Sully: Bills' bozos leave Lynn to twist on his own

Rico

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some crappy jobs in my life growing up - milking cows - pitched manure by hand with a pitchfork - harvested veggies from huge farm fields - and a variety of dirty manual labor. Thankfully I worked and educated my way out of those jobs.

But I still have more respect for anyone doing any of those jobs to make a living than I have for any sports journalist who writes opinionated pieces or who injects opinion into pieces that are classified as newsworthy. Those journalists should be picking the cowshit out of the cracks of the bottom of the boots that our local farmers wear to work every day. That's where they belong.

good for you dave, but maybe it's not for you to decide what everyone else should do for a living and what their jobs are worth...wtf is that??! :huh:

The amateur hour nature of the team lends itself to this kind of stuff.

It's hard to take the front office seriously. Their results are bad, its been 17 years since this franchise even appeared in the "Houston gets humiliated" round of the playoffs, let alone any kind of real run.

:lol::lol:

1. Are you responsible for the leaks that started after the oakland game?

Questions that won't get answered are stupid questions to ask when your job is to ask questions.

1a. (when he inevitably stammers out his denial) Since only a tiny number of people could have been involved in that decision, who did it?

I don't know what "that decision is" so I can't say what his response would/should have been to "it". But it doesn't seem to be getting at any information that wasn't already known.

2. Why didn't anyone in the organization take questions after rex's firing?

In this case he would have been so...but regardless, see no. 1

3. Why was Anthony Lynn told to sit Tyrod.

See no. 1

4. Were you on board with Rex's hiring? His firing?

We already know this answer, it's been reported on tirelessly and he's on record about it

5. Do you think the Bills recent draft history has anything to do with the current record?

Why would Doug Whaley have to rush to the microphone before week 17 to answer this?

6. In retrospect, would you have done the Watkins deal? The Lawson deal?

See above

I don't see how having a press conference to answer these particular questions would have been fruitful. In fact, if they would have held a press conference to ask these questions, most of which aren't timely to the past week's events anyways, Sully's complaint column would have been about how nobody ever answers their stupid questions.

oh my god, you are for russian-style propaganda, aren't you?

if you really think it's stupid to ask a question because brother has decided he doesn't want to hear it, then you don't really want journalism.

1a's "decision" was the choice to throw rex under the bus with those leaks. only a handful of people could have been involved in the decision-making process, so i'd love to see the look on whaley's face if he's asked about it point blank.

and why would doug whaley have to answer a question about his drafting when they just fired a coach for not winning enough games? oh, geez...i don't know...you're right that's silly. he's management so he has to be infallible, i guess.

Vintage Sully! :worthy:

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/28/1223432/

"Anthony Lynn's inaugural press conference as the Bills' head coach was not exactly a public relations triumph. It was, quite predictably, the latest installment in the Pegulas' amateur hour production as pro sports owners."

Can't wait for next Monday's presser! :thumbsup:

Sully is off target as usual. Lynn is the new HC. Of course, he did a presser. Of course, he wasn't entirely smooth and natural in front of all those cameras.

I imagine Brandon or someone asked if he felt up to a presser. Lynn is no coward and probably said he did.

In any case, Lynn is a grown man and a professional. This is the kind of stuff that just goes with the territory. You do a presser. Life goes on.

Because the HC spoke at the mandatory HC presser during a game week.

Or because they told the media that the management will hold their presser Monday well before said Mandatory Weekly Presser

Go get em bobby. Your heroes can do no wrong. 17 years and counting. Nothing to be upset about here.

Is there anything funnier than watching a local sports writer explain how pro sports owners are bozos?

If only these owners held the real key to success: sitting in a cubicle eating leftover holiday fruitcake while sipping lukewarm coffee from a recycled, washed-out Hortons cup while typing judgmental thoughts about people he could never, ever come to understand.

If only local sports writers were in charge..then and only then would the world be beautiful.

That's the irony of the job. They critique folks who have completely outclassed them in every single measure in life.

