Who are your 4 favorite current NFL head coaches?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex Ryan

Doug Marrone

Chan Gailey

Dick Jauron

:worthy:

But seriously:

Sean Peyton - He and Brees are easily the 2nd best coach/QB combinontion of the last decade. Take them away and New Orleans would have been no better than the Browns in recent memory

John Harbaugh - Ravens hardly have any more talent left and yet he's kept them comptetitive even against a brutal schedule this year. Steelers are way more talented and if it hadn't been for Harbaugh the Ravens wouldn't have even been close with them.

Andy Reid - Been a winner everywhere he's gone.

Tom Coughlin - Not currently a HC but recently enough. Love his tough, disciplinarian approach.

When I say Tomlin is overrated, I am not saying he is a bad coach coasting on the coat tails of the team. I just mean he is often viewed higher than I think he really deserves. If I made a top 10 list, I would bet he would make it in there, but definitely not my top 4 or 5.

He inherited a very talented team, and its been quite talented most of his tenure and just about any coach would have made the playoffs many times during the same tenure with the rosters they have had. When I watch the games I find myself often puzzled or frustrated with decisions he makes in game.

I agree with all.

For Alphadawg....

If I am ranking best:

1. Belichick

A distant...

2. John Harbaugh

3. Pete Carroll

A distant...

4. Mike Tomlin (overrated? You don't get lucky for 10 years. 0 losing seasons. Go figure).

5. Bruce Arians

6. Mike Zimmer

Remember when I said Tomlin was over rated and you wondered why? How about leaving Big Ben in the game of a blow out win with the game completely over so he could get hurt on the 2nd to last play of the game and end up in a walking boot during the playoffs before facing off against a dangerous KC team?

http://heavy.com/sports/2017/01/ben-roethlisberger-injury-status-walking-boot-after-sundays-game/

Edited by Alphadawg7

Remember when I said Tomlin was over rated and you wondered why? How about leaving Big Ben in the game of a blow out win with the game completely over so he could get hurt on the 2nd to last play of the game and end up in a walking boot during the playoffs before facing off against a dangerous KC team?

http://heavy.com/sports/2017/01/ben-roethlisberger-injury-status-walking-boot-after-sundays-game/

I can't fault him for that. BB never takes Brady out at these sorts of moments, you know ...

Rex Ryan

Doug Marrone

Chan Gailey

Dick Jauron

:worthy:

But seriously:

Sean Peyton - He and Brees are easily the 2nd best coach/QB combinontion of the last decade. Take them away and New Orleans would have been no better than the Browns in recent memory

John Harbaugh - Ravens hardly have any more talent left and yet he's kept them comptetitive even against a brutal schedule this year. Steelers are way more talented and if it hadn't been for Harbaugh the Ravens wouldn't have even been close with them.

Andy Reid - Been a winner everywhere he's gone.

Tom Coughlin - Not currently a HC but recently enough. Love his tough, disciplinarian approach.

Huh?? They have 4 7-9 seasons in the past 5 seasons.

You might want to rephrase that as...Tomlin and Big Ben, or, even more accurately, McCarthy and Rodgers.

I can't fault him for that. BB never takes Brady out at these sorts of moments, you know ...

I get that, but I would argue these points:

1. That doesn't make it the right decision. The game was a blow out win, even if the backup fumbles a handoff or a snap, it can not impact the game in anyway.

2. Big Ben gets hurt more than Brady and has been banged up this year already.

3. There was NO reason to be throwing in that situation where he got hurt...none what so ever. Very very stupid because now your QB is in danger, not just handing off.

4. See point 3 above, BB usually has Brady just handoff to protect him in those situations with the one exception being the year in 2007 where the Pats and Brady said FU to the NFL and ran the score up as much as they could to prove a point.

5. If Tomlin was our HC this board would be busting out pitchforks and calling for his head if he got our QB hurt in the playoffs at the end of a blow out win on the 2nd to last play of the game throwing the ball.

Honorable Mention Point: You could make an argument that Ben is more important to the Steelers than Brady is to the Pats. Not saying he is the better QB, because he is not. Steeler just don't win many games without BB. On the other hand, BB has proven to be able to win, and win often in the few chunks of time he hasn't had Brady. He won 11 games when Brady missed the season with a guy who had not started a game since HIGH SCHOOL. They went 3-1 this year without Brady, and I wonder if we even beat them if they had Jimmy who was a much better QB than their 3rd string rookie we beat. Jimmy had that offense humming before getting hurt in the small sample size we got to see.

