Bills are a joke of an organization

Jerry Jabber

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I see it in this business either you produce a winner or your gone. Rex had two years to turn this team into a winning franchise it didn't happen. Is it all his fault? NO you can look at the organization as a whole. Whaley has passed up on CARR AND MACK in the draft, They let Schwartz go? Watkins their #1 receiver gets hurt year after year. And the players especially on defense look as though they have quit on REX. They need to bring in a HC with a winning record and attitude to get this team turned around. If I was the PEGULAS I would go after Polian and Cowher, Open up your wallet or this team will never be a contender.

As I see it in this business either you produce a winner or your gone. Rex had two years to turn this team into a winning franchise it didn't happen. Is it all his fault? NO you can look at the organization as a whole. Whaley has passed up on CARR AND MACK in the draft, They let Schwartz go? Watkins their #1 receiver gets hurt year after year. And the players especially on defense look as though they have quit on REX. They need to bring in a HC with a winning record and attitude to get this team turned around. If I was the PEGULAS I would go after Polian and Cowher, Open up your wallet or this team will never be a contender.

As if there were any chance that Rex and Schwartz would co-exist. Sammy's 1st time missing extensive action is this season. Before 2016, he produced and played in 29 of 32 games. Sorry, but Polian and Cowher are coming to the rescue.

Pegulas have opened up their wallets - wide freaking open the last couple years. Like WIDE OPEN.

Think about this.

Whaley

Has the Owners Ear. Sits with the Owner Every Game. You think he has to leak anything lol

Obviously the owners are listening to the buffalo news for clues on what they should do with their franchise.

"Holy crap, they think we are going to fire Rex? Damn, we better get Whaley to start looking for a HC immediately!" :lol:

Think about this.

Whaley

Has the Owners Ear. Sits with the Owner Every Game. You think he has to leak anything lol

Awesome post dude. Absolute strawman though. You responded and earned your pay. WTF does Whaley sitting with the owners have to do with undermining the coach with the media. Answer absolutely nothing. Edited by jms62

Awesome post dude. Absolute strawman though. You responded and earned your pay. WTF does Whaley sitting with the owners have to do with undermining the coach with the media. Answer absolutely nothing.

Want a strawman argument. Fine.

Every person pinning this to Whaley. PROOF

Ooo yeah conspiracy never have em.

Again answer this question If Whaley and Pegula already decided to fire Ryan why does Whaley have to leak anything.

But hey logic is hard

Edited by MAJBobby

Want a strawman argument. Fine.

Every person pinning this to Whaley. PROOF

Ooo yeah conspiracy never have em.

Again answer this question If Whaley and Pegula already decided to fire Ryan why does Whaley have to leak anything.

But hey logic is hard

To undermine the coach he didnt like and !@#$ with his head. Prove that he didnt do it.

So you have established that Whaley leaked to the media to the point you can demand proof from someone that he didn't?

Listen it is absurd for someone to ask for proof on such a discussion,. That is Bobby's Modus Operandi asking for proof of something that no one can prove. If he is to go to that absurdity I figured give him a dose of equal absurdity.

Do you really think an organization like the Patriots, Steelers or Packers would leak to the media that they're going to be firing their HC with a few weeks left in the season, making the coach a lame duck coach and having the coach answer questions about his future for a few weeks?

The Patriots haven't fired a coach in 17 years, so it's a bit hypothetical. As far as I know, Bill runs the ship and it's a taut ship, so no, I don't. Any leakers would be shot into space, spacesuit optional.

The Packers have a very linear organization: Executive committee->CEO->GM->HC. All the sales and marketing and finance guys are off in another room. So No, I think if the GM had a quiet discussion with the CEO about his intentions, it would likely stay between them.

I know nothing about the Steelers, but as far as I can tell, they haven't fired a head coach since before many on this board were born (1969) so that's even more hypothetical than Belichick.

