

If he played on a lesser team with a weaker receiving crew, I would be more persuaded that he can elevate a team on an NFL level. Not his fault he has good receivers. I just don't think HE is a big enough difference maker. And I don't think his play will transfer well to the NFL. I think he will make a great backup for some team. Probably start for a couple years before being demoted to backup as most semi-decent qb's end up.

I like Tyrod but Watson is one of the great college players ever. There is no comparison of them as college players. TT has led a successful NFL offense for 2 years. It is unconventional though which clearly bothers a lot of people here. I am of the school of thought that Tyrod gives them the best chance to win in 2017 and improved defense has them near the playoffs. In fact, I firmly believe that.

With that being said I do not know if that is in their best interests long-term. This defense wasted some prime years of some good players (thanks Rex) and set them off schedule. The goal to me isn't to be like Miami this year; it is to be a contender. IF the Bills don't believe that they can be a realistic contender with TT than I am okay with Watson (but not high on the other guys in this draft). It will be a step back in 2017 with someone else taking the snaps (they aren't averaging 26 PPG with a rookie or scrub) but if that is to take 2 steps forward I am okay with it.

I do not see the similarities between TT and Watson though outside of their complexion. They both throw a pretty good deep ball with plenty of air under it but that is it with the similarities for me. Tyrod is much more elusive and Watson prefers to play from the pocket. They play a different game. Each is effective but the comparisons are lazy to me. I was really hoping that we could stop comparing every black QB to another black QB if it doesn't make sense. Ironically I think that TT compares to Flutie some with his improv skills and Watson feels more like Mariota to me. At any rate, I think that you can win with either guy.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I like Tyrod but Watson is one of the great college players ever. There is no comparison of them as college players. TT has led a successful NFL offense for 2 years. It is unconventional though which clearly bothers a lot of people here. I am of the school of thought that Tyrod gives them the best chance to win in 2017 and improved defense has them near the playoffs. In fact, I firmly believe that.

With that being said I do not know if that is in their best interests long-term. This defense wasted some prime years of some good players (thanks Rex) and set them off schedule. The goal to me isn't to be like Miami this year; it is to be a contender. IF the Bills don't believe that they can be a realistic contender with TT than I am okay with Watson (but not high on the other guys in this draft). It will be a step back in 2017 with someone else taking the snaps (they aren't averaging 26 PPG with a rookie or scrub) but if that is to take 2 steps forward I am okay with it.

I do not see the similarities between TT and Watson though outside of their complexion. They both through a pretty good deep ball with plenty of air under it but that is it with the similarities for me. Tyrod is much more elusive and Watson prefers to play from the pocket. They play a different game. Each is effective but the comparisons are lazy to me. I was really hoping that we could stop comparing every black QB to another black QB if it doesn't make sense. Ironically I think that TT compares to Flutie some with his improv skills and Watson feels more like Mariota to me. At any rate, I think that you can win with either guy.

Agree. The Vince young comps are lazy. Peak Marc Bulger I like better.

Agree. The Vince young comps are lazy. Peak Marc Bulger I like better.

They do it all of the time. I was looking for some ridiculous ones but didn't feel like searching. I will bet if you take the time you will find someone, that at one point, would have compared Byron Leftwich to Mike Vick.

As a side note, I believe this will be the first game that counts at the new Mercedes Benz Dome in Atlanta, which replaces the Georgia Dome. The new dome looks to be as amazing as the old dome is generic and boring. I'm waiting to see how much my FSU son will pay to get tickets to that one!

If the selection process is "flawed", then fix the selection process.

Adding more teams to the present process will not fix anything. It will just ensure even more blowouts in the playoffs.

Yeah.....that's how I would fix the selection process. It would more likely keep posers like Washington and OSU out of the semi finals.

Your post doesn't make much sense.

Michigan and FSU should've been in over Washington and OSU. Gotta expand the playoffs.

Except OSU beat Michigan (who had 2 losses) and FSU had 3 losses. Neither resume should have gotten in over a 1 loss team. The right teams were selected. The case for expanding it is that the teams playing the best will advance and make for more competitive semis.