All in all...not only should Ben have been pulled, he NEVER should have been passing. Another dumb decision by Tomlin, who makes quite a few dumb decisions IMO...to0 many to be considered one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL.

Huh?? They have 4 7-9 seasons in the past 5 seasons.

You might want to rephrase that as...Tomlin and Big Ben, or, even more accurately, McCarthy and Rodgers.

Nope, Tomlin/Roethlisberger have had great talent to work with (Hines Ward, Le'Veon Bell, Saontonio Holmes, Antonio Brown). Not to mention some greats on defense.

Rodgers/McCarthy has really been more on Rodgers but even he has had talent to work with (Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, Clay Matthews on defense).

Meanwhile Peyton/Brees have won a Superbowl with basically mediocre talent at best and have had a number of good years with really only Jimmy Graham as an actual threat. Otherwise, no great WRs, mediocre at best RBs, and a defense that has been descent to sometimes lousy. They've been down a few years recently, I'll give you that, but the Steelers had some down years as well here and there.

This coach who makes all these dumb decisions just won a playoff game right?

You can't just ride talent and luck for 10 years. He is a darn good coach and leader.

So Barry Switzer is a dam good coach too? He got gifted a SB team and won with that team until the team lost its talent and he got fired and never coached again. How about George Seifert who continued to win a lot in SF with a SB ready team and HOF players already on it...as soon as he didn't have those players and was coaching somewhere else he couldn't win anymore. Winning % with the 49ers is .766 and not on the 49ers is .333 and he never got another job again.

You can absolutely win consistently in the NFL as an average NFL coach with great teams. Making the playoffs isn't the only barometer for measuring the talent of a head coach. Its a good place to start, but it doesn't tell the whole story. He inherited a very talented team and has had an Elite NFL QB his whole career that has also been blessed with plenty of offensive weapons to make up for when the dominant D began to age and weaken. He has an excellent FO and GM who keep finding high level talent to keep the team always at least competitive to one of the more talented teams in the NFL. Many coaches could have reached the playoffs 10 times coaching those same teams.

On game day, he makes a lot of questionable decisions that have cost his team. This is just one of many decisions that were utterly stupid. The goal when you have a talented team is NOT to make the playoffs, its win the Super Bowl and you don't WIN the Super Bowl by leaving your most critical players in during garbage time to get hurt, and you sure as hell don't risk your irreplaceable QB on a pass play on the 2nd to last play of a blowout win, especially one that has been banged up multiple times this year and in the years pass. Now they have to go to KC to play a VERY tough team that has a legit shot at the SB this year with a banged up Big Ben. He is expected to play, but will it hamper him...will it be vulnerable to getting more hurt and knocked out of the game...etc?

I watch a lot of Steeler games (thanks to having Steelers like Ben, Brown, and Bell on multiple fantasy teams and friends who are big Steeler fans) and I can tell you that if a Bills HC made some of his decisions they pitch forks would be out. Even my Steeler fan friends get really frustrated with him and don't think he is the end all be all. Not saying he is a bad coach, but he is over rated and wins more because of his team than his coaching.

How about George Seifert who continued to win a lot in SF with a SB ready team and HOF players already on it...as soon as he didn't have those players and was coaching somewhere else he couldn't win anymore. Winning % with the 49ers is .766 and not on the 49ers is .333 and he never got another job again.

Carolina expansion team with Polian - wasn't he the HC?

Carolina expansion team with Polian - wasn't he the HC?

You mean the same Carolina Panthers team that went 12-4 under Dom Capers in 1996 in its 2nd year of existence? Seifert was its 2nd HC, not the HC of it as an expansion. Under George they went 8-8, then 7-9 and then 1-15. They got worse each year and Seifert, despite his .766 win% with the Niners, is not considered a great NFL coach in the history of the NFL despite having the 17th highest win % in history. Why? Because he had all of that success with some of the greatest players to ever play the game on both sides of the ball, including players who have cases to be the best ever at their respective positions like Montana, Rice, and Lott. Any HC would have won with that roster.