Did you read Kirby Jackson's posts on another thread, about how small market teams are organized? It read very true to me. The problem is that the Bills historically have a very collaborative organization, with responsibility spread throughout all aspects of the organization. The GM, Coach, and CEO/president report in parallel to the Owner. The salary and contract negotiation functions reside in the CEO/president's reporting line. If the GM wants to lobby for a change, he has to go up to the Owner, the Owner has to come down through the CEO/president to discuss contract implications; if they're having the sort of weekly meetings Kirby described, each person has 3-4 people reporting to them who are getting some sort of gouge on possible developments so they can plan how it affects their part of the business. That sort of organizational model lends itself to being a leaky sieve, especially if you have "lifers" who are mourning the "good old days" and deeply resent any attempt to change the organizational culture or structure (I believe the "Whaley's gone rogue" Fredex cut was an example of changed structure causing resentment in people left out of the loop)

Yes, it's dysfunctional, and I would personally, were I Pegs, say this has to stop, heads will roll.

On the other hand, when the Bills D was observed to have not improved from last year despite all the draft picks and signings and extra coaching assistants, when stupid penalties and fundamental coaching mistakes like 12 men or 10 men on field were still seen to occur, I believe there would have been speculation and media reports of Rex's imminent firing with or without the leakage.

To undermine the coach he didnt like and !@#$ with his head. Prove that he didnt do it.

Dude, it's really pretty practically impossible to prove a negative. The burden of proof properly rests with the person making a claim.

Did you see what happened with the players during that Steeler game? It's like the gave up once they heard the news that Ryan was going to be fired. Someone in the FO didn't want to see Ryan succeed and basically submarined Ryan by letting that info slip to the media.

It kinda tells me it was Doug Whaley as it was stated that he wanted to see what Cardale Jones could do as the starter. Probably thinking that he had another Dak Prescott.

Dude, you're making no sense. The Bills players heard Rex might be fired so the D stiffened up and held the Steelers to FG at the end of the game, while scoring back to back late TDs, because they were giving up because Rex might be fired?

But they folded the previous week in the 4th Q and let Oak score 15 uncontested points because they hadn't gotten the news yet and were happy to think Rex would keep coaching them.

Riiiiiiiiiggggghhhhht.

Meanwhile, Whaley's job is on the line if he doesn't build a winner and he'd never get another coaching job if he were thought to backstab his coaches, so clearly it musta been him.

And who stated Whaley wanted to see what Cardale Jones could do? On Dec 16th, Whaley went on WGR and publically said Cardale needs more time, let him learn, no plans for him to play.

I think the Bills know very well that Cardale Jones, with his minimal starting time, is no where near Dak Prescott.

The stuff folks come up with. I'm glad I don't have and have never had a job involving public scrutiny.

The Patriots haven't fired a coach in 17 years, so it's a bit hypothetical. As far as I know, Bill runs the ship and it's a taut ship, so no, I don't. Any leakers would be shot into space, spacesuit optional.

The Packers have a very linear organization: Executive committee->CEO->GM->HC. All the sales and marketing and finance guys are off in another room. So No, I think if the GM had a quiet discussion with the CEO about his intentions, it would likely stay between them.

I know nothing about the Steelers, but as far as I can tell, they haven't fired a head coach since before many on this board were born (1969) so that's even more hypothetical than Belichick.

Did you read Kirby Jackson's posts on another thread, about how small market teams are organized? It read very true to me. The problem is that the Bills historically have a very collaborative organization, with responsibility spread throughout all aspects of the organization. The GM, Coach, and CEO/president report in parallel to the Owner. The salary and contract negotiation functions reside in the CEO/president's reporting line. If the GM wants to lobby for a change, he has to go up to the Owner, the Owner has to come down through the CEO/president to discuss contract implications; if they're having the sort of weekly meetings Kirby described, each person has 3-4 people reporting to them who are getting some sort of gouge on possible developments so they can plan how it affects their part of the business. That sort of organizational model lends itself to being a leaky sieve, especially if you have "lifers" who are mourning the "good old days" and deeply resent any attempt to change the organizational culture or structure (I believe the "Whaley's gone rogue" Fredex cut was an example of changed structure causing resentment in people left out of the loop)

Yes, it's dysfunctional, and I would personally, were I Pegs, say this has to stop, heads will roll.

