Freudian Slip?? Here's why A-Lynn Spoke First

theRalph

The Bills are being mauled in the national media for their apparent botching of the PR side of Rex's firing. At first, I also thought it awkward.

Now I believe it was quite calculated, and possibly brilliant. Here's why:

1. If Whaley or Brandon (or even Terry Pegula) appeared before the press, the questions about the in-season firing of Rex and disposition on Tyrod would have been relentless. Buffalo wants to maintain the trade value of Taylor without risking injury to him. A-Lynn was most certainly in the meeting that determined EJ would start, but he was given the out of being able to say he wasn't in the meeting. The Bills avoided answering questions by staging an awkward presser that, for all its Jerry Sullivan induced scandal, revealed little or nothing of the Bills' plan.

2. And they've been accused of not having a plan. I believe they do. A-Lynn's gaffe of replying "Cardale Jones" to the question of the starting QB versus the Jets, was truly a mistake according to WGR550's Sal Capaccio. But it was certainly a Freudian Slip. Although no formal interview has been conducted, you can bet that Lynn has sat down with the Pegulas and Whaley and laid out his plan as concisely as he answered football questions in his presser. His plan IS Cardale Jones who is a WINNER and will start in 2017. He may even be considering bringing Mike Pettine in on the defensive side. He was impressive for situation he was thrust into. That press conference was every bit a part of his audition. He is the next Bills' head coach.

3. And speaking of Mike Pettine... It's well-known he's a maniac about detail and order. And just like a rock band that is good with certain members, but loses something when one is replaced, Rex lost something when he parted ways with Mike Pettine. Rex Ryan needs, in any coaching capacity, a detail-obsessed aide that holds sway over him. Someone that's able to act as a check and balance against Rex's emotion-driven coaching style. Rex's defenses haven't been worth a darn since he and Pettine parted ways.

You may be on to something here, time will tell. For me, assuming the Pegulas are competent actors, their faith in Whaley says to me that he was vocally against signing Rex. That's the only way one sanely keeps him on. Maybe they are playing 4D chess.

I like this theory. Particularly Rex does need the accountability-types as his coordinators. That's why Lynn exceeded as OC. While Rob failed as DC (not his official title, but we all know who he was).

If Lynn is hired, is Kromer the OC, and DC is ....

If the Bill's reveal they're done with Tyrod, his trade value disappears. The best way not to reveal it is to avoid the question by not putting the brass on the stand. Not so much a smoke screen...they're just not saying. On anything. And they don't have to.

The Bills are being mauled in the national media for their apparent botching of the PR side of Rex's firing. At first, I also thought it awkward.

1. If Whaley or Brandon (or even Terry Pegula) appeared before the press, the questions about the in-season firing of Rex and disposition on Tyrod would have been relentless. Buffalo wants to maintain the trade value of Taylor without risking injury to him. A-Lynn was most certainly in the meeting that determined EJ would start, but he was given the out of being able to say he wasn't in the meeting. The Bills avoided answering questions by staging an awkward presser that, for all its Jerry Sullivan induced scandal, revealed little or nothing of the Bills' plan.

2. And they've been accused of not having a plan. I believe they do. A-Lynn's gaffe of replying "Cardale Jones" to the question of the starting QB versus the Jets, was truly a mistake according to WGR550's Sal Capaccio. But it was certainly a Freudian Slip. Although no formal interview has been conducted, you can bet that Lynn has sat down with the Pegulas and Whaley and laid out his plan as concisely as he answered football questions in his presser. His plan IS Cardale Jones who is a WINNER and will start in 2017. He may even be considering bringing Mike Pettine in on the defensive side. He was impressive for situation he was thrust into. That press conference was every bit a part of his audition. He is the next Bills' head coach.

3. And speaking of Mike Pettine... It's well-known he's a maniac about detail and order. And just like a rock band that is good with certain members, but loses something when one is replaced, Rex lost something when he parted ways with Mike Pettine. Rex Ryan needs, in any coaching capacity, a detail-obsessed aide that holds sway over him. Someone that's able to act as a check and balance against Rex's emotion-driven coaching style. Rex's defenses haven't been worth a darn since he and Pettine parted ways.

They will either opt in on his extension or let him go to the open market. There is no trade value.

I like this theory. Particularly Rex does need the accountability-types as his coordinators. That's why Lynn exceeded as OC. While Rob failed as DC (not his official title, but we all know who he was).

If Lynn is hired, is Kromer the OC, and DC is ....

Mike Pettine. Almost a certainty.

