Sully: Bills' bozos leave Lynn to twist on his own

Rico

Four minutes is enough time to get the ball back. The Bills defense stopped the Dolphins on the prior drive and the Dolphins took 2:19 off the clock.

People have treated Rex's decision to punt as essentially insane and no other coach would have done the same thing. Yet, the other coach (who some here have praised) - in the same game on the preceding drive - decided to punt from OUR end of the field.

Two of the criticisms were that we punted because we could not rely on our defense and we needed the win. Gase decided to punt even though the Dolphins defense gave up MORE yards than the Bills and the Dolphins needed two wins going into the game to control their own destiny. Although a tie would not eliminate them, they would need help from other teams and/or have to beat the Patriots in week 17. Going into the weekend, a tie would only clinch a playoff spot for the Dolphins in combination with a (1) loss by Baltimore; AND (2) a loss by Denver; AND (3) Houston loss or tie; or (4) a Tennessee loss or tie.

Obviously, the Bills lost the game. There are a lot of reasons for the loss. These include, among other things, missed field goals, missed PI calls in the end zone, and missed tackles. The Bills fought back from being down to take the lead and lost to a good team by three points and should have won the game but for a missed field goal in OT and missed PI calls and tackles. But to many here and in the media, this game is known as the game where Rex was insane to punt the ball and no other coach or person who was not brain dead would have made the same decision.

Nevertheless, with all due respect to the many here and in the media, the decision to punt was not as illogical or insane as many here and in the media think. I understand why a coach could decide to go for it or punt. If I had to make the call, I could have gone either way. Head coaches have to make tough calls. Gase and Rex made similar calls not knowing whether they would get the ball back in OT.

Just my two cents.

Just to be clear, Peter, I don't fault the decision to punt one way or the other. Coach's don't have the luxury of hindsight and have to make real time decisions in stressful situations. I'm just saying that I've heard Whaley and Pegula weren't happy with it as soon as the decision was made and I think it was another nail in Ryan's coffin.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, Peter, I don't fault the decision to punt one way or the other. Coach's don't have the luxury of hindsight and have to make real time decisions in stressful situations. I'm just saying that I've heard Whaley and Pegula weren't happy with it as soon as the decision was made and I think it was another nail in Ryan's coffin.

Thank you for your information and taking my post seriously.

Edited by Peter

kicking the can down the road for a week while their spin doctors get their stories straight is weak as hell.

The action says that firing the public face of the franchise is completely routine, so much so that it isn't even worth changing the weekly schedule to address it and try to get their message to the public, including their customers.

On the other hand, changing coaches every 2 or 3 years really has become the status quo. Maybe fans should just shut up and accept whatever the party line serves up next. B-)

kicking the can down the road for a week while their spin doctors get their stories straight is weak as hell.

Yep.

The action says that firing the public face of the franchise is completely routine, so much so that it isn't even worth changing the weekly schedule to address it and try to get their message to the public, including their customers.

On the other hand, changing coaches every 2 or 3 years really has become the status quo. Maybe fans should just shut up and accept whatever the party line serves up next. B-)

I'm not sure why other people can't see how obvious this is.

It's just consistently bad decision making with the press and people wonder why the press HATES them.

The press is trying to stir up interest.........there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Get on the mic and say........YES Rex wasn't getting it done and YES we are moving on from Tyrod.

Then the press can write their stories.........fans can read and come to grips with it and that helps them stay engaged.

WNY and CNY Bills fans are losing interest in an unlikeable product/group of characters at OBD.

Yes, yes. He's too busy and he had zero input.

Slow clap.

Look, this is unworthy of you. I've admired a lot of what you write, and you're obviously like myself, a long term fan who is enormously frustrated.

There's a big gap between saying "Whaley fired Rex and should show up and answer questions about it" and saying "Whaley had influence and input into the decision to fire Rex", and you must know this. So why not acknowledge it?

This is a very valid point. But the people who should step out and answer questions are frankly, the people who made the decision to hire Rex, and then to fire Rex.

That would be the Pegulas. And if they choose to issue a press release then stay home, there's really not too much Brandon or Whaley can do about that.

Yep.

I'm not sure why other people can't see how obvious this is.

not only that, but the idea that the press should only ask questions that the bills want to answer...and answere them only when they damn well want to and not a minute before...is so STUPID AND ARROGANT that it makes me think Brandon really does have interns and lackeys posting here. i mean, COME ON.

not only that, but the idea that the press should only ask questions that the bills want to answer...and answere them only when they damn well want to and not a minute before...is so STUPID AND ARROGANT that it makes me think Brandon really does have interns and lackeys posting here. i mean, COME ON.