On the other hand, when the Bills D was observed to have not improved from last year despite all the draft picks and signings and extra coaching assistants, when stupid penalties and fundamental coaching mistakes like 12 men or 10 men on field were still seen to occur, I believe there would have been speculation and media reports of Rex's imminent firing with or without the leakage.

Dude, it's really pretty practically impossible to prove a negative. The burden of proof properly rests with the person making a claim.

Great post. Now if I came out and said do you have proof that is how things went down what would your reaction be Dude? My point was/is asking for proof on a !@#$ing message board to shut down coversation is a joke. All we are doing is speculating we aren't in a court room.

and remember when Ralph was alive and all we wanted was a rich owner who spends money?

That's why I just smh at all the idiotic fans giving crap to the Pegula's. They are spending everything it takes to win here in Buffalo. They're trying. That's all you can ask for.

And they're new to this team ownership thing. There's no college course that prepares you for owning an NFL franchise. They're learning from their mistakes right now and will get better with time and experience. Get off their backs, folks.

and remember when Ralph was alive and all we wanted was a rich owner who spends money?

Spending money does not always equal winning. Do people forget how the Redskins spent a stupid amount of money and still sucked!

I will state it again you have a new owner who is learning the ropes. Going by the ONLY example I know, Bob Kraft, who stated he screwed things up learning (over riding Parcells in the draft and taking Glenn as an example.) until he finally hired BB to be in charge of football Ops and it's run like a fine oiled machine ever since. IMO that's what the Bills new owner needs to do, find a set up that works for him and makes Buffalo successful again. I mean he has only owned the team 2 years.

That sort of organizational model lends itself to being a leaky sieve, especially if you have "lifers" who are mourning the "good old days" and deeply resent any attempt to change the organizational culture or structure (I believe the "Whaley's gone rogue" Fredex cut was an example of changed structure causing resentment in people left out of the loop)

Isn't it funny that many of the same fans / media members blasting the Bills for the leaks are the same people who blasted the Bills for not informing everyone and their mother that Freddy was being released.

Isn't it funny that many of the same fans / media members blasting the Bills for the leaks are the same people who blasted the Bills for not informing everyone and their mother that Freddy was being released.

Not sure it's the same fans, and I think the fan complaint was just that he'd been released at all.

Media I can't tell you, I make a deliberate effort not to follow the B'lo media so much. I see "leaks" as the problem both times, though.

Spending money does not always equal winning. Do people forget how the Redskins spent a stupid amount of money and still sucked!

I will state it again you have a new owner who is learning the ropes. Going by the ONLY example I know, Bob Kraft, who stated he screwed things up learning (over riding Parcells in the draft and taking Glenn as an example.) until he finally hired BB to be in charge of football Ops and it's run like a fine oiled machine ever since. IMO that's what the Bills new owner needs to do, find a set up that works for him and makes Buffalo successful again. I mean he has only owned the team 2 years.

That Cheaters are an anomaly. And Belichick didn't look so hot his first go around in Cleveland and things didn't look too great his first year and 2 games in Cheaterland. Then he stumbled onto Brady, who has been remarkably durable. I'll be waiting to see how they look once Brady is done.

That Cheaters are an anomaly. And Belichick didn't look so hot his first go around in Cleveland and things didn't look too great his first year and 2 games in Cheaterland. Then he stumbled onto Brady, who has been remarkably durable. I'll be waiting to see how they look once Brady is done.

The Pats were a playoff team before BB showed up, even went to the SB and lost to the Packers. (Tuna threw that game away.. kicking it away like that. Grrr lol)

Pats will be fine when Brady retires, maybe not SB contenders every year but still a competitive team as long as they keep FOOTBALL people in charge of FOOTBALL decisions. IMO the true test of the set up will be when the head of football Ops retires, aka BB. That's when the structure will have be reset a bit.