Well, except maybe Sully is a better speller. The spirit of what he states has merit. The venom and condescending manor, complete with personal attacks and name calling... well that's sort of amateur hour

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

I'd say the petulant children are the ones shilling for a perpetually failed management team and crying about the media 24/7...now what?

i will be the first to admit- no PROCLAIM that Bucky, Sully and their bastard stepbrother Harrington spend too much time trolling these teams to be taken seriously all the time.

But that doesn't mean they're not right sometimes. In this case they are. It is freaking amateur hour at OBD...I just wish it only lasted an hour.

Somebody who gets it. There are others out there just like me. Good to know Im not alone.

What, exactly, are you upset about with this press conference?

The only legit complaint about the press conference is that it was the wrong press conference for some of the questions posed and to whom they were posed. It was the weekly Wednesday coach's PC that serves to entertain questions relating to the upcoming game. Period.

Berchtold should have done his job and clearly defines the parameters.

The Bills should have made the only person who could fire Ryan, Pegula, available or at least made it clear that all questions relative to the firing would be addressed at the annual post season PC with Whaley, Pegula, Brando, whomever.

And for all the media reports about how the Bills left Lynn out to dry, the media should own up to their complicity. They were the ones doing the hanging. By design. And it was completely unnecessary. Their unprofessionalism has cost them a ton of access, even created some animosity over the years and their bitterness about that comes to the fore at every opportunity.

Is it any wonder their collective credibility is called into question?

oh my god, you are for russian-style propaganda, aren't you?

if you really think it's stupid to ask a question because brother has decided he doesn't want to hear it, then you don't really want journalism.

1a's "decision" was the choice to throw rex under the bus with those leaks. only a handful of people could have been involved in the decision-making process, so i'd love to see the look on whaley's face if he's asked about it point blank.

and why would doug whaley have to answer a question about his drafting when they just fired a coach for not winning enough games? oh, geez...i don't know...you're right that's silly. he's management so he has to be infallible, i guess.

You don't have a clue how the media and media relations work. I haven't offered a single clue as to how I think things SHOULD be. I only know--intimately--how things are. Take it or leave it. But it's clear that it's a topic you don't know much about.

The only legit complaint about the press conference is that it was the wrong press conference for some of the questions posed and to whom they were posed. It was the weekly Wednesday coach's PC that serves to entertain questions relating to the upcoming game. Period.

The Bills should have made the only person who could fire Ryan, Pegula, available or at least made it clear that all questions relative to the firing would be addressed at the annual post season PC with Whaley, Pegula, Brando, whomever.

And for all the media reports about how the Bills left Lynn out to dry, the media should own up to their complicity. They were the ones doing the hanging. By design. And it was completely unnecessary. Their unprofessionalism has cost them a ton of access, even created some animosity over the years and their bitterness about that comes to the fore at every opportunity.

I know for a fact those perameters were set. To a certain extent it's the medias job to ignore them.

In this case they did so to their own detriment, asking questions to a guy they KNEW didn't have the answers then whining about it is what this is all about.

Those questions were inevitable and correct. It's why the first person to speak to them should have been a person with greater authority than the interim coach. It's pretty much what *every other pro team* does. Please don't blame the media.

Exactly.

And for what it's worth, the Bills did tell the press that Whaley would be holding a PC on Monday before Lynn ever came up.

Those questions were inevitable and correct. It's why the first person to speak to them should have been a person with greater authority than the interim coach. It's pretty much what *every other pro team* does. Please don't blame the media.

Reasonable and fair. So the biggest complaint/issue is that the Pegulas should have spoken to the press about firing Rex on Monday or Tuesday. I get it. But is that minor offense really equivalent with the way the media is portraying them?

Exactly.

And for what it's worth, the Bills did tell the press that Whaley would be holding a PC on Monday before Lynn ever came up.

Reasonable and fair. So the biggest complaint/issue is that the Pegulas should have spoken to the press about firing Rex on Monday or Tuesday. I get it. But is that minor offense really equivalent with the way the media is portraying them?

