Why not Jim Schwartz?

Whaley and the Pegulas can spend most of the interview profusely apologizing.

Schwartz came into Philly and it took a single season to improve their defense from 17th in DVOA last year to 4th.

I'm skeptical of him as a head coach but he can construct a defense and I think the players who were on that 2014 team would be fired up.

Depending on who he brings as OC, I think he'd be someone worth giving a shot. Why isn't he a candidate?

Imagine your boss gets fired and then his replacement immediately lets you go. The organization you work for fully supports that decision even though you did an amazing job with a very tough task.

Would you really consider going back to work for them in the future?

Imagine your boss gets fired and then his replacement immediately lets you go. The organization you work for fully supports that decision even though you did an amazing job with a very tough task.

Would you really consider going back to work for them in the future?

Huh? The Bills did Schwartz a favor by letting him go even though he was under contract. And he'd be returning to Buffalo as HC.

That being said, no.

Yep, it was a complete no brainer if you were hiring a defensive head coach. If they went offensive head coach schwartz would've stayed on as D coordinator. I was so pissed when they brought in Ryan and it turned out to be the complete fiasco I expected.

Would love to have him back, but no way that's happening.

Edited by Jukester

29 wins 51 loses as a head coach , no thanks

I hear that but remember he came in a year after meathead GM with no front officce experience, Matt Millen was canned. Millen the man that drafted busts such as Charles Rodgers, Joey Harrington and Mike Williams.

Yep, it was a complete no brainer if you were hiring a defensive head coach. If they went offensive head coach schwartz would've stayed on as D coordinator. I was so pissed when they brought in Ryan and it turned out to be the complete fiasco I expected.

Would love to have him back, but no way that's happening.

and yet his defense this year was very mediocre.

the guy is another Dave Wannstedt, sure he's had great defenses but he's also had lousy ones. he's by no means doing anything special or tricky or exceptional as a coach. frankly i thought Pettine had a better feel for when to blitz, what packages to have in, etc.

I hear that but remember he came in a year after meathead GM with no front officce experience, Matt Millen was canned. Millen the man that drafted busts such as Charles Rodgers, Joey Harrington and Mike Williams.

Yes still Jim was coach for 5 yrs and couldn't turn that team completely around and I get it doesn't all fall on him . But it still is his record

Schwartz came into Philly and it took a single season to improve their defense from 17th in DVOA last year to 4th.

I'm skeptical of him as a head coach but he can construct a defense and I think the players who were on that 2014 team would be fired up.

Depending on who he brings as OC, I think he'd be someone worth giving a shot. Why isn't he a candidate?

Because he wasn't very good as a head coach. People need to get it through their heads that good coordinators are not automatically good head coaches. It just doesn't work that way. Two totally different skill sets.

So if this is an excuse for Jim can't you make the same excuse for Rex? Why was Rex fired then? Because we've seen Whaley draft EJ, give away a first round pick for Watkins (when they could've had Beckham, Evans, Cooks, etc.) and then draft role players who, sure, some have been okay on a .500 team, but hasn't drafted any other standouts.

Gotta be fair if you're going to pull that card.

So if this is an excuse for Jim can't you make the same excuse for Rex? Why was Rex fired then? Because we've seen Whaley draft EJ, give away a first round pick for Watkins (when they could've had Beckham, Evans, Cooks, etc.) and then draft role players who, sure, some have been okay on a .500 team, but hasn't drafted any other standouts.

Gotta be fair if you're going to pull that card.

Dude I am no fan of Millen or Whaley.

Why isn't he a candidate with any organization so far?

I wish we could turn back the clock and hire Darrell Bevell instead of Rex. But I can't. If JS can convince Lynn to stay, and turn around the defense (again). I'm all for it. The O scores points, the D and ST need to be fixed.

Philly's defensive DVOA was ranked 4th for the year

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/final-2016-dvoa-ratings

They were 12th in points per game

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense

This is with all stars Nigel Bradham and Leodis McKelvin starting for them.