Define "accountability"

SDS

accountability is to each other on the team, not to the fans, not to writers or media

Your doing everything you can do to help us achieve the ultimate goal. Your reliable, you show up, your prepared, no excuses excited and ready to play. If your not (here is the accountable part) you have to answer to your teammates why they should bust their ass but you don't need to. What I feel the Bills need is a group of guys they have to answer to = leadership and they don't have it.

A locker room where there is not accountability by the players will not jell and will not win in any sport

I understand your frustrations, but that's weak leadership. He can be made to care and perform. Saban did it.

its easy to care when you dominate players who aren't NFL Caliber, plays 70% he still the best player on the field. Not in the NFL hasnt learned that yet. Too complicated ? This is your job -study- its what you do when you go to work.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its easy to care when you dominate players who aren't NFL Caliber, plays 70% he still the best player on the field. Not in the NFL hasnt learned that yet. Too complicated ? This is your job -study- its what you do when you go to work.

Oh, Im not saying weak leadership caused his issues. I meant that walking away from your supposed best player due to behavior problems that should be correctable is being a weak leader. If the Bills were to cut ties with Dareus right now, it would be surrendering.

Of course there is a limit. I just dont think we're there yet.

And Dareus still dominates players, even in the NFL. Gotta get his head on straight so he can do it consistently.

Edited by DrDareustein

I think of accountable recognizing and fixing your own shortcomings.

If you don't know the playbook, study it.

If you are making stupid penalties, stop it.

If you are not wrapping up on tackles, start doing it.

etc.

It shouldn't take a coach or a team captain to point out these kinds of mistakes. Fix them on the next play. Fix them the next week. Fix them on your own.

Accountability:

Tyrod Taylor never publicly complaining that things would be better if we had a healthy Sammy Clay and Woods instead of for long stretches this year our WR core being Justin Hunter Dez Lewis Maglass Goodwin and that time we had to get Percy Harvin off his couch.

But yea. Get rid of him. Keep Dareus.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by Big Blitz

This word gets thrown around an awful lot on sports forums. I've never had anyone actually define what they mean by it and I would not be shocked if the definition varied greatly from person to person.

So what is your definition in holding a player who makes $20 million "accountable" and explain why that is meaningful in any way, shape or form?

The only way you can hold someone who makes that much money accountable....hit the pockets....and hit them hard...

Well. It's very very rare to find a dog that's not incented by something. Sometimes "not incented by food" means not the right food. Sometimes the dog really doesn't care about food, but they're incented by praise, or by a chance to play with a special toy and have it tossed around for them. The trick is to find what the dog is inspired by.

So by analogy, if you have a modern player who is in it only for the check, either they need to have their contract structured so that they can be deprived if they don't get with the program, or, one needs to explore if there is in fact anything else at all that motivates them. If they've truly 100% checked out and don't care about their teammates or winning, they are a cancer and they just need to GTFO even if it hurts the cap.

Good post. You are a breath of fresh air on this board .

I think of accountable recognizing and fixing your own shortcomings.

If you don't know the playbook, study it.

If you are making stupid penalties, stop it.

If you are not wrapping up on tackles, start doing it.

etc.

It shouldn't take a coach or a team captain to point out these kinds of mistakes. Fix them on the next play. Fix them the next week. Fix them on your own.

and then, what inspires and NFL player to do that?

Even Gilmore, who is in a contract year befuddles me by his play.

On the other side, watch Robert Woods, who just grinds.

It starts by bringing in the right people. There will always be mistakes, but, too many "key" performers on the Bills are not "all in."

what do you mean by, the Right People?

Accountability: Tyrod Taylor never publicly complaining that things would be better if we had a healthy Sammy Clay and Woods instead of for long stretches this year our WR core being Justin Hunter Dez Lewis Maglass Goodwin and that time we had to get Percy Harvin off his couch. But yea. Get rid of him. Keep Dareus. Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

point taken

The only way you can hold someone who makes that much money accountable....hit the pockets....and hit them hard...

or kick them in the nuts

Good post. You are a breath of fresh air on this board .

naw, he's been here awhile. and always been like this.

We will break him in time.

resistance is futile

Draft and FA...bring in the right people. Not sure why you're capitalizing.

For Emphasis

I thought you might be talking about management. and you should be.

Accountability shouldn't refer to consequences for failure, it should refer to the mindset of each man to be mentally and physically prepared to do and give everything in his power to drive the team to victory. It should be his oath to his teammates and coaches that they can always count on him.

It's what makes him study game plans and prepare for opponents.

It's what keeps him from drawing stupid, pointless personal foul penalties.

It's what makes him put his head down and drive an extra two yards for a key first down.

It's what makes him aware of the situation so he doesn't run out of bounds and preserve clock for the opponents.

It's what keeps him from smoking pot and getting suspended again.

It's what keep him from showing up fat and out of shape.

You see guys who exemplify this standard all over the NFL. You just don't see many of them playing or coaching for the Bills.

Accountability shouldn't refer to consequences for failure, it should refer to the mindset of each man to be mentally and physically prepared to do and give everything in his power to drive the team to victory. It should be his oath to his teammates and coaches that they can always count on him.

It's what makes him put his head down and drive an extra two yards for a key first down.

It's what makes him aware of the situation so he doesn't run out of bounds and preserve clock for the opponents.

You see guys who exemplify this standard all over the NFL. You just don't see many of them playing or coaching for the Bills.

Mic dropped!

I see accountability as after the fact. What you're describing is more proactive, like self-awareness or even respect.

Any sad-sack can take blame for something.

The majority of being accountable is being committed to preventing the problem.

This is it!! It being personally demanding of oneself and each other on a team. This applies at work or play in all of our lives.