QB: trade value

Fixxxer

Tony Romo, signed through to 2019 with a base salary of 18.000.000 (average), will will turn 33 next year.

Romo will be 37 in April

Romo will want to play for a winner, not coming to Buffalo

Edited by MarkyMannn

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McCarron was awesome in college, decent with short stints in Cincinnati. Hard to guage college skill though because Alabama defense was so dominating, it didn't take a great QB.......SOOOOO keep Tutor and draft the Bama rule!

Taylor.....Sorry all thumbs here.

Romo will be 37 in April

Romo will want to play for a winner, not coming to Buffalo

That sounds cute but what "winner" is looking for a QB? Houston possibly but that's about it and they'd have to eat a ton of money at the QB position. A 7-9 team is about as good a choice as he'll get - not saying that's us but his choices are limited.

Edit: I'd also put Denver in that mix and possibly the Cardinals.

Edited by Triple Threat

Everyone with any reasonable amount of intelligence has already come to that conclusion.

Yep. And Cousins market value is projected to be about $23.4 million per year if he is signed to a 5 year deal with someone.

He would be way more expensive than Tyrod to the tune of about $7 million more per year. You can upgrade the team at other positions substantially with that extra $7 million.

We used to have a saying "if your experiment doesn't work, no one ever praises you "but he saved money!" "

Tyrod is a dynamic playmaker but a mediocre to poor passing QB at present.

Cousins ran a top passing offense the past 2 years. Their offense was just below ours for points, but 2nd in the league for passing yards.

I think Washington will sign Cousins, but if they don't, the question is, if you think Cousin's last two years reflect who he is, does it add more value to the team to pay top-5 QB $$ for a top 5 passing offense, than to pay 18-20 QB dollars for a dynamic playmaker who may not get it done when sharp passing is needed?

Most people seem to think a true franchise QB needs to be able to pass.

I myself think we should keep Tyrod and keep drafting QB.

We used to have a saying "if your experiment doesn't work, no one ever praises you "but he saved money!" "

Cousins ran a top passing offense the past 2 years. Their offense was just below ours for points, but 2nd in the league for passing yards.

I think Washington will sign Cousins, but if they don't, the question is, if you think Cousin's last two years reflect who he is, does it add more value to the team to pay top-5 QB $$ for a top 5 passing offense, than to pay 18-20 QB dollars for a dynamic playmaker who may not get it done when sharp passing is needed?

We've already seen Tyrod's ceiling as a passer in this league.

What you see is what you get with Tyrod.

Take it or leave it.

The Bills are going to leave it.

We've already seen Tyrod's ceiling as a passer in this league.

What you see is what you get with Tyrod.

Take it or leave it.

The Bills are going to leave it.

OK, but then what's the plan to replace him?

This isn't seeming like a strong QB year and apparently several of the names people are drooling about are juniors who haven't declared.

OK, but then what's the plan to replace him?

This isn't seeming like a strong QB year and apparently several of the names people are drooling about are juniors who haven't declared.

I'd be perfectly fine with Jones starting. I know he's not "ready" or whatever but he's got the balls to do it. I'd see how it goes and draft one the following year.

Trade #1, #2, next year's #1 and #2 for Trubinsky. Or something like that. Enough screwing around with stopgaps.

Don't know much about CFB but I know I heard Kiper say that he sucks and is a multi year project. We already have one of those and we drafted him in thev4th.

Next years schedule is most likely gonna end up wrecking us. We could end up 9-7 or 7-9 but I dunno if we can make the playoffs unless we really hit on our coaches, draft and FA while staying healthy. I'm usually not one to urge a tank job, but if there's ever a season, it's next. Whaley and the coaches will never agree to it but it makes sense. This years qb class looks pretty meh to me. I could see trubiesky or Watson becoming solid starters, maybe even maholmes but I'm not sold on any of them. I certainty wouldn't want to trade next years #1 for any of them. That would be a disaster with next years schedule. Big, tough decisions looming on OBD

Don't know much about CFB but I know I heard Kiper say that he sucks and is a multi year project. We already have one of those and we drafted him in thev4th.

Isn't Kiper the one who said he was "done" if Jimmy Clausen wasn't successful in the NFL and that he was the best QB in 2010 draft?

Edit: yes. Yes, he was. Check out who else he liked.

Are you that sold on Trubisky? He seems like maybe the best of a **** QB class. Reminds me a lot of Jake Locker, actually.

The same Jake Locker who completed 54% of his passes in college?

Trubisky is raw still...But he has major...major upside...He completed 68% of his passes this year and he was just a hair off on so many...With a little more experience and some minor timing adjustments he could have hit 70% + easy...

Trubisky is not ready to start in the NFL IMHO...He needs a redshirt year...But if that kid gets under the right coaching and you put the proper weapons around him he has the natural ability to be a top 10 NFL QB no problem...It's all going to be dependent on where he lands, the system, and how he takes to coaching...My main concern is how he handles pressure...Especially pressure up the middle...He needs to learn to live to fight another day...He seems to always think he can make the big play by scrambling backwards when under heavy pressure and ends up losing that gamble too often...Or he rushes the throw just a little and it throws the timing off...

But I would never compare him to Locker...He's a much, much, better pure passer... B-)

Next years schedule is most likely gonna end up wrecking us. We could end up 9-7 or 7-9 but I dunno if we can make the playoffs unless we really hit on our coaches, draft and FA while staying healthy. I'm usually not one to urge a tank job, but if there's ever a season, it's next. Whaley and the coaches will never agree to it but it makes sense. This years qb class looks pretty meh to me. I could see trubiesky or Watson becoming solid starters, maybe even maholmes but I'm not sold on any of them. I certainty wouldn't want to trade next years #1 for any of them. That would be a disaster with next years schedule. Big, tough decisions looming on OBD

I'm no fan of a tank job -still disgusted with the Sabres-, but our best hope IMO is figure out who our QB going forward will be because '18 is already a winnable schedule..

Personally, I think the Bills could build a Superbowl caliber team with either Tyrod or Cousins. I happen to think they are closer to doing it with Tyrod than they would be to pay big money for Cousins and try to piece together a team around him. So yes, I would keep Tyrod, draft another qb, upgrade receivers and o-line - and fix the defense as best you can. If they did that, you would have a team that could be truly dominant, could win big games on the road even against the top teams in the league which they will face next year.

I'm no fan of a tank job -still disgusted with the Sabres-, but our best hope IMO is figure out who our QB going forward will be because '18 is already a winnable schedule..

You have no idea what those other teams are going to look like in 2018. It won't be as it appears right now. You can bet on that.

Edited by PolishDave

Cutting through all of the emotional aspects of players and what they may want, I don't see Romo going anywhere. If the Cowboys release or trade him, they'll take a cap hit of $19.6 million for 2017. They would save $5.1 million, but that's a LOT of dead money to start your 2017 season. Free agency and/or a trade just isn't the way to go after a quarterback that you expect to take you to the playoffs and give you a potential shot at a Superbowl. As for the rest of the guys out there, I would take a pass and look to the draft for QB #3. To boot, you can talk about how his contract is "way too much" for a backup QB. I would ordinarily agree, if the starter were making bank as well. Prescott will be playing on the 2nd year of his initial 4 year deal next year for a mere $726K against the cap. Romo's dead money will drop by $10.7 million in 2018. That's just in time to give Prescott a fat new contract and let Romo sail off into the sunset.