Don't get me wrong; it's not the end of the world. But it does speak to a real lack of polish/professionalism/courage among the management there. The team will survive.

good for you dave, but maybe it's not for you to decide what everyone else should do for a living and what their jobs are worth...wtf is that??! :huh:

I did a poor job of expressing what I meant. Sorry if I offended. For the record I truly believe every legal paying job is honorable as a job. I just hate opinionated sports reporters. I like the ones that hide their opinion or at least try.

Did you miss my sentence saying Berchtold didn't do his job?

As for blaming the media, they are complicit here. They were attempting to manufacture a sensational story where one simply didn't exist, especially in the face of the weekly coach's presser. AND THEY KNEW BETTER. There's a word for that kind of journalism. Damn right I'm gonna call them out on that. It's my responsibility as a consumer.

Did you miss my sentence saying Berchtold didn't do his job?

As for blaming the media, they are complicit here. They were attempting to manufacture a sensational story where one simply didn't exist, especially in the face of the weekly coach's presser. AND THEY KNEW BETTER. There's a word for that kind of journalism. Damn right I'm gonna call them out on that. It's my responsibility as a consumer.

What did they do wrong? It was their first and only chance before season's end to ask someone -- anyone! -- in authority about the clusterf**k that just happened. No self-respecting reporter would avoid asking those questions. They actually got some decent info too - Lynn said that it was a business decision, not a performance one, and that he wasn't involved in the decision.

What did they do wrong? It was their first and only chance before season's end to ask someone -- anyone! -- in authority about the clusterf**k that just happened. No self-respecting reporter would avoid asking those questions. They actually got some decent info too - Lynn said that it was a business decision, not a performance one, and that he wasn't involved in the decision.

What did they do wrong? How about asking questions of the wrong person at the wrong venue and KNOWING BETTER, for starters.

They got some real decent info? Really? Did anyone, especially those covering the team, really NOT know the decision to sit TT was strictly a business decision? Was anyone REALLY surprised to know Lynn wasn't a part of the decision given he wasn't the HC and privy to that decision at the time it was made on Monday?

Plenty of self-respecting reporters would have avoided those questions, given the venue, it's purpose, and who was fielding them. A Lynn wasn't the proper "authority" to field those questions in the first place. Reporters capable of checking their biases born out of acrimony with the subjects they seek info from would understand that. You know, actual professionals.

What, exactly, are you upset about with this press conference?

Its piss poor public relations. Rex getting fired is big news nationally. The first person to be questioned about anything even remotely related to it should be one of your top people. The owner, your GM, or your so called president. Not your freakin interim head coach who has a long way to go in the public speaking dept. Especially given the vultures that work for the BN. Sullivan made him look ridiculous on the starting qb decision. Not the kind of attention a team on a seventeen year playoff drought needs. Pretty obvious the press is gonna take that ball and run with it. Simply not handled properly. Right or wrong people notice these kind of things. Especially high profile head coaching candidates who might be very selective with where they may go for their first or second and likely last shot at a head job. There have been enough screw ups during Whaleys tenure. Some he was directly responsible for. Some he wasnt. Not hard to imagine that hes gone if they miss again next year. Which in and of itself is gonna make it hard to attract a great candidate. You simply dont need more negative attention. Now the entire organization is getting blasted nationally. Just not a headache this team needs right now. It hurts you with the coaching search. Also hurts you in free agency. Not that thats an issue with our salary cap situation. All could have likely been avoided if Whaley had held a presser prior to Lynn. They had time to put that together. They simply dropped the ball. Like they did giving Marrone an opt out with a free years pay. Like they did not insisting that Dareus' bonus be voided if he tested positive again for drugs. Like they did when they hired Ryan to begin with. And so on and so on. Just another black mark. I love the Pegulas. Firmly believe they will get it right eventually. Think they are absolutely on the right track with the hockey team. But they have alot to learn if they want this to be the model franchise we want it to be. Edited by TANK2

What cluster f*** ? They fired a coach. They appointed an interim one. They are sitting the QB for business/ contract reasons. Most of us completely understand exactly what is going on.