MMQB: Peter King on the Bills' HC Search

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close friends of Hughes reported that he was obsessed with the size of peas, one of his favorite foods, and used a special fork to sort them by size....this must be what he is talking about.

At least it was just the size of peas . . . unless that is a typo.

Peter King is a big fat Patriots homer. Would you expect him to say something nice about Buffalo, even if it does ring with a grain of truth?

The point PK is makes is based on information from around the league so his Patriots allegiance has little to do with the truth he speaks. The perception here is the reality as difficult as it is to accept.

Sources reporting that any Bills potential head coach will do their due diligence and confer with Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason. This came from Adam Schefter, confirmed by Ian Rapaport.

And retweeted, three days later, by Vic Carucci.

"Howard Hughes-like Pegulas"

I agree with his take on that.

Yes I am sure the Pegulas are airplane mongers.

This looks like one of the columns which was ghost written for King and does not even fit his usual pattern.

Not at all insightful and it is mostly water cooler talk.

I like King. He's pretty well connected in the NFL. Typically has good sources. When he calls, players, coaches and front office people usually answer.

But this was not insightful. I'm not even convinced it's entirely accurate.

If I'm a DC or OC hoping to be a HC for another team, I won't spend a lot of time watching pressers. Nor do I care much what's said - it's all just PR.

I will care about these things:

* What does the roster look like? We have a .500 roster - better than most new HCs.

* How much money will I have for my assistants? Pegula's willing to pay.

* Who's my QB? TT isn't worse than most QBs on bad teams with HC openings.

* How much will I be paid? Pegula will open the checkbook.

* Quality of Life? Different coaches will evaluate life in Buffalo differently.

* Do I like the people I'll be working with? Many haven't yet met Terry, Kim and/or Doug. But Terry and Kim seem like real nice people.

Astute comments. The media are being blowhards.

It's all BS. Whaley is well respected around the league. He will get our HC and nobody will turn him down. This is just media making up news like they are wont to do these days. Both the coach and the GM reported to the owner. They told us that from the beginning. The owner fired the coach and now it is the GM's job to find another one. Nothing to see here.

Wow. Reading some of the posts on this thread I feel like the collective board is clueless about the reality of how the rest of the country feels about this franchise.

I thought it impossible, but Whaley's presser created a new low for this team, he came across as incompetent, the Pegulas as a couple of amateurs and Brandon as someone doing his best to insulate himself for any and all blame so he isn't fired.

Meanwhile, on this board we get the same old ass kissing lackeys defending all of the above and blaming the media

It seems like a lot of Bills fans are as dysfunctional as this team

I live in Dallas and I can tell you definitively not only is national media trashing this team, but every NFL fan (I've spoken to many) is doing the same.

WAKE UP BUFFALO !!

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

so listen...much like free agents, Pegs has one huge advantage....he ain't scared of spending money. All things equal, i agree prolly not the most attractive job.

But one job pays $4M, and one pays $6.5M...guess where the guy goes?

Well it partially depends on how long contract is for (not all head coaches get 5 year contracts as one poster claims), tax rate (which Buffalo/New York is very high but not as high as LA) and coach's prospects for extension. Also are factors for some is how much power/influence they have in choosing players drafted/signed, how well current personnel fit their perceived plans, etc.

I do not think it is all money, But some may look at it that way but if you look at it that way coach should expect players to sit out when out of playoffs like college players do before draft.

Wow. Reading some of the posts on this thread I feel like the collective board is clueless about the reality of how the rest of the country feels about this franchise.

I thought it impossible, but Whaley's presser created a new low for this team, he came across as incompetent, the Pegulas as a couple of amateurs and Brandon as someone doing his best to insulate himself for any and all blame so he isn't fired.

Meanwhile, on this board we get the same old ass kissing lackeys defending all of the above and blaming the media

I live in Dallas and I can tell you definitively not only is national media trashing this team, but every NFL fan (I've spoken to many) is doing the same.

WAKE UP BUFFALO !!

Texas is big on everything but especially bull dung.

WAKE UP BUFFALO !!

wrecks ryan is a big reason why with his lazy attitude towards discipline, country club atmosphere and big mouth the last couple years he did more damage than good

WAKE UP BUFFALO !!

When did anyone ever stop making fun of Buffalo? Until we make the playoffs and field a good team this will continue. We could have the best GM and best new QB next year on the team and people will laugh at us until we win.

Doesn't prove or disprove anything about the reality of the situation.

If Oakland under Al Davis and Cleveland kept/keep getting coaches, I think we'll be alright.

A lot of you guys refused to believe me when I predicted this.

Who knows - maybe we will get lucky. Maybe we will end up somehow hiring someone about whom we can all get excited and rally around . . . . .

:lol:

And who exactly would that be? There's not a single hire out there that won't be complained about by at least 1/3 of the group here, and 2/3 (or more) of the media.

Edited by Acantha