Also people really have to look at Cleveland with BB he brought them to the playoffs and won a playoff game. Then the owner announced they were moving and the wheels fell off.. BB was going be successful in Cleveland till the owner screwed Cleveland and BB over. But a clear case of people remembering only the last year and not the body of work done.

Edited by PatsFanNH

One thing is for sure, the Bills are a joke of an organization. The fed Anthony Lynn to the wolves today and he stumbled over the question about EJ playing, which he had to back track as he tried not to throw his employers under the bus. The way they leaked info to the media weeks ago about Rex getting fired is embarrassing. What respectable coach would want to work for an organization that does things like that to their employees? The only thing different between the Bills and Browns are their win/loss record, otherwise both organizations are poorly managed and do the most asinine things.

I have zero confidence that whoever the Bills hire as HC will be able to make it to the playoffs. How long do you give the Pegula's to finally blow everything up like they did with the Sabres and clean house (meaning Whaley & his HC get canned)?

I'm going with less than two full seasons.

One thing I always enjoy aboout OBD is the fans' unbridled optimism.

I think I should have elaborated a little more. With successful franchises like the Patriots, Steelers and Packers (just to name a few), we don't hear about information being leaked to the media from people within the organization, whether it's a HC or coordinator being on the hot seat, a player possibly being cut, a player falling out of favor with the organization, etc... With the Bills on the other hand, especially since Whaley has been around, a lot of information has been leaked to the media, such as when Marrone and Whaley wanted new trainers because they felt the trainer was using outdated procedures such as "stim and Ice" as well as fighting with the old regime as they had the attitude "this is how we've always done things." The handling of the Fred Jackson situation is another issue. Rex being on the hot seat which started last offseason (and even Jim Kelly stated so as well). The difference is night and day between the Bills and other successful organizations. With info constantly being leaked to the media, it shows to the rest of the NFL that the Bills are a dysfunctional group.

In 2013, Brandon ranted and raved about how the Bills brand has been tarnished and that he would leave no stone unturned in finding a new HC, then settled on the third coach he interviewed [Marrone]. Terry Pegula asked Brandon about interviewing coaching candidates and how he would know when they have the "right guy." Brandon replied that you have to have no pre-conceived notions and no expectations going into the interview and just like with dating, you just know if the person is the "right one." That right there is pathetic! You have to have a vision on what your business (and in this case, sports team) should be about, not just hope success will fall into your lap. But with the advice Brandon gave Pegula, it's no wonder that Rex got the job because Rex is a talker, he loves football and he talked his way into the position, even though he was not great at being a HC as his track record with the Jets proved it to be. Rex's track record with the Jets should have been taken into high consideration. Now, it's been announced that the GM [Whaley] is going to conduct the new HC search...shouldn't the GM have been the one to conduct and select a HC all along? Now it seems that if this new HC does not workout, ownership/management will pin this on Whaley and will fire him if this new HC fails to live up to expectations.

I know the Pegula's are learning as they go. I thought they would have learned from their mistakes with the Sabres as they kept Ruff and Regier, then fired them two years later after they saw the team was not meeting their expectations. When the Pegula's bought the team and saw that the product they bought has been failing for 15 years (at that time), they should have cleaned house and brought in their own people. I see them making the exact mistakes as they did with the Sabres, they most likely will fire Whaley and his new HC in two to three years (possibly fire more people) and then decide to bring in new management at that time. I hope I'm wrong, but the Bills are never going to win the AFC East, let alone be a wild card team unless they get a very good/elite QB to compete against Brady and the Patriots. Over this playoff drought, it seems the Bills flip flop which side of the team becomes good and which side is terrible. The first year with Bledsoe, the offense was good, but the defense was bad. The next two years, the defense was very good, but the offense was bad. We've seen Special Teams jump from bad to good and back to bad again. When Marrone was here, the offense was bad, but the defense improved under Pettine and became very good under Schwartz. Under Rex, the offense improved each year, while the defense regressed. There has been no consistency with this team.