Not all of that was on George in Carolina, the team performance is never on one person. But the reason I mentioned him was because the poster stated the 10 playoff appearances by Tomlin's led Steelers as proof he is elite. My point is making the playoffs with a very talented roster does not automatically make you a great HC. Its much easier to make the playoffs in NFL when you have a very talented roster, especially one with a top 5 QB...and make no mistake about it, Big Ben has been a top 5 QB in this league a long time.

Barry Switzer coached Dallas for 4 seasons.

Tomlin just keeps winning. This is his 10th season and he's won 64% of his games. His worst year was 8-8 and he has never had a losing season.

That's not luck. That's a great job.

Again, didn't say he was a bad coach...man, you guys act like I said he is terrible...I said over rated in terms of discussing TOP FIVE. Bottom line, he gets more credit than I think he deserves for those 10 playoff seasons. Big Ben and all the weapons they have had over the years on offense and also the Elite D they had when he first got there had a lot more to do with those playoff Births then his ability to coach.

This is an example where way too much credit is give to a HC...just like HC's saddled with awful rosters take way too much blame for the losing. Nothing in the NFL is more important than roster talent...period. Tomlin gets all this credit for being blessed with a very talented roster almost his entire tenure as a HC. But if you actually watch the games every Sunday, you come away with a less than Elite view of his game day coaching.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Again, didn't say he was a bad coach...man, you guys act like I said he is terrible...I said over rated in terms of discussing TOP FIVE. Bottom line, he gets more credit than I think he deserves for those 10 playoff seasons. Big Ben and all the weapons they have had over the years on offense and also the Elite D they had when he first got there had a lot more to do with those playoff Births then his ability to coach.

I agree that he's not one of the best in terms of game-day management, but there are other very important aspects to the job. Year in and year out, the Steelers play with a physicality that is basically unmatched in the league. A lot of that is attitude and culture, and the head coach fosters that. I think he's one of the best as a motivator and culture creator, and that's why I put him at a very high level even factoring in his weaknesses (which you're right about).

You mean the same Carolina Panthers team that went 12-4 under Dom Capers in 1996 in its 2nd year of existence? Seifert was its 2nd HC, not the HC of it as an expansion. Under George they went 8-8, then 7-9 and then 1-15. They got worse each year and Seifert, despite his .766 win% with the Niners, is not considered a great NFL coach in the history of the NFL despite having the 17th highest win % in history. Why? Because he had all of that success with some of the greatest players to ever play the game on both sides of the ball, including players who have cases to be the best ever at their respective positions like Montana, Rice, and Lott. Any HC would have won with that roster.

Not all of that was on George in Carolina, the team performance is never on one person. But the reason I mentioned him was because the poster stated the 10 playoff appearances by Tomlin's led Steelers as proof he is elite. My point is making the playoffs with a very talented roster does not automatically make you a great HC. Its much easier to make the playoffs in NFL when you have a very talented roster, especially one with a top 5 QB...and make no mistake about it, Big Ben has been a top 5 QB in this league a long time.

Chill out dude; just recalled him being there...

Have one of these :beer:

I agree that he's not one of the best in terms of game-day management, but there are other very important aspects to the job. Year in and year out, the Steelers play with a physicality that is basically unmatched in the league. A lot of that is attitude and culture, and the head coach fosters that. I think he's one of the best as a motivator and culture creator, and that's why I put him at a very high level even factoring in his weaknesses (which you're right about).

I dont disagree with anything you just said...and if anyone goes back and reads my posts, you will see I said he would probably crack my top 10 if I made a top 10 list for the very reasons you stated. I made the case of him being over rated in terms of the top 4 ranking and even top 5 ranking. But its getting blown out of proportion to mean I think he is terrible, which is not what I have been saying.

Chill out dude; just recalled him being there...

Have one of these :beer:

LOL, chill out...I wasnt annoyed, just addressing your fair comment. Im all good, didn't mean it to come across annoyed with you. Im just sick and have nothing better to do today but sit here on my lap top while I rewatch "The Office" on Netflix. I highly recommend this by the way...always loved the show, but binge watching from episode 1 has been epic while sick.

Edited by Alphadawg7