^^^ Well said!

Pretty obvious who they are, all you can do is laugh. :lol:

Look, this is unworthy of you. I've admired a lot of what you write, and you're obviously like myself, a long term fan who is enormously frustrated.

There's a big gap between saying "Whaley fired Rex and should show up and answer questions about it" and saying "Whaley had influence and input into the decision to fire Rex", and you must know this. So why not acknowledge it?

You are right. My frustration boiled over there. There are plenty of posts trying to slander the media as "the problem", incompetent, hugely horrible at their jobs, etc. and trying overly hard to nudge the splitting of hairs in defense of certain members of the organization.

I think I've clearly said that I believe Whaley has had influence and input in many of the decisions made. Trying to make excuses for him doesn't resonate with me.

Should Whaley or someone else, anyone else, hold a presser and answer a few questions? Of course they should. That's how PR works in general. You want change then you pitch that change to your customers and sell it as a good thing.

And you are spot on that these last two things are distinct. The reality that Brandon and Whaley and Pegullible discuss the team is one thing. That there wasn't any press conference about firing Ryan is a second thing.

This is a very valid point. But the people who should step out and answer questions are frankly, the people who made the decision to hire Rex, and then to fire Rex.

That would be the Pegulas. And if they choose to issue a press release then stay home, there's really not too much Brandon or Whaley can do about that.

If that is the case, then Sullivan was on target with his criticism of ownership. Pegula firing Ryan and then not answering questions nor even trotting out a PR person to answer questions makes the organization look bush league. In fact, just coming out and owning the decision would probably have made him look like a hero to many. "Yeah, I screwed up. Ryan was a bad fit and I had to relieve him." Instead its a swirling stew of speculation, opinion, etc.

Jerry Sullivan has the guts to say what many people won't say. Many of you bash him regularly because it's easy to do- blame the messenger.

The ONLY thing keeping the Bills and Sabres in the black is our loyalty, and that's stone cold truth. The strains of that are showing as Bills fans attack other Bills fans and Sabres fans face the same dilemma down the road as things collapse.

How much more crap will you take being dumped on your head before you stop blaming everyone but where it originates from? OWNERSHIP.

If that is the case, then Sullivan was on target with his criticism of ownership. Pegula firing Ryan and then not answering questions nor even trotting out a PR person to answer questions makes the organization look bush league. In fact, just coming out and owning the decision would probably have made him look like a hero to many. "Yeah, I screwed up. Ryan was a bad fit and I had to relieve him." Instead its a swirling stew of speculation, opinion, etc.

I think it's what Pegula should have done myself, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and consider he thinks that his press release sufficed.

It's again, a valid point that he could have sent a PR guy out there to read the press release and repeat a couple of statements in response to questions.

I think it's what Pegula should have done myself, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and consider he thinks that his press release sufficed.

It's again, a valid point that he could have sent a PR guy out there to read the press release and repeat a couple of statements in response to questions.

Absolutely.

Let's see if we can wrap our heads around this duel reality:

Pegula is inept at the PR aspects of ownership and issuing a press release was another example of his bungling ways.

Sully is a prick who knew full well beforehand that Lynn wasn't going to answer any questions about Ryan, that Whaley would next Monday, and that the weekly coach's presser should be confined to discussion about preparations for the upcoming game. Instead, he chose to disregard and sensationalize.

A criticism of Sully is not the same as an endorsement of Pegula, Whaley, or anyone else.

Some fans want so desperately to believe in the Bills that they simply cannot allow themselves to acknowledge that the organization is in a state of complete dysfunction. Admitting that would be giving up short-term hope in the team, and their psyche won't allow it. They've invested too much.

Complete dysfunction? This strikes me as the opposite extreme from those fans that so desperately want to believe.

If Lynn is smart he'll coach up a storm on Sunday then run away from OBD as fast as he can. The organization threw him under the bus with that presser. No support whatsoever from the organization to deflect some of the questions that clearly dealt with organizational issues, were to be expected given the firing of Wrex, and were not within the purview of the interim head coach. If "they" left him swinging in the wind on day 1, what can he expect when the sledding gets really rough?

Got picked up nationally and split as soon as he could. I dont blame him.

I think Tyler still lives in Buffalo, though. He was definitely the best football writer (after Mark Gaughan moved to college sports) by a mile and I didn't think he'd last long with those clowns.