Polian says candidates have reason to be wary of Buffalo

I think the key, here, is that Whaley appears to have one foot out the door.

A new coach and a (presumably) new QB, historically, means no playoffs. I think it's safe to say that if the Bills miss the playoffs again, Whaley's done.

Where's the indication from the Pegulas that this is the case?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley isn't a lame duck GM any more than Dave Caldwell, Tom Telesco, or Les Snead who also weren't fired along with the coach.

I don't recall those GMs engaging in an, "It wasn't me, it was them," battle in a public forum with their respective owners.

I'm a huge Whaley fan. But I'd be shocked if he was still the GM in Buffalo a year from now.

And I am a firm believer in the fact that this entire mess was created the day Pegulas decided to hire Rex Ryan. They created this debacle.

I think the key, here, is that Whaley appears to have one foot out the door.

A new coach and a (presumably) new QB, historically, means no playoffs. I think it's safe to say that if the Bills miss the playoffs again, Whaley's done.

Whaley was just given full responsibility of hiring the next head coach. I think that's the complete opposite of "one foot out the door."

If the new head coach is dumb enough to install a system that doesn't fit Taylor then he's not a good head coach.

I don't recall those GMs engaging in an, "It wasn't me, it was them," battle in a public forum with their respective owners.

I'm a huge Whaley fan. But I'd be shocked if he was still the GM in Buffalo a year from now.

And I am a firm believer in the fact that this entire mess was created the day Pegulas decided to hire Rex Ryan. They created this debacle.

He is also not signing the 53 like a GM is supposed to. What's this crap of waiting until he hears from the new coach on extending TT?

And didn't Terry fix that one week ago?

If the Pegulas weren't thinking long term with Whaley they wouldn't be giving him the reigns on the HC search. They could have continued with the way they did it last time. Instead they gave him an extension before the season and gave him more, not less, control. If they were upset that his press conference made them have to do clarifying interviews to the media, I'm not sure it means that they are throwing the whole plan out the window. They may have a discussion about handling press conferences, maybe?

The fact that the structure in the org appears to be changing and confusing the media doesn't mean they are confused too.

I was not confused by the fact that he didn't hire and fire Rex in 2015 because the Pegulas had owned the team for all of 3 months with they were unexpectedly faced with hirig a new coach and were still in the process of getting to know and evaluate Whaley as a GM. And that he now has gotten an extension two years later and will be trusted with hiring the new coach. For some reason it is hard for the media to understand that things have evolved in the time they bought the team.

Edited by YoloinOhio

And didn't Terry fix that one week ago?

Well, no, not really. Because with Rex came Tyrod and we're still stuck with him until a new HC is hired. So we're going into the season with no QB at the moment.

Throwing Whaley to the wolves for that idiotic presser was another nice, classy move on the Pegulas' part. The cute little conference call Terry did the next day wasn't a fix for that, either.

So far, the Pegulas have damaged the schit out of this team.

But God damn, those season tickets sure sold over the last two years.

Edited by Gugny

I think what Whaley was saying (or attempting to say) in the presser was that he wasn't involved in the phone call or any substantive meeting with the theme of "Should we fire Rex or keep him?"

I don't believe Whaley never over the course of the season said things to the Pegulas that may have undermined Rex. It would be hard to believe he hadn't.

The team has been stuck at .500, +/- 1 game. So either the GM is failing to produce a winning roster or the coach is failing to coach the team to it's potential. I don't know Doug Whaley at all but it's easy to guess he think it's the latter. When he says the Bills are close, he's hinting that the roster is good enough. So that's got to be what he's been telling Terry and Kim: this roster is a good one, In other words, the coach is under-performing.

Pegula probably didn't consult with Whaley before firing Rex because (1) Rex forced Terry's hand and the firing went off prematurely, and (2) he just didn't need to. Whaley wasn't Rex's boss and, in any case, Terry already knew Whaley's frustrations.

Whaley probably went into the presser with some general thoughts about the coaching search. He was clearly unprepared to get lambasted with questions about Rex's firing. While trying to be truthful, he was also probably torn by thoughts that he didn't want to be blamed by the new coach for firing a coach after just 2 years, or whatever. Clearly his answers were inelegant. But I do think Terry and Doug were both telling some version of the truth.

Polian suggesting Whaley's lying without inside information is too much. Why would he speculate publicly? He's clearly not a Whaley supporter - and that could be bad news in and of itself since Polian is a smart football guy. But you wonder if sour grapes are involved - maybe he wanted a position with the Bills and the Polians never offered.

Polian is supposed to be friendly with the Pegulas. You don't publicly bad-mouth your friends' team when they're in the middle of a coaching search. That was disloyal to the Pegulas and, worse, disloyal to the Bills and all our fans.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Well, no, not really. Because with Rex came Tyrod and we're still stuck with him until a new HC is hired. So we're going into the season with no QB at the moment.

Sicking Whaley to the wolves for that idiotic presser was another nice, classy move on the Pegulas' part. The cute little conference call Terry did the next day wasn't a fix for that, either.

What?

If not for Tyrod, Bills would be fielding Cassel and EJ over the last two seasons.

Unless your theory is that with those guys starting, Bills would have had a realistic shot at Goff or Wentz?

What?

If not for Tyrod, Bills would be fielding Cassel and EJ over the last two seasons.

Unless your theory is that with those guys starting, Bills would have had a realistic shot at Goff or Wentz?

Nothing good has come from the Tyrod Taylor era. We've seen two consecutive years of regression at the position, as well as at a team level.

Nothing good has come from the Tyrod Taylor era. We've seen two consecutive years of regression at the position, as well as at a team level.

Check your meds. How did the position get worse than Orton/Manuel?

Check your meds. How did the position get worse than Orton/Manuel?

Look at the passing offense. Look at the team's record. Tyrod is just the latest Bills QB who tried really hard but couldn't keep himself from sucking.

Throwing Whaley to the wolves for that idiotic presser was another nice, classy move on the Pegulas' part. The cute little conference call Terry did the next day wasn't a fix for that, either.

I hope this is only an opinion, because it is blatantly wrong.

24-24 50% since Pegulas,

88-136 38% since last playoff appearance. finished last in division 6 consecutive seasons prior to them buying the team.

Edited by horned dogs

Look at the passing offense. Look at the team's record. Tyrod is just the latest Bills QB who tried really hard but couldn't keep himself from sucking.

Look at the total offense, and it's not even a discussion. With Rex gutting the defense and with Cassell or EJ at QB, Bills would have contended for the top pick in the 2016 draft. It shouldn't even be a debate.

It is not just Polian (or any of the other guys who have commented) who thinks that the Bills job is not particularly desirable . . . or that the Bills aren't looking at A-list candidates:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/bills-arent-looking-for-a-list-coaches-yet/

who are the "a-list" candidates? Mcdaniels and Patricia? Neither are likely to want to coach in the division of the Pats.