Or they just don't have a clue on how to deal openly and honestly with the press and their fans.

If Rex was let go with 1 week to go in the season because he wouldn't sit Tyrod to avoid injury in a meaningless game Brandon and Whaley (and perhaps the Pegula's) should have shown the intestinal fortitude to come out before the press and say that's the reason they made this decision rather than waiting until the final game. The excuse this is the regular coaches PC is weak given the changes, rumors, and confusion that have transpired the past few days.

Or was Rex let go early because they wanted to avoid a potential circus atmosphere the last week of the season playing the Jets and also give Lynn a one-game experience as the HC? Or sit Taylor to give EJ a final game to show his worth? What harm could a little truth and transparency do?

My problem with management at this point is they appear to be both incompetent and dishonest. I sincerely doubt that is the kind of operation Terry Pegula has in mind and I wish to the Football Gods that the light would come on in his mind and he'd come to the realization these guys are clowns, something radical needs to be done, and he'd clean house and bring in some new blood with an fresh perspective.

1. I don't think the Pegulas botched the firing. Rex was going to try and win the last game, which meant starting Tyrod. Whaley and the Pegulas wanted to protect themselves from the injury clause and make sure Tyrod didn't get injured. The HC decides what players start and play, not the GM or owner so Rex had to go. Realistically Taylor has no trade value with his current contract, but I guess you never know.

2. EJ gets the start and Cardale likely gets time on the field. It'll be good to see how he's coming along. As for Lynn, I'd think he has enough to do this week. I'm sure he'll get an interview, but it'll be after Sunday.

3. Pettine is a good DC, but he's not HC material. Word from Cleveland is that once the veteran players figured out he was in over his head and didn't know what he was doing, they tuned him out. Thus his quick exit.

Edited by BarleyNY

He may even be considering bringing Mike Pettine in on the defensive side.

Sorry to pick out one sentence of your entire post but I keep seeing this and I don't understand it.

Why do people think Pettine did a good job with this D. So good, in fact, that he should be brought back?

Everybody agrees Rex's defenses the past two years have been garbage. That garbage has been better than what Pettine did with the D in terms of scoring D.

2016 D - (Rex/Thurman) 23.2 (15th in NFL)

2015 D - (Rex/Thurman) 22.4 (15th)

2013 D (Pettine) - 24.2 ppg (20th)

Pettine's D only looked good - in Bills fans' eyes - because they finally logged some sacks and it followed Wanstadt's horrible defense of 2012 (27.2 ppg, 26th in NFL)

Dude, not paying attention. Here's the link to the actual text of the presser

Q: Why EJ?

Lynn: That was a business decision. We want to look at the depth of our quarterback position, and we're out of the playoffs, so we want to see what the other two guys can do.

Q: Does that put this team in the best position to win?

Lynn: I'm fine with EJ Manuel starting the game. For me, it's always the next man up. If Tyrod Taylor pulled a hamstring, we would be going with EJ, so that's kind of my approach.

Q: Was EJ your preference?

Lynn: EJ was the next man in line. We have a depth chart there. It's Tyrod, EJ, Cardale, and EJ was just the next man up.

Q: Was this your decision?

Lynn: It was our decision.

He's saying pretty clearly it is not his decision to bench TT: "that was a business decision". It's not as clear what he means by "our decision": he could mean "our decision" as in "us, the Bills organization" or he could mean it was the offensive coaches decision to stay with the depth chart and start EJ over Cardale, once TT was taken off the table as a "business decision". But nowhere is he saying it was his decision or a coaching decision to bench TT.

Q: You called it a business decision not to play Tyrod, are there any other players you would hold out because they're injured?

Lynn: No, everybody's playing. Like I said, at that position, we wanted to look at the depth, and I can definitely understand that.

Q: Did it have anything to do with the potential ramifications of Taylor's contract if he got seriously hurt? Because we're talking $30 million there.

Lynn: I don't know.

Q: What do you mean you don't know? Did it or didn't it?

Lynn: I don't know about that. I wasn't in that meeting when that decision was made, so I don't know.

He's already said it was a business decision to bench TT and he wasn't in the meeting where the business decision was made.

I would say this is not a guy who will lie or dissemble, so I see no reason to believe he was in the room where the decision to bench TT was made.

He said it wasn't his decision, he said it was a business decision, he said he wasn't in the room, take him at his word. There is really no evidence to support anything else.

If the Bill's reveal they're done with Tyrod, his trade value disappears. The best way not to reveal it is to avoid the question by not putting the brass on the stand. Not so much a smoke screen...they're just not saying. On anything. And they don't have to.

Except Whaley will be having a presser on Monday.

Mike Pettine. Almost a certainty.

What is up with the Pettine love? His run D sucked here, his run D sucked in Cleveland, and his run D was mediocre in 2011 and sucked in 2012 with the Jets.

Pettine would not, on the record, be a good choice to take the Bills D to the next level.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

That's the common theory every time the Bills coaches or FO !@#$s up.

Some defenders are as predictable as their whipping boy Sullivan. The bottom line is Rex was a bad hire from the start, they should have communicated that they wanted to run a 4-3 and nothing else. He was never going to do that, and that would have been the end of discussion. It was their hire they got what they paid for.

What we saw on the field was a scheme that has been passed by a bit due to the changes in the game, no doubt. Combine that with the majority of the players on D who didn't care to make it work as well as it could haves me you get two years of WTF. You don't get blasted for 200 yards repeatedly if your giving it a fair try. Rex had to go. The FO didn't have to bungle up the past few years and they certainly haven't looked competent early on in this transition process. Whaley needs a yes man in a last attempt to show Pegula how good this roster is. Everything points to Lynn being the hire, from now until that announcement is made stop twirling in the wind looking for excuses for OBD. Surely once you find an excuse they will screw it all up again and leave you digging deeper.

I don't think there is any grand conspiracy or some elaborate grand strategy.

I think you have a lot of people in the front office who go by the "well that's not in my job description...I'm not going out there". That's Russ Brandon.

A GM who's more comfortable hiding in the office because conveying information in the spotlight of the press requires public speaking skills and confidence in those skills.

You have an owner, Kim Pegula, who IMO enjoys being the owner so long as it remains softball questions and press junkets with nice photos. Otherwise she defers to the two gentlemen above because they are "football people" and when all else fails, Terry Pegula steps in to add a fourth cook in the kitchen.

I have little doubt in my mind that Lynn was out there because there was a vacuum of leadership. Whaley should have been out there, to take charge of the press conference and lead in to Lynn. Hell, Kim Pegula should been out there. She's the boss.

They don't have to defend their decisions but explain them. "Hey we let Rex go because he wasn't meeting our expectations." It's good to have high expectations. "Hey, we aren't playing Tyrod because an injury in the last game of a season where we're not eliminated form the playoffs benefits neither player nor team going into 2017. It's good to be smart about $30 million dollars.

What we saw on the field was a scheme that has been passed by a bit due to the changes in the game, no doubt.

Can you explain this a bit further? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I always thought that utilizing the 3-4 as the base defense gave the DC an advantage in terms of versatility. Linebackers that can either rush the passer, play the run, or drop into coverage. That is, of course, if the DC had the proper personnel.

The Bills were clearly lacking a true NT for the scheme, and many have contended that Preston Brown was playing out of position as a 3-4 ILB. Also, not having competent safeties hurt us, but that would adversely impact any defense regardless of scheme.

Not trying to defend Rex's 3-4 at all, but wondering why you think the scheme itself is somewhat antiquated.

Sorry to pick out one sentence of your entire post but I keep seeing this and I don't understand it.

Why do people think Pettine did a good job with this D. So good, in fact, that he should be brought back?

Everybody agrees Rex's defenses the past two years have been garbage. That garbage has been better than what Pettine did with the D in terms of scoring D.

2016 D - (Rex/Thurman) 23.2 (15th in NFL)

2015 D - (Rex/Thurman) 22.4 (15th)

2013 D (Pettine) - 24.2 ppg (20th)

Pettine's D only looked good - in Bills fans' eyes - because they finally logged some sacks and it followed Wanstadt's horrible defense of 2012 (27.2 ppg, 26th in NFL)

Preach it Brotha! Add in Pettine's D in 2015 and 2016 in Cleveland, and 2011/2012 with NYJ.

2011 D NYJ - (Rex/Pettine) 22.7 ppg, 20th in NFL, 13th vs Run

2012 D NYJ - (Rex/Pettine) 23.4 ppg, 20th in NFL, 26th vs Run

2013 D BB - (Marrone/Pettine) 24.3 ppg, 20th in NFL, 28th vs Run

2014 D Browns (Pettine/O'Neil) 21.1 ppg, 9th in NFL, 32nd vs Run

2015 D Browns (Pettine/O'Neil) 27 ppg, 29th in the NFL, 30th vs Run

:sick: Wow, with that track record on 3 teams, I see why he's the guy you want to hire to improve